"Dimensions" or some parallel world mod (Now a Mystcraft thread)

PringleMan

My only excuse is too much Skyrim. :D But hey, Minecraft will still be here when either one of us gets around to it. Either we're worth waiting for, or nobody's losing anything anyway. Win-win.

Dang, I got too excited about checking out ages that I forgot to make a linking book... Gaaaah.

The fellow who makes the patches seems to be pretty active so I will just put this on back burner for a couple of days and see what happens. I might even contact him to see if he can get something worked out for us.

Edit: So some progress. Sort of. Potential major herp derp on my part. I remembered suddenly that the 1.2.5 version is just a placeholder, and that if you check the MC version in game it is in fact 1.2.3. I was trying to put the 1.2.5 version of the mod with the 1.2.5 forge patch onto the 1.2.3 version of MC. >_<

We have now moved on from it crashing the client when it loads to not doing anything. Modloader.txt still shows a whole lot of nothing getting loaded. It is possible that I also pulled the wrong forge patch down as I am not entirely sure which forge version technic has. I just went with the most recent one for the 1.2.3 version of MC.

Anyone played with this at all? I was able to identify in the 1.2.5 version that it will work with the API set (ModLoader, ModLoaderMP, MCForge, Matmos) and ExtraBiomes. It also seemed to be ok with Computer craft, Millenaire, and Railcraft once you adjusted a couple of block IDs.

I still cannot get access to an error post for our 1.2.3 version crashes.

I have this lovely mental image after watching the mod spotlight:

A flat, endless ocean world with heavy resources. A large, imposing structure housing a supply depot, with the view from the top being BC quarry frames (64*64) and piping as far as the view can render....

Theming every age you write to favour a different project or mod. Each Age a showcase in itself.

Kinda makes me wish I knew a little more about coding and modding so I could help make that happen. Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this would be a beautiful addition to a Technic build.

It looks like the latest version (0.8.1) for MC 1.2.5 no has 'official' forge support. Not a patch but a standalone download not needing the normal client download.

Does anyone knows if this helps with current compatibility issues?

It looks like the latest version (0.8.1) for MC 1.2.5 no has 'official' forge support. Not a patch but a standalone download not needing the normal client download.

Does anyone knows if this helps with current compatibility issues?

I'm confused. Are you saying he's distributing a pre-modded full minecraft client?

Sorry about that. My mistake for not being clear enough.

I'm not at my desktop right now so I can't properly check, but these are the author's words:

"'Official' Forge Patches are up on the Mystcraft Downloads page. I've verified they work, but not that they work with specific mods.

These 'patches' are standalone, in that you don't need to download the normal Mystcraft distributables; just install the mystcraft 'patch' over forge. Hopefully that is simpler for everyone and it should have fewer issues."

I was mostly wondering if someone with more technical skill than me had a chance to look yet.

Oh, that just sounds like what I did with my tweaks. All he does is compile the Forge code into his code, so the Forge-compatible version simply includes the bits that he otherwise would obliterate. It's the best way to do it until Eloraam's/ChickenBones's grand individual-class-overloading scheme comes to fruition.

Im going to pretend I understand the mechanics of what you guys are talking about, and simply make a comment/ brought up issue about the mod.

Mystcraft would be a great addition, but their is one issue, its OP-niis(i know that isn't a word) With only a sugar cane plantation and a chicken coop, someone can gain access to an infinite amount of already generated resources and building space, especially helpful for someone making large factories. Unless the mod maker has it toned down for SMP, do you really think it will not make the pack a little too easy?

If I recall what I read correctly about the proposed development on the mod's site, the author is planning to implement more expensive recipes for things like the descriptive and linking books. So the ease of access will be dealt with at some point. The instability/decay mechanic also limits some of the exploitation of resources. Hopefully that should allay a few fears.

For myself, it makes no difference. All I'm concerned with is the potential flavour that the underlying idea adds to what is already a content-rich collection.

I know this mod won't be to everyone's taste so I'm not going to be a rabid fanboy about it. Basically: I like it. I'd use it. I'd have fun doing so. If it doesn't end up in the pack then I am capable of (eventually) implementing it manually.

Speaking of which, Jakj. Your work that I've seen and read about on the boards has inspired me to learn how to deal with mods in more detail. After several hours of research, reading and experimentation I have been able to manually add in several mods, remove mods causing complex issues and resolve some simple block id conflicts. As a result I have a mod combination that contains most of what I want, and seems relatively stable. I just wanted to say thanks for that, I'm more confident in messing around with this awesome game now.

Good deal, man. That is the point of the Technic Pack, after all: To make manageable what is otherwise unmanageable. Even though I'm not part of the Team, it's good to know you're better able to have a pleasant modded-Minecraft experience through this project.

The recipes do need to be more expensive, but realistically when you go to that new world it is going to generate several chunks with some world customization. As near as can be told there best you can tweak this resource-wise is to say heavy resources, but that is not really THAT much more than a normal world. So as far as it being OP for going and finding resources it is no more OP than walking out to the edge of your world, forcing a new chunk spawn, and digging down. Same thing with building space, there is literally nothing that limits your building space in MC other than world height. Granted you might have to level a mountain, but that is something that CAN be done. Hell you can even set up a BC filler to fill air into the space the mountain is occupying and have it cleared out automatically. As far as I know there is no "flat grass" world options for a custom age, so anything you gen is just going to be a new world.

What makes them nifty are the large variety of worlds and settings you can get. None of them are particularly "OMG I need to go there" but they are cool. Which is why I put forth the idea of including it as a supporting mod, not a primary mod. This is the sort of thing that the Yogscast would go bananas over, but for Technic/Tekkit it is really just a neat change of pace from your main world for a while.

is there any eta on determining exactly how to fix the incompatibility issue?

Don't do that.

Also, they don't provide support for non-Technic mods. Whether they include it at any time in the future is up to them and not for us to decide (or be informed of), but in the mean time, there is no "fix". If some community member decides to make a patch to allow you to install it into a Technic release, great, but the devs won't do it for you.

Well, I did some further researching myself and as far as I can tell it mostly plays nice with the majority of the mods that are in technic if you get past block id conflicts.

I followed some advice from Direwolf20 (youtube LP minecraft, well worth watching) and set up a MultiMC install with most of the stuff I liked from Technic and a few extras.

I used the 4096 id fixmod, moved some conflicting ids around and made sure Mystcraft loads after Modloader. So far it runs fine under 1.2.5, but I haven't had the chance to do some serious stress testing on the build. So the compatibility seems doable with some effort.

As to the current rec build of Technic, I'm afraid I can't help you there. There are some mods, such as Millenaire, that definitely don't work with it, and I haven't tried the older versions for previous MC builds.

Well, now that Jeb has gotten the ants out of his pants and mods are able to catch up, it's looking like a new rec. build (for 1.2.3, if not for 1.2.5) is going ahead at full steam, so the current rec. build is of less concern.

Now that I've had time to do some heavier testing I have found a couple of incompatibilities with Mystcraft and a couple of other mods.

First is Wireless Redstone (ChickenBone version), which causes a saving chunks crash on travelling to a new age. I don't speak java well enough to properly identify it, I'm not asking for any support as I know these aren't Technic mods, but I can edit and attach the crash log if people are interested. As far as I can tell from my very limited knowledge and application of logic reading the log, it lies in the minecraft.jar classes that the mods interact with.

Second was discovered after disabling Wireless Redstone. On travelling to a new age the frame rate plummets and keeps fluctuating heavily. Doing some research I found reference to a bug with RedPower that causes a cycle of infinite chunks loading that has been identified by the author but not corrected in a release yet.

Again, I am not looking for support. I'm more than happy to switch Mystcraft out of my mod-heavy build into another one that I'm working on, I'm just putting this up so that others who are interested have more information.

I assume Mystcraft requires base-class overrides to be put into the modpack.jar?

What you need to do is start with a fresh Technic, then look at each file that you put in the modpack.jar but first see if that file is already in the modpack.jar.

It is possible to decompile, merge, and recompile such files to make them compatible. (Example: If you have abc.class in mod A and mod B, mod A might modify the function Func1(), and the other might modify Func2(), but because you cannot override members but only full classes, they both have to distribute abc.class. But what you can do is create a new abc.class that includes both the new Func1() and the new Func2().)

This is, however, a lot of work, and has to be re-done for each new version of Minecraft or Technic, so I doubt you'd find anyone willing to do that for 1.1 at this point, but probably people might for 1.2.5 when that recommended build comes out. Keep it in the back of your mind, and post again when that happens.

Sorry, I had left a word out of my post by mistake. I had meant to say 'Minecraft.jar base classes'. So I'm thinking that you're correct.

It also looks like it is another issue that has been reported as well as the RedPower one, so a fix may be arranged eventually. Fortunately I'm working with 1.2.5 MC already (not using technic for my test builds), so hopefully won't be waiting too long. Like I said, in the meantime I'll just move Mystcraft into a different build.