High CPU Usage

bluestreek

I am running attack of the b team on my dedicated server. With 3 ppl on it uses 50% cpu usage and 100% for long peroids of time on one core. Any ideas if this is normal?

Edit: seems like the RAM is also filling up after about 30 mins. Doesn't matter how much I give it.

Edited by bluestreek

I have the same problem. But with mine... I have 60 people on my server at a time. All is going well until the single core of death happens when the servers CPU which is usually at around 190ish% goes to 100% on one core. We have troubleshooted many times and have optimized our java arguments to no success. Also we have tried playing on a blank modpack on another server and we established it is NOT our hardware and that it is the modpack. These lag spikes usually happen for around 10sec to 2 minutes

Most Extreme Example:

1  [|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||100.0%]     5  [                                       0.0%]

2  [                                       0.0%]     6  [                                       0.0%]

3  [|                                      0.7%]     7  [                                       0.0%]

4  [                                       0.0%]     8  [                                       0.0%]

Typical Example:

1  [||                                     2.6%]     5  [|||||                                  7.9%]

2  [||                                     3.3%]     6  [||                                     2.0%]

3  [||                                     2.6%]     7  [|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||100.0%]

4  [||                                     2.6%]     8  [||                                     2.6%]

My Java Arguments: java -Xms8G -Xmx12G -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseAdaptiveGCBoundary -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:ParallelGCThreads=8 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:-UseGCOverheadLimit -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:SurvivorRatio=8 -XX:UseSSE=3 -server -Djline.terminal=jline.UnsupportedTerminal -jar mcpc.jar nogui

I have tried to combat this by splitting my server that had 90+ on it into 2 servers with 60 players max. This does not fix the CPU going to one core but has minimized server crashing when this happens.

Typical Lag Spike when 2 servers are running:

1  [|||||||||||||||||        53.3%]     5  [||||||||                 21.9%]
  2  [||||                      8.1%]     6  [||||||                   18.2%]
  3  [|||||||||||              35.3%]     7  [||||||||||||||||||||||||100.0%]
  4  [|||||||||||              32.9%]     8  [||||||                   18.5%]

This is effecting the gameplay of my players and every servers players I've been on. 

Please fix this!

warleysa - Owner of Sanctuary's Cove
Edited by swar2345

I have the same problem. But with mine... I have 60 people on my server at a time. All is going well until the single core of death happens when the servers CPU which is usually at around 190ish% goes to 100% on one core. We have troubleshooted many times and have optimized our java arguments to no success. Also we have tried playing on a blank modpack on another server and we established it is NOT our hardware and that it is the modpack. These lag spikes usually happen for around 10sec to 2 minutes

Most Extreme Example:

1  [|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||100.0%]     5  [                                       0.0%]

2  [                                       0.0%]     6  [                                       0.0%]

3  [|                                      0.7%]     7  [                                       0.0%]

4  [                                       0.0%]     8  [                                       0.0%]

Typical Example:

1  [||                                     2.6%]     5  [|||||                                  7.9%]

2  [||                                     3.3%]     6  [||                                     2.0%]

3  [||                                     2.6%]     7  [|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||100.0%]

4  [||                                     2.6%]     8  [||                                     2.6%]

My Java Arguments: java -Xms8G -Xmx12G -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseAdaptiveGCBoundary -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:ParallelGCThreads=8 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:-UseGCOverheadLimit -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:SurvivorRatio=8 -XX:UseSSE=3 -server -Djline.terminal=jline.UnsupportedTerminal -jar mcpc.jar nogui

I have tried to combat this by splitting my server that had 90+ on it into 2 servers with 60 players max. This does not fix the CPU going to one core but has minimized server crashing when this happens.

Typical Lag Spike when 2 servers are running:

1  [|||||||||||||||||        53.3%]     5  [||||||||                 21.9%]
  2  [||||                      8.1%]     6  [||||||                   18.2%]
  3  [|||||||||||              35.3%]     7  [||||||||||||||||||||||||100.0%]
  4  [|||||||||||              32.9%]     8  [||||||                   18.5%]

This is effecting the gameplay of my players and every servers players I've been on. 

Please fix this!

warleysa - Owner of Sanctuary's Cove

Really appreciate you taking the time for that detailed reply! Hopefully someone will be able to figure this out :/ I have tried all different launch options aswell and it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Do you also have the problem of the RAM filling up?

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I was fairly certain MC doesn't multithread at all. Thus, the idea that one CPU core is at 100% would not be a great surprise, surely? What processors are your servers running? Because it may just be terrain generation, for example, causing these spikes. Minecraft, even just vanilla, is an intensive game.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I was fairly certain MC doesn't multithread at all. Thus, the idea that one CPU core is at 100% would not be a great surprise, surely? What processors are your servers running? Because it may just be terrain generation, for example, causing these spikes. Minecraft, even just vanilla, is an intensive game.

Its a XEON E3 1270v3. I don't think it should be at 100% on one core with 2-3 players online.

Mine is a Intel Xeon E3 1245v2, 4 core/8 threads, 3.4+ GHz, 32 GB Ram, 2 x 120 GB SSD (Hyperthreading). This is not just my problem. Here is what my team and I have done: Java Profiled the Modpack (Only found abnormally large amounts of TCP connections during the lag spikes), Turned off turbo boost then proceeded to turn it back on, Optimize the plugins and configs (To Find what could be causing this - Found nothing), Ran a bukkit timing profile, and tested the server with Opis and TickProfiler with no results of what was causing this or why the spikes were so random. I have tried everything. I am running the Updated version of MCPC+. Also I find it odd that these lag spikes happen when no plugins at all are present on both of my servers. 

My servers:

- Intel Xeon E3 1245v2, 4 core/8 threads, 3.4+ GHz, 32 GB Ram, 2 x 120 GB SSD (Hyperthreading)

- Intel i5 (4 core/4 Thread), 3.1 GHz (3.8Ghz Turbo Boost), Ram: 16 GB DDR3, 2 x 1TB SATA2

I am not the only one with this problem. I have visited all the servers on bteamserverlist.com and ALL of these servers have similar problems. I believe it is a problem with the mod pack. 

So, Minecraft is not particularly good at bunching its data up before sending packets to the client. A large number of TCP connections suggests the server is sending a large number of individual bits of data, of course. It sounds to me like someone is flying very fast, and loading in huge numbers of chunks very quickly. Have you considered doing what the B-Team guys did and using chunk loading programs to pre-generate the terrain?

Yes. I have generated my chunks up to 4000 blocks away from spawn with WorldBorder Plugin. This is not my problem. Chunk loading would not affect all the CPU flooding one thread/core and using 100% of that when usually the entire B-Team Server process is using around 200% with 40 players on. It is not somebody flying very fast because I know this type of lag. Also, I tried a plugin that limits flying speed to the normal/slow rate and this did not work. This type of lag (Chunk loading) does not flood one core and also commands would go through during this time of flying. On top of that, I have been running servers for quite a while now either being an admin, server manager, or owner and I know what effects happen when people fly very fast. Commands still go through. Just take a a few seconds. This is not an issue of chunk loading. 

I have looked into all my settings, plugins and mod configs. The only explanation is that one of the mods is sending data to the mod developer or something of that nature.

This is a problem with the modpack because EVERY other server on this modpack is having it, not just me. I have run a voltz server with 80+ people on it fine without even filling the chunks in. Also, I am a Sr. Admin on a Lapito's Galacticraft Modpack and do not experience these issues (Except that modpack running out of memory... lol). This is obviously in the pack itself. But when I get on my bteam server next ill bring everybody to spawn and set the world border at 200 just to see if it is the chunk loading. 

Unfortunately it is not that easy of a fix. 

Edited by swar2345

try disabling the minions and/or inventory tweaks? they have been known to interact in...odd...ways as far as memory handling is concerned.

In single player this is apparently not much of a problem, but on a server, memory leak interaction can cause weird issues.

In addition, in the past (not sure about the present) furniture mod was known to be a bit leaky.

Minions mod has been disabled from the start on my server. Also, as far as I know, my memory is fine when it comes to this. My memory does not seem to be filling up and is fine. I will try and disable Inv Tweaks when I get a chance.

Edited by swar2345

As I said.. I have used opis and there is no problem. Also, I have used TickProfiler in addition. There is no problem with entities on the ground or people flying. I am believing it is a mod or something within the ModPack itself. 

Which commands did you use?

Also, it obviously is not a stock B-Team server. What mods or plugins have you added? or have you removed any? Any changes from stock at all?

Which server version are you using?

Do you get the lag spikes with no users connected?

Any oddities in the server console/log?

Edited by Blacktooth

For Opis, I did not myself run all of these commands on my server but Dmod, a server engineer and Manager on Jac Gaming ran them on his. I just ran the basic commands like /opus_ent etc.

My Plugins: Plugins (22): WorldBorder, WorldEdit, Announcer, OpenInv, mcore, BanManager, Vault, PermissionsEx, Votifier, GAListener, WorldGuard, BanItem, Essentials, Commandspy, AsyncWorldEdit, EssentialsProtect, EssentialsSpawn, EssentialsChat, EssentialsAntiBuild, WGCustomFlags, WGExplosionFlags, Factions

Added Mods: Tick Profiler

Removed Mods: None

Server Version: 1.0.6 (Has had these lag problems since 1.0.2 on prerelease when I donated)

Running MCPC+

And lag spikes only happen when the server is using more then 100% CPU and that say for example 150% CPU is forced into 100% CPU on one thread.

For Opis, I did not myself run all of these commands on my server but Dmod, a server engineer and Manager on Jac Gaming ran them on his. I just ran the basic commands like /opus_ent etc.

My Plugins: Plugins (22): WorldBorder, WorldEdit, Announcer, OpenInv, mcore, BanManager, Vault, PermissionsEx, Votifier, GAListener, WorldGuard, BanItem, Essentials, Commandspy, AsyncWorldEdit, EssentialsProtect, EssentialsSpawn, EssentialsChat, EssentialsAntiBuild, WGCustomFlags, WGExplosionFlags, Factions

Added Mods: Tick Profiler

Removed Mods: None

Server Version: 1.0.6 (Has had these lag problems since 1.0.2 on prerelease when I donated)

Running MCPC+

And lag spikes only happen when the server is using more then 100% CPU and that say for example 150% CPU is forced into 100% CPU on one thread.

I am having the same issue on my server, I also know that hardware shouldnt be the issue. I have noticed on my SSD drives while the cpu is maxed the Internet also jumps A LOT and the SSD are also SPIKED

Which commands did you use?

Also, it obviously is not a stock B-Team server. What mods or plugins have you added? or have you removed any? Any changes from stock at all?

Which server version are you using?

Do you get the lag spikes with no users connected?

Any oddities in the server console/log?

Literally I downloaded the MCPC jar and then bteam and extracted them in the same dir. I replaced the bteam jar with the mcpc jar and thats it. I changed nothing else.

You guys do KNOW that AotBT is highly entity based.

Quickest Solution:

Disable ALL mobs, including modpack mobs.

i do know that is not the issue, i had mobs and animals and what not to a server limit of 15 animals and 15 mobs. with 20 ppl i wasand still am getting the jump in SSD's

I just downloaded the modpack and faced the same issue, cpu overload, after couple minutes of playing.

In my case, the problem come from the mod Tropicraft. Once i removed that mod from the list, the game run perfectly normal.

Might want to try this. You'll lose many things in the game (tropicraft is a big mod after all) but i prefer playing the game wit less stuff then not playing at all :P

Edited by Shadaki

I have the exact same issue. With any of the Attack of the B-Team versions. I am running a MCPC server. A small little whitelist server with only 7 people and even if there is just myself on the CPU usage goes through the roof and the memory usage is just insane. I really hope something can be found son. I run on Linux and my only plugins are WorldGuard, WorldBorder, Essentials, Pex, ClearLagg, WorldEdit. Mind you it is also a stock B-Team, nothing added and nothing removed and I am not new to Server Hosting and it is clear that this is widespread everywhere.