Are Combustion Engines Broken?

Hey, I've been scouring the web since the latest update. I can't get combustion engines to work anymore. They appear perfectly vertical (facing up) and I can't rotate them. Even if I hook it up in that orientation, it doesn't seem to function when I activate them.

I loved powering my base with oil refineries and fuel to combustion engines. Do I need to just change my ways or is something wrong with my install? Magmatic dynamos seem to work fine, so I can swap to those, but it kinda sucks I lose my combustion engines.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

There does seem to be an issue with rotating the Combustion Engines. I can rotate mine once, but after that it gets stuck.

Use the Compression Dynamo, they're the replacement for the Combustion Engine, so you can still setup your refineries and feed them fuel and water. And plus side is they don't explode when they run out of water, they just stop generating power.

BC "engines" or that to kinesis pipe no longer powers TE machines (different energy units). That is why "engines" will no longer automatically face TE machines and kinesis pipe does not seem to connect to TE machines.

TE "dynamos" can power TE machines directly or through TE energy conduit. Or a charged TE energy cell (or with power running to it) can power TE machines directly or through TE energy conduit (the energy cell itself now controls in/out instead of using a wrench on energy conduit end). So I got started with a steam dynamo and once you have a supply of lava you can now carry 8, 16, or more cups of lava in portable tanks for a magmatic dynamo until you get resources to set up a pump and/or teseracts.

I have not confirmed if TE energy conduit can still power BC machines like it used to (I heard that energy conduit can convert TE energy to BC, but not input BC energy).

Why did TE move away from BuildCraft anyway? It worked together perfectly with BC, but now we have yet another power standard.

I do like that the Compression Dynamos are a lot safer than Combustion Engines, though. I might actually consider using Fuel to power my stuff.

The main focus of the TE3 rewrite was to reduce lag as much as possible, and that led to some design conflicts with older mechanics, like Buildcraft MJ. That is what I took away from reading their debate, anyway.

I think TE3 is very consistent and well-designed overall. The only thing it could use is some actual mass power storage, as the Redstone Energy Cells are not that huge at 10M RF. I find myself building vast arrays of them to buffer the output of my reactor.

Why did TE move away from BuildCraft anyway? It worked together perfectly with BC, but now we have yet another power standard.

KL did not like some of the changes made to the BC MJ system.  the one particular change that I know of is the fact that machines which consume MJ must always be consuming some amount, regardless of whether or not they're doing anything.  from what I understand, the API for consuming MJ power became unwieldy for this and a few other reasons.  that is why conduits can convert RF to MJ on the fly, but not the other way around.