Is it a Bad Idea in General to Update Modpacks?

BCG

Hello forums,

I'm asking this as a relatively new Minecraft player, and even newer to modded Minecraft. I just updated Tekkit to the latest version, at the suggestion of the launcher, and it has definitely messed up my existing game world quite a bit. Large magmatic engine setups disappeared into thin air, hundreds of redstone energy conduits replaced by disjointed hardened energy conduits, upgraded power armor simply vanished, many thousand MBs of fuel gone...

Now I'm lucky that my little world was singleplayer, and I could in theory just give myself the items (or their new equivalents I guess) and spend the necessary hours fixing everything. Not the end of the world. But my question isn't really about the Tekkit update - how do you in general manage upgrading these packs? Is it recommended to not update unless moving on to a new world? Or to very closely study the update and make your conclusions? Somehow run several versions?

I'm also asking because I thought about simply playing on a server instead, but that would leave me without clear ways to regain the resources any updates or changes might cost...

So how do people do this in general? I know mods for any game can be tricky to play with, but now that I realized the amount of time and effort it's possible to lose in a game like Minecraft...

I am so grateful for Mojang epic updates.

"Mojang" ...killing mods since 2012 with no real contribution. Thanks and keep doing it!

1. Mojang has no obligation to keep mods working.

2. Hmm... let's see what has been added to mine craft in the last few versions:

a. A completely revamped world generator.

b. Shaders support

c. Completely revamped redstone and new redstone devices.

d. Huge improvements to rendering

e. Hundreds of fixed bugs and much more.

3. Recent updates have been somewhat underwhelming because the game is being entirely recoded. Onec its finished Minecraft will be modular and extendible, allowing work to resume on the Workbench API.

1. Mojang has no obligation to keep mods working.

2. Hmm... let's see what has been added to mine craft in the last few versions:

a. A completely revamped world generator.

b. Shaders support

c. Completely revamped redstone and new redstone devices.

d. Huge improvements to rendering

e. Hundreds of fixed bugs and much more.

3. Recent updates have been somewhat underwhelming because the game is being entirely recoded. Onec its finished Minecraft will be modular and extendible, allowing work to resume on the Workbench API.

a)available by mod community (at least similar) for a very long time

b)available by mod community (at least similar) for a very long time

c)available by mod community (at least similar) for a very long time

d)true (maybe as i dont see any but whatever)

e)true (shadow bugs is the only 1 useful rest i dont care that much)

So yes they fix stuff and time to time do some good changes but i was not talking about any recent "snapshot" but all those huge updates released 1by1 from 1.4.6.

All stuff you mentioned was fixed/changed to make vanilla MC "better game" but apart performance improvements i had no benefits from any of them and for me it was one huge disappointment after another adding absolutely or totally unrelated content while killing half of mod community every 2 months. "Once its finished" sounds like "ETA for Red Power 2 update" so forgive me if i get sad with every mod-wipe i see to include some of Mojang whims.

I thought modding of this epic game is HUGE part of its spirit highly appreciated by both devs and community and making this game twice as popular. Maybe i am the only one but smashing mod-breaking updates so often to make this game "better" just dont sound that reassuringly to me as for others.

I am not Mojang employee and as you sad they "have no obligation to keep mods" but it doesnt prevent me from rage. My comment was just useless and desperate shout into the dark. I will change nothing and nothing will change how they do updates.

Edited by masterzh

I am so grateful for Mojang epic updates.

"Mojang" ...killing mods since 2012 with no real contribution. Thanks and keep doing it!

While certainly offical Minecraft updates have broken mods the OP was talking about mod updates which some have changed dramatically like thermal expansion thus breaking old version worlds.

Edited by matt8348

-snip-

I'm getting the impression that you think Mojang has a responsibility to accomodate mods, and break them intentionally.

Mods are great for Minecraft, and I never play without them, but I applaud Mojang for doing what's best for the game, as opposed to an unofficial modification to their game.

While certainly offical Minecraft updates have broken mods the OP was talking about mod updates which some have changed dramatically like thermal expansion thus breaking old version worlds.

Yes i know and i apologize for getting offtopic.

I'm getting the impression that you think Mojang has a responsibility to accomodate mods, and break them intentionally.

Mods are great for Minecraft, and I never play without them, but I applaud Mojang for doing what's best for the game, as opposed to an unofficial modification to their game.

Yes but their way to the "official" mod heaven was/is just too painful. (at least for me)

Sorry to you too dwwojcik  for dragging you in such flame chat. I am not going to continue in this thread.

Again sorry.

Edited by masterzh

Yes but their way to the "official" mod heaven was/is just too painful. (at least for me)

Sorry to you too dwwojcik  for dragging you in such flame chat. I am not going to continue in this thread.

Again sorry.

Its OK. We're all entitled to our own opinions, no matter how wrong they may be. ;)

matt8348 is right, I did mean mod updates. Mojang updates are something else, since they're supporting their content in the base game that I actually paid for. And yes dwwojcik it seems I'll have to get used to that... Luckily this game sees a constant stream of great new mods. :toot:

Your point in your OP about checking each mod update before installing is definitely a good thing. Same principal applies to modpacks. Usually changelogs will say if it is a world breaking update,

This is especially true when running your own modpack/server, but still true for single player (though not as serious, since - like you did - you can just cheat the lost items back in).