Just so confused

pilot13

I haven't played Tekkit for about a year, and I previously relied heavily on things like Industrial Craft and EE.

I'm really struggling with Buildcraft and Thermal Expansion et al. I really have no idea how to go about generating power and applying it to my ME devices and buildcraft lasers/quarries. I generally try to avoid the BC engines as they're either incredibly inefficient, plain dangerous or flat out don't work, and I don't want to baby sit my combustion engines all day long.

I couldn't seem to get redstone engines to apply any power at all (they wern't even pumping) my quarry.

Can I use Big Reactors or something to power my quarry? I'd really appreciate this, thanks.

For early power generation use the Thermal Expansion dynamos and then move onto Big Reactors passive reactors, followed by turbines for the BR reactors if you want maximum efficiency. TE3 now has pretty much everything you need to get started in a world. For help on how to use various mods or machines I recommend either the Mindcrafters or direwolf20 on Youtube.

As for what's in the pack itself, try the wiki. It should give you the mods used and their current versions along with a ton of helpful info.

Doing some research last night, presumably I could also use a Tesseract?

EDIT: btw, I got my quarry going with the conduits, guess I need to start a reactor going to get some real power set up.

Edited by pilot13

Tesseracts can directly send power to some machines (namely TE3) but since they output RF and not MJ/EU you will usually need to run a conduit from them to power a lot of non-TE blocks.

Don't forget to set up energy cells if you want a buffer in case your power source shuts off for whatever reason.

Edited by Digdug83

galacticraft can take power of the conduits (they are powered from a specific side)

mffs uses it's own energy form (fortron) there are machines (Coercion Deriver) which can convert to that form and connect to the conduits :)

so both mods are working fine with conduits :)

As the others suggested, Thermal Expansion is the new core mod. It provides the energy system, along with the pipes, and most core concepts. It is something of an heir to IC2 in that regard.

You will need to look into a number of things, but you may want to start by getting to know Thermal Expansion well. The next thing after that would be Minefactory Reloaded. A modest power solution and small machine park from TE, together with a first MFR farming chain will get you started and well-supplied with most things in early game. Try setting up a Planter/Harvester combination and feed Oak saplings to the Planter. This will get you apples to eat, more saplings, and copious amounts of wood to smelt into charcoal. Make sure you throw in the occasional Rubber Tree sapling to also get Rubber/Plaastic for more MFR machines.

P.S.: You may get the rare drop "Sacred Rubber Tree Sapling" from farming those. Do not plant that. It is a gigantic world-sized tree that will cripple your server. I understand it was meant to test server limits, or something like that.

Edited by Curunir

P.S.: You may get the rare drop "Sacred Rubber Tree Sapling" from farming those. Do not plant that. It is a gigantic world-sized tree that will cripple your server. I understand it was meant to test server limits, or something like that.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. I've only ever had them grow into normal rubber trees. I think there's a config option to allow them to grow into megatrees, but it should be disabled by default.