"Dimensions" or some parallel world mod (Now a Mystcraft thread)

PringleMan

So I was playing earlier today and remembered that a while ago there was a mod that allowed you to store multiple worlds and move between them via command signs. The one I remembered was used for Bukkit before multiple dimensions were stable(ish) and so there could be a world with just the nether and a world with just the overworld, connected by a portal.

I was wondering if anyone knew of anything SSP that could do this? My limited search of the MCF turned up nothing, but if you know of anything let me know.

For that matter if anyone knows a current Bukkit plugin and is willing to toss me a link that would be swell as well.

Cheers!

Re: "Dimensions" or some parallel world mod

I don't think it's exactly what you're looking for, but there is the mod Mystcraft that adds randomly generated worlds, linking them by crafting special books. Each new world will generate with a certain list of varying properties, things like a single biome, skyblocks, heavy resources, and all that good stuff.

I don't know if there are any heavy conflicts with Technic, and I'm not sure if there is multiplayer capability, but it's something, anyway.

I don't think it's exactly what you're looking for, but there is the mod Mystcraft that adds randomly generated worlds, linking them by crafting special books. Each new world will generate with a certain list of varying properties, things like a single biome, skyblocks, heavy resources, and all that good stuff.

I don't know if there are any heavy conflicts with Technic, and I'm not sure if there is multiplayer capability, but it's something, anyway.

that actually sounds particularly awesome. Got a link or a name?

Just tried it and there are definitely some issues with Mystcraft and technic. For starters it is incompatible with forge without the use of an external forge compatibility, and secondly it does not load with modloader. It is a minecraft-jar-mod, and a quick test showed that it pretty much broke technic right away.

I imagine it could probably be fixed if we found out exactly what is borked with it, but I do not have the time to mess with it right now sadly.

Still, if someone else can figure it would I think it would make for a great supporting mod in Technic. Don't be expecting integration though, devs already said they would not touch it at all.

Just tried it and there are definitely some issues with Mystcraft and technic. For starters it is incompatible with forge without the use of an external forge compatibility, and secondly it does not load with modloader. It is a minecraft-jar-mod, and a quick test showed that it pretty much broke technic right away.

I imagine it could probably be fixed if we found out exactly what is borked with it, but I do not have the time to mess with it right now sadly.

Still, if someone else can figure it would I think it would make for a great supporting mod in Technic. Don't be expecting integration though, devs already said they would not touch it at all.

Where did they say they wouldn't touch it?

The fact that there is a forge patch negates the problem of forge incompatability, and it's perfectly possible that it just needs to be loaded before or after something specific in order to work properly.

Where did they say they wouldn't touch it?

The fact that there is a forge patch negates the problem of forge incompatability, and it's perfectly possible that it just needs to be loaded before or after something specific in order to work properly.

Back channels >_>

I have a list of the classes in minecraft.jar that it conflicts with. There are 14 classes plus the lang and the items.png that have a conflict. I am going to try breaking them down and seeing if there are direct conflicts or just lines to be added. If the former, as I said not enough time. If the latter I might try and make a technic patch for this.

edit: Well, I cannot seem to get forge to give me a deobfuscated list so I cannot get in to see which files were changed. If someone wants I can forward them the list of changed classes but I really do not have time to do this myself.

edit2: Is there a way to launch through the technic launcher and get a debug post when it crashes? It just occurred to me I could see where and when it is crashing that way.

Change modloader.cfg logging to FINEST and look at the logs; Pretty much everything is in there.

If you decide to give up, go ahead and throw it at me, but I am haphazard and tend to slack, so it's better if you look at it first, because it might take me forever. :P

Interestingly enough, it seems to not be crashing in the conventional sense. E.G. It is not forcing the window shut, it is hiccuping somewhere and sticking there.

This was the result of the log with modloader set to Logging=FINEST. This is the complete log given once I told it to close after letting it sit for about 10 minutes. The modloader.txt from the technicSSP folder is not more helpful. My interpretation is that replacing the forge files that it does in the JAR is likely removing or re-writing some of the methods causing it to freeze. There is also a line in there about a screw up in the en_US.lang, which was probably the biggest concern since Technic does change some things in the Lang file I believe.

Jakj, I promise this was not my intent from the beginning but I have too many finals coming up to spend a significant time on this. The files (obfuscated) that it changes in the minecraft.jar are:

os.class

ra.class

xd.class

aaj.class

alb.class

aia.class

fr.class

As well as the items.png in GUI and the en_US/lang

This is with the 1.2.5 version of the mod (internal 0.8.0) with the unofficial 0.8.0 forge compatibility patch. According to his own writeup it also changes something with modloader though I do not know what.

Somewhat fewer than what I initially said, I think I might have put the wrong version in the wrong place, not really sure what happened there. The error log I was able to get is below.

That's basically a checksum error...interesting. It does just sound like things are getting installed incorrectly, or they're wrong from the start and show that as a symptom. I shall mess with it when I happen to mess with it, but if anyone else reading this wants to try also, I encourage it.

(Note: You see two stack traces but that's actually only one error; The first one is only reporting that something went wrong, and then it prints out what actually went wrong.)

I am going to edit out that chunk of code, that was the launcher log not the technic ssp log. will post it as an edit in this post, but I want to give it time to be sure it is failing.

edit: So here is the modloader.txt from the technicssp folder. It seems like modloader just is not seeing it as a thing at all, which is expected since it is dropped in to the minecraft.jar. The thing is, loading it as a zip the way a modloader mod would does nothing. It does not crash, but it is not in game. On his thread he says to do it the oldschool way, which is what I did. My method of install was to combine the forge patch and the mod in a unique folder, then drop the contents of that folder into the minecraft.jar. Old school.

*uploaded as an attachment because the log exceeds char limit*

:/ Double post but it is different than the last post so w/e

For anyone who was wondering I just slapped the wormhole xtreme plugin onto my tekkit server and it is actually pretty cool. The command structure is a tad clunky to be honest, but the easy creation of valid shapes and ability to customize your gates is pretty neat. As well it handles both direct gating and sign-menu gating (as in can select a gate from the sign).

Modloader doesn't care whether or not it's in the mods directory or the minecraft.jar/modpack.jar: All it does is go through the mods directory, load anything extending BaseMod, and then walk through the net.minecraft.src namespace loading them all. You could take your entire mods directory and paste it into modpack.jar and it would work just fine.

Have you tried installing this thing in a vanilla .jar with nothing except its absolute prerequisites? If that works, then we would have to work on things one-by-one to see what's going on, but if that doesn't work, then it's a fundamental compatibility or installation error that we'd have to iron out.

Modloader doesn't care whether or not it's in the mods directory or the minecraft.jar/modpack.jar: All it does is go through the mods directory, load anything extending BaseMod, and then walk through the net.minecraft.src namespace loading them all. You could take your entire mods directory and paste it into modpack.jar and it would work just fine.

Have you tried installing this thing in a vanilla .jar with nothing except its absolute prerequisites? If that works, then we would have to work on things one-by-one to see what's going on, but if that doesn't work, then it's a fundamental compatibility or installation error that we'd have to iron out.

It works fine on vanilla minecraft and from the post has ZERO prereqs, in fact it seems to have small problems with most mod APIs (it replaces on of modloaders files). Not fully tested, I didn't install TMI/NEI yet and thus I still need to get some stuff to run a test on it. Just removed META-INF.

It replaces one of Modloader's files? Oh good lord, why. Well, if it's that deep into replacing base classes, I just lost the desire to dick with it, unless community enthusiasm for the mod becomes huge.

I'm not saying it's any less possible: It certainly is possible, as I've already replaced a Minecraft base class myself while including Forge code. But it just shouldn't be necessary.

I just verified that it works with vanilla.

The file that it replaces from modloader supposedly is one of the ancillary features, and is supposed to only break it a little. Unfortunately it seems it is breaking it a lot.

edit: I lied about the SMP thing. The forge patch is client only

It replaces one of Modloader's files? Oh good lord, why. Well, if it's that deep into replacing base classes, I just lost the desire to dick with it, unless community enthusiasm for the mod becomes huge.

I'm not saying it's any less possible: It certainly is possible, as I've already replaced a Minecraft base class myself while including Forge code. But it just shouldn't be necessary.

Here is the list from the OP:

Compatibility

ModLoader: Modloader has changed and now modifies alb.class. This conflicts with Mystcraft. Installing Mystcraft after ModLoader seems to work, but this may break some ModLoader functionality.

ModLoaderMP: The client version is natively compatible (Verified for 0.7.10). A ModLoaderMP server compatibility patch is available for older versions; See the downloads section.

Forge: A Forge compatibility patch is available for older versions; See the downloads section. There presently isn't a patch for the current version.

Millenaire: Mystcraft and Millenaire seem to be natively compatible. Verified for 0.7.9

Better Than Wolves: It has been reported that Mystcraft and BTW are compatible. I'm not sure by what miracle this is possible. Turns out the same issue with the BuddyBlock persists. Otherwise they seem compatible (As of 0.7.11).

I make no guarantees as to compatibility with other mods, including the ones listed above.

whoever the guy making the patches will, yea. The patches are from a secondary person which is from what I gathered the main reason why the technic guys are hesitant to mess with this.

Layer 1) Original minecraft base class.

Layer 2) Modified by Modloader.

Layer 3) Modified by this mod.

Layer 4) Possibly modified by something added by Technic.

That's a lot of damn layers to maintain. Too risky.

Oh I was not questioning it. I would not want to touch it with a twenty foot pole were I in their positions.

However as a player I have an interest in this so I am at least open to the idea of tinkering. Or would be if I did not have a test in all five physics classes this week and finals a week and a half later lol.