Scary noises

Whovian

SSP might make perfect sense to you, but the avarage user might not understand that.

Just change it to singleplayer and it all improves =]

usability!!

It makes perfect sense to me now as it did when I first heard the term.

Explain to me why the Technic crew, who already works fucking hard as balls, must continue to bend over backwards for people who can't understand the basic fundamentals of reading and comprehension?

IT isn't their job to pick up where the schools dropped the ball -or- where the parents/doctors dropped them on the head as babies.

Because it will make their product - as to which the sole purpose is to allow more people to enjoy these mods - more accessible.

It's just good design. If I was designing a program like the launcher i'd try and make it as close to possible as perfect, especially if it was such a simple thing to change =]

Just because someone doesn't know what SSP stands for doesn't mean they're an idiot or don't deserve to understand technic. I think it's a outdated acronym anyway, because SSP implies that only survival is involved, when actually you can play creative mode too.

It makes perfect sense to me now as it did when I first heard the term.

Explain to me why the Technic crew, who already works fucking hard as balls, must continue to bend over backwards for people who can't understand the basic fundamentals of reading and comprehension?

IT isn't their job to pick up where the schools dropped the ball -or- where the parents/doctors dropped them on the head as babies.

Rawr rage rawr. Indeed it is still the internet.

Making something more use friendly is not a bad thing. I mean technic exists with the sole purpose of added user friendliness.

Hell you could use all your flamboyant childish arguments and just tell people to download and manually install the mods themselves and that the people using technic are the ones too stupid to get the mods on their own.

It's pretty user friendly right now guys. I would rather have them focus on things like getting the actual Technic mod out and done with than messing around with stupid shit, which is what you're wanting them to focus on. Because Technic and Tekkit should be pretty self explanatory. One is single player one is not.

It's not hard. Stop trying to make it seem like it's a big fucking deal when it isn't.

It's not a big deal, it would take 10 seconds to fix.

Actually, it outlines (in my opinion) a design flaw with the launcher. There's no description of the mods, so really unless you check the website every 5 minutes you won't know what you're in for when you click.

If you think it's self explanitory then you need a reality check. It's the unfortunate truth that the end user is pretty dumb - that's why software companies have such an emphasis on usability - it just makes everything better.

It's the unfortunate truth that the end user is pretty dumb

Correct. They need to smarten up.

My first experience with the launcher, I knew what I was looking at. Because I'm not a fucking dumbshit.

Your solution is to cater to the idiots, rather than let them learn anything.

This isn't a business. The launcher isn't bringing in revenue and that isn't the point of the launcher. It's to alleviate the pain of compiling a bunch of mods together. Not to hold the hands of a moron and show them everything they're doing.

The launcher already makes a normally asinine process hundreds of times easier.

If they get around to making it easier to use for the stupid, they'll do it.

I believe the problem is that the launcher and technicpack is not made with new users in mind. The developers assume that people know more about technicpack from day one than they could reasonably be expected to do.

When first opening the launcher one should get a page with the mods it has and then be made to select one rather than the launcher defaulting to technic.

Also each mod should have a small description on their banner. Technic could say "singleplayer only" and tekkit could say "Singleplayer & Multiplayer with bukkit support" For example.

I believe the problem is that the launcher and technicpack is not made with new users in mind. The developers assume that people know more about technicpack from day one than they could reasonably be expected to do.

When first opening the launcher one should get a page with the mods it has and then be made to select one rather than the launcher defaulting to technic.

Also each mod should have a small description on their banner. Technic could say "singleplayer only" and tekkit could say "Singleplayer & Multiplayer with bukkit support" For example.

I was a new user once.

You know how confused I got? I didn't. You know why? Because I stopped and figured it out. Technic had a bunch of mods and Tekkit had a bunch of similiar mods, but different. I asked... why? Then I realized the tekkit mods were ALL SMP supported mods. Technic had a great array of mods with SMP support but also a lot of other mods that didn't. Well shit, by normal deduction, I figured Technic was single player, SSP, or alone time with your computer in a dark room eating Cheetos, and Tekkit was more or less the same thing only multiplayer and with Doritos instead.

Again. You're wanting to cater to those who don't want to take the time to figure things out. They just feel entitled to have it all handed to them on a platter in big bold letters in crayon. That's not the way shit works.

I was a new user once.

You know how confused I got? I didn't. You know why? Because I stopped and figured it out. Technic had a bunch of mods and Tekkit had a bunch of similiar mods, but different. I asked... why? Then I realized the tekkit mods were ALL SMP supported mods. Technic had a great array of mods with SMP support but also a lot of other mods that didn't. Well shit, by normal deduction, I figured Technic was single player, SSP, or alone time with your computer in a dark room eating Cheetos, and Tekkit was more or less the same thing only multiplayer and with Doritos instead.

Again. You're wanting to cater to those who don't want to take the time to figure things out. They just feel entitled to have it all handed to them on a platter in big bold letters in crayon. That's not the way shit works.

With that mindset there should be no technic pack. What a silly thing to think.

No need to be arrogant just because you know what SSP means (nevermind that it's not even relevant any longer due to creative mode, as I mentioned earlier)

Technic is a great product that allows people without technical know-how to use mods. There's no need to be an asshole about who deserves to understand what - if you want to make a quality product these are the things that you need to consider.

and really, if the technic team doesn't want to make a quality product then why the hell are they doing this?

Clarify the mindset in which you think I'm portraying. Smart? Intellectual? Having a willingness to figure shit out before I blindly start spamming forums with posts like 'you should make this easier cuz i confuzzled by technic/tekkit!'

No need to be arrogant just because you know what SSP means (nevermind that it's not even relevant any longer due to creative mode, as I mentioned earlier)

I might not need to, but it sure feels great. I'm surrounded chiefly by morons and asshats who couldn't find their socks if they were on their feet. There are a handful of people who aren't asshats or idiots and they're awesome. But they also have brains and can figure things out with minimal effort.

Technic is a great product that allows people without technical know-how to use mods. There's no need to be an asshole about who deserves to understand what - if you want to make a quality product these are the things that you need to consider.

There is a great need to be an asshole because you're not listening to anything I'm saying. You're just saying the same fucking thing over and over again. Technic is plenty easy to use. It doesn't -need- to be any easier. If you can't figure it out, then you're seriously fucked in the head and need to go take some kind of test to see if you're mentally challenged or just need a little help figuring out these internets.

and really, if the technic team doesn't want to make a quality product then why the hell are they doing this?

They're doing it because they want to. When they stop wanting to do it, they'll stop. It doesn't take a quantum physicist or psychologist, or an acting coach to figure that out. Motivation is driven by the desire to do something and that desire is not always financially driven.

...No need to be arrogant just because you know what SSP means (nevermind that it's not even relevant any longer due to creative mode, as I mentioned earlier)...

...No need to be arrogant...

You are lucky to receive a facepalm.

My friend said 4 words: "download the technic pack," and look at where I am... nobody helped me. In fact i got minecraft less than a week before i got the technic pack. I just figured it out by reading and looking at pics.

I saw that the technic pack had one creeper on the banner while the tekkit pack had two creepers.

That's like, clear-as-day singleplayer/multiplayer selection. From at least as far back as the sega genesis (first thing I remember playing).

I downloaded the launcher from the website. There were two tabs on the website that seemed interesting. One called Technic and the other called Tekkit. I looked at these pages, but still wasn't sure of the difference. Then I looked at the tab labelled FAQ. And thus was I enlightened. Yea verily, the scales of ignorance fell from my eyes, and I could see in my mind the differences between the packs.

I'm with Beer, if you can't do a little looking, on the site where you downloaded the thing no less, you don't really have the right to complain. RTFM.

Clarify the mindset in which you think I'm portraying. Smart? Intellectual? Having a willingness to figure shit out before I blindly start spamming forums with posts like 'you should make this easier cuz i confuzzled by technic/tekkit!'

I might not need to, but it sure feels great. I'm surrounded chiefly by morons and asshats who couldn't find their socks if they were on their feet. There are a handful of people who aren't asshats or idiots and they're awesome. But they also have brains and can figure things out with minimal effort.

There is a great need to be an asshole because you're not listening to anything I'm saying. You're just saying the same fucking thing over and over again. Technic is plenty easy to use. It doesn't -need- to be any easier. If you can't figure it out, then you're seriously fucked in the head and need to go take some kind of test to see if you're mentally challenged or just need a little help figuring out these internets.

They're doing it because they want to. When they stop wanting to do it, they'll stop. It doesn't take a quantum physicist or psychologist, or an acting coach to figure that out. Motivation is driven by the desire to do something and that desire is not always financially driven.

The only thing you have been doing this entire thread is insult people because you don't agree with them. You are just the standard anon flame warrior that spews bile rather than present arguments.

The only thing you have been doing this entire thread is insult people because you don't agree with them. You are just the standard anon flame warrior that spews bile rather than present arguments.

I'm bringin up valid arguments as to why there is no -need- to put extra labels to associate Technic from Tekkit. I don't need a whole lot of proof to tell you that there are a bunch of fucking idiots who feel entitled to having things pointed out for them instead of figuring it out themselves.

Just look around this forum and follow the pink names, or just read pretty much any post on MCForums. It's not fucking hard. You're just all butthurt because I'm not agreeing with you and probably sensitive to words like penis, vagina, and you're an idiot.

A troll is someone who just spouts random babble for the sake of shitting up a thread and while I've been guilty of that on more than one occasion, I am not guilty of that here.

You made a suggestion, I told you why it was stupid, and you decided to just keep making the same suggestion over and over. Yes, we get it. Make it more user friendly so people who don't understand the basics of Minecraft can get the differences of Technic / Tekkit. Great, then what? They're going to want more shit handed to them without doing the work.

We have -all- had to do the work. Some people go into IRC and ask questions, some use the forums as a query base. Some google things, some read the FAQ and other sources of information provided by this website.

The information IS ALREADY THERE. You just have to look for it, which is what you should be doing anyway to figure out what Technic, or Tekkit, is. If you're too lazy to do that, then you need to move on and find someone who is willing to bend over backwards and continue to give a mile for every inch.

So in the words of the might Kaker, the dashing Cheapshot, and the other terrific mods that patrol these forums... Get Bent.

Yeah you have an opinion, I do. Everyone does.

You're the only one though who seems to be completely incapable of expressing it without insulting everyone in the vicinity. Yes I know its the internet syndrome. Anonymity and an audience can do terrible things to the reasonable. There's a lot of theories going on about what turns an ordinary person into a flaming internet warrior but the most commonly accepting ones are either abuse at a younger age or a feeling of powerlessness in the ordinary life.

Extra credits did a good piece on what turns an ordinary person into well.... You

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/harassment

To go into a subjective debate and argue the rights or wrongs. That takes a special kind of arrogance all together. The fact is we could only ever argue pros or cons until the end of time but we will never find a right or wrong. Just opinions. You on the other hand think so much of your own opinion that other people's opinions become invalidated.

This argument is stupid, you should both be ashamed that you had it.

There's no need for any change there. Out of roughly 200 new users per day, we only get one or two people a week asking which is which. Regardless of what anyone thinks, less than a percent of new users are having trouble with this.