Fusion reactor tutorial?

Masked_koopa

Being at a relatively advanced stage in my single-player world, I have decided to go for a powerful, and apparently infinite energy source: Fusion reactors. However, my google searches resulted in nothing but videos where i was uncertain of whether or not they still worked due to updates, or whether this design was now worse due to the implementation of a new feature. What I am asking for is either a link to a tutorial that is not out of date, or a simple diagram indicating the placement of the electromagnet things and such, but bear in mind it needs to be infinite. :)

My advice would be to go with a Big Reactors power plant, either passively cooled (no turbines) or actively cooled (with turbines). It is far more consistent in its power production and not prone to so many issues that Atomic Science apparently still has. Outside of that, the videos available should still be viable as the basic building of the reactor hasn't changed.

I can second that.

Big Reactors maybe addition of Big Turbines is a lot more stable and variable and controllable. Though if you want I can give you my concept of the Fusion Reactor I'm currently building, it has a stable power production and has only 2 issues: first whenever the server starts up you have to detach and reconnect 1 cable, why I have no clue but I guess it is due first chunk loads, which are not in sync.

That is a small issue and can even be automated in intervals, so no biggie. 

The second Issue is a bit more heavy, material costs. You'll need tremendous amounts of gold an such things... so even as it is self-sustaining, a Yellorium Reactor is still the more price efficient solution.

My first singe Core Fusion reactor with the standard 2 Rings (8 around the Reactor and additional 20 as a second layer, leaving the space between them empty) outputs a good constant 240k RF/t.

schematic:

O O O O O

O                  O

O    O O O    O

O    O     O    O

O    O O O    O

O                  O

O O O O O                The O's are the active water heated blocks.

My second single Core outputs roughly 334 RF/t

And I think I can get a lot more from a singe core respectively from a multicore. One thing for sure: Multi Core are a bit more predictable for the min output.

Also note that the stable and high output can only be done with big turbines, funnels, liquid nodes (with 49 Speed upgrades, anything else won't matter, as it seems the funnel/node combination caps the speed at that) and as a quite nice interface and transportation for steam and a nice Buffer for steam you use ME liquid import/export Nodes.

The big turbines will have to use 2 Liquid Imports, to get the 2000mb/t steam to 24k RF/t 

It is a nice Setup but will consume resources like gold...    :D  the not optimized setups like the double ring are now using 28x64 Speed Upgrades (49 per node should be enough, till now to lazy to verify for every node, as not every node is over a high peak steam producing funnel, you could get away with a lot less of them on those than 49) 

As for the 28x64 that would be roughly around 1046 gold ingots, so over 523 gold ores using the pulverizer.

Not to speak the enderium for the Big Turbines, or cyanite...          :D 

This is for the recommended build for tekkit 1.2.9e 

The second Issue is a bit more heavy, material costs. You'll need tremendous amounts of gold an such things... so even as it is self-sustaining, a Yellorium Reactor is still the more price efficient solution.

Gold can be obtained with an >Equivalent Exchange 3 alchemy chain, if you're not averse to using that. What else except Gold is required in quantity?

The "scarce" resource for Yellorium Reactors is... just Yellorium. Graphite can be made from Charcoal, so an autofarm+factory will produce infinite Graphite. Iron is also among the working EE3 recipes, and the single Diamond and few Redstone don't really count.

Ah my bad, I did not express myself properly:

Yellorium Reactors, in my opinion, are still a better trade off in regards of material and power generation. As it stands, in Tekkit there is no shortage on Materials. 

So I think one should stick by the Yellorium Reactors :D normally. The second issue was for my fusion reactor design.  Though as I already said, materials are not a real problem in Tekkit. what I like about big reactors is the fun in creating a size and dimension which suits your need.

albeit... I had my fun creating this Fusion setup as well :D and even with building that Fusion reactor I needed a Yellorium reactor, for generating the needed materials in the first place :D big turbines sure are expensive.

On a side note, I really like your avatar Curunir. 

Thanks. Bonus points for everybody who can identify the origin of the picture. :-)

Sure Yellorium Reactors are extremely efficient. Some consider them overly efficient, especially when you scale them up. I was just curious what actually limits Atomic Science progression, because Big Reactors progression is not limited by much.

Some resources are scarce even in Tekkit, like Cyanite for large Turbines. For most stuff, of course, you are correct. Things become available at the two big milestones: First running EE3 chain (unlimited Iron, Gold, Diamond and Ender Pearls if you have an Obsidian generator) and of course first Laser Drill (unlimited ores if your power source and storage is up to it).

Edited by Curunir

I started watching the show again, I have a almost 1 hr constant ride from and to work... so I just pulled my collection on my tablet :D 

Sure but as soon as you want, you can (no meltdown yet) create an oversize yellorium reactor on 0% controll rods to just burn through yellorium and hook an automation on that reactor alone to craft turbine components and maybe one laser drill with yellorium foci. Maybe not really efficient, but quite fast :D

For now I'm quite happy with my fusion steam generator :D though... I want to create an most efficient multicore fusion reactor, which will be able to produce around 86 to 90 b/t to create an 1M RF/t Reactor complex which will be build in an alternate Age... singe floating Island age and buidling a cocoon a bit away from it, an artifical small satelite/moon XD

though... the ultimate Plan is to create that age and creating different 'moons'... one for energy, one for storage, one for automated crafting and one as an interdimensional travel point... so much to do... :D

I can second that.

Big Reactors maybe addition of Big Turbines is a lot more stable and variable and controllable. Though if you want I can give you my concept of the Fusion Reactor I'm currently building, it has a stable power production and has only 2 issues: first whenever the server starts up you have to detach and reconnect 1 cable, why I have no clue but I guess it is due first chunk loads, which are not in sync.

That is a small issue and can even be automated in intervals, so no biggie.

My first singe Core Fusion reactor with the standard 2 Rings (8 around the Reactor and additional 20 as a second layer, leaving the space between them empty) outputs a good constant 240k RF/t.

schematic:

O O O O O

O O

O O O O O

O O O O

O O O O O

O O

O O O O O The O's are the active water heated blocks.

My second single Core outputs roughly 334 RF/t

And I think I can get a lot more from a singe core respectively from a multicore. One thing for sure: Multi Core are a bit more predictable for the min output.

Also note that the stable and high output can only be done with big turbines, funnels, liquid nodes (with 49 Speed upgrades, anything else won't matter, as it seems the funnel/node combination caps the speed at that) and as a quite nice interface and transportation for steam and a nice Buffer for steam you use ME liquid import/export Nodes.

The big turbines will have to use 2 Liquid Imports, to get the 2000mb/t steam to 24k RF/t

It is a nice Setup but will consume resources like gold... :D the not optimized setups like the double ring are now using 28x64 Speed Upgrades (49 per node should be enough, till now to lazy to verify for every node, as not every node is over a high peak steam producing funnel, you could get away with a lot less of them on those than 49)

As for the 28x64 that would be roughly around 1046 gold ingots, so over 523 gold ores using the pulverizer.

Not to speak the enderium for the Big Turbines, or cyanite... :D

This is for the recommended build for tekkit 1.2.9e

I don't really think that the gold ought to be a problem seeing as I have the gold ore page for mystcraft, so I think I'll choose this anyway. Yellorium reactors just don't appeal to me lol. XD But what are Nodes? Aren't those from thaumcraft or something? :\ Edited by Masked_koopa

So a few screenshots from my Setup, not embedded I was to lazy to scale them... :D

The simple single core ring setup: '>

The top of the reactor: '>    here you can see that the nodes are from the Extra U. Mod, if you don't like those hovering just above the reactor, you can easily slap a (best double) ME Certus Tank in between the Node network and the fluid import bus....   On a side note, this are 28 Nodes and 22 import bus, more import doesn't change a thing, the reactor creates something between 21 and 22 b/t

Here is my test for Steam Demand network '> each of those turbines suck up the 1 b/t from the export bus.... here you can see 17 of them, another 4 are used for big turbines (2x 2000mb/t @~1800rpm generating ~24 000 RF/t)

Making for 21 b/t and the Buffer is filling up, as 22 will just deplete the Buffer.

Now the connection to the big turbine: '>  as you can see, i use the export bus, 3 Certus tanks and those are connected via 3 fluiducts to the turbine, meaning you'll need 6 fluid ports on the turbines. Why is that? Directly plugging the export bus at the turbine port will not work, at least not at the intended speed, not nearly. Nodes and pipes from Extra U. won't work either and import bus to tesseract won't work either... at least not at that speed. 

So plugging Tanks is the more elegant and efficient way.   You may want to increase the tanks alot. As I mentioned which each server start, you will have to disconnect/reconnect one cable to get the proper Steam input... which will deactivate the ME Network for a second or two... which will drastically fast deplete the tanks attached to the turbine... which in turn will drop the speed and you will lose a bit of output (from 24k RF/t to around 22k more or less)

The configuration of the import and export bus should be of course 1000mb/t and for the export bus config you'll need a drum from extra U. filled with steam :D 

This is the most 'basic' Setup. So keep in mind that you can generally create a bigger fusion reactor with more nodes/funnel and therefore more import bus... that you'll have to test, a good way is export bus with Atomic Science Turbine on top, as they will really draw the 1b/t

you only need as many import buses as the system can generate, which is something you'll... have to test :D

A small warning: do not cluster the imports or exports together, this might behave strangely and can force you to remove and replace them. Best thing to do is no direct connection between them

Last picture: '>  the output from a "2 Export Bus connected via Tanks and Fluiducts to a big turbine" -> it will spin up a bit more and generate a stable 24070 RF/t

The math is simple you get around 24k RF/t per 2b/t Steam :D so this setup will generate around 240k RF/t.  that will use 20 of the 21 b/t.... the last b/t which is still uncovered can be used to fill bigger tanks on the turbines for the case of the needed short reconnect of the network OR on a smaller turbine to generate the needed energy for the network, the chemical extractor and the fusion reactor itself :D

So I hope this will help you, those are pictures from my testing world :D

So a few screenshots from my Setup, not embedded I was to lazy to scale them... :D

The simple single core ring setup: ' alt='' class='ipsImage' width="1000px" height="588px">">' alt='' class='ipsImage' width="1000px" height="588px">

The top of the reactor: ' alt='' class='ipsImage' width="1000px" height="588px">">' alt='' class='ipsImage' width="1000px" height="588px">    here you can see that the nodes are from the Extra U. Mod, if you don't like those hovering just above the reactor, you can easily slap a (best double) ME Certus Tank in between the Node network and the fluid import bus....   On a side note, this are 28 Nodes and 22 import bus, more import doesn't change a thing, the reactor creates something between 21 and 22 b/t

Here is my test for Steam Demand network ' alt='' class='ipsImage' width="1000px" height="588px">">' alt='' class='ipsImage' width="1000px" height="588px"> each of those turbines suck up the 1 b/t from the export bus.... here you can see 17 of them, another 4 are used for big turbines (2x 2000mb/t @~1800rpm generating ~24 000 RF/t)

Making for 21 b/t and the Buffer is filling up, as 22 will just deplete the Buffer.

Now the connection to the big turbine: ' alt='' class='ipsImage' width="1000px" height="588px">">' alt='' class='ipsImage' width="1000px" height="588px">  as you can see, i use the export bus, 3 Certus tanks and those are connected via 3 fluiducts to the turbine, meaning you'll need 6 fluid ports on the turbines. Why is that? Directly plugging the export bus at the turbine port will not work, at least not at the intended speed, not nearly. Nodes and pipes from Extra U. won't work either and import bus to tesseract won't work either... at least not at that speed. 

So plugging Tanks is the more elegant and efficient way.   You may want to increase the tanks alot. As I mentioned which each server start, you will have to disconnect/reconnect one cable to get the proper Steam input... which will deactivate the ME Network for a second or two... which will drastically fast deplete the tanks attached to the turbine... which in turn will drop the speed and you will lose a bit of output (from 24k RF/t to around 22k more or less)

The configuration of the import and export bus should be of course 1000mb/t and for the export bus config you'll need a drum from extra U. filled with steam :D 

This is the most 'basic' Setup. So keep in mind that you can generally create a bigger fusion reactor with more nodes/funnel and therefore more import bus... that you'll have to test, a good way is export bus with Atomic Science Turbine on top, as they will really draw the 1b/t

you only need as many import buses as the system can generate, which is something you'll... have to test :D

A small warning: do not cluster the imports or exports together, this might behave strangely and can force you to remove and replace them. Best thing to do is no direct connection between them

Last picture: ' alt='' class='ipsImage' width="1000px" height="588px">">' alt='' class='ipsImage' width="1000px" height="588px">  the output from a "2 Export Bus connected via Tanks and Fluiducts to a big turbine" -> it will spin up a bit more and generate a stable 24070 RF/t

The math is simple you get around 24k RF/t per 2b/t Steam :D so this setup will generate around 240k RF/t.  that will use 20 of the 21 b/t.... the last b/t which is still uncovered can be used to fill bigger tanks on the turbines for the case of the needed short reconnect of the network OR on a smaller turbine to generate the needed energy for the network, the chemical extractor and the fusion reactor itself :D

So I hope this will help you, those are pictures from my testing world :D

Oh... Wow... This is all a bit beyond me to be honest lol.... Maybe I'll stick to youtube tutorials, I don't think I should build my first reactor based off text and images, especially as I have no idea how to use logistics pipes or computer craft..... Thanks for the help though, I'll probably end up looking back and thinking what a noob I was. :)

(I'm just nervous about the fact that everyone here seems to pump out their steam, whilst on youtube, they just attach turbines directly....)

Well... that is valid, but the point in this setup is as followed:

we have 28 spots on which we can attach a Atomic Science Turbine. The max output is around 4k RF/t. So the max output would be (theory) 112k RF/t.   

NOW the big BUT: The plasma heats non-regular and not all spots to the same degree. The result, not every turbine will run at 4k AND not continuously. Which means the 112k  RF/t are more than a longshot...

And since it is not constant it will fluctuate violently in the output and another point, you can't just connect all Turbines with one conduit system, as it will flat-line with 10k RF/t (the conduit can't and won't handle more than that, this can be bypassed with tesseracts but well...)  so you will have a hard time connecting all 28 spots/turbines and get every last drop of energy out of it... not to say going stable..  Still possible with fine tuned energy cells which have an higher input than output.

My design here gives you a stable output, which is much more easier to handle. And estimated: 3 to 4 times more Energy.

While I probably won't use Atomic Science anytime soon myself, I'm glad that somebody besides me takes time to explain stuff thoroughly. Here, have some likes for that.

I will link to this from my newbie guide.

So wait, two more questions.The first is simply how high your turbines are, and the second is just Whether I can use fluiducts instead of the ME cables, or are they too slow? (I don't really feel like getting into computers just yet lol) :)

And yes, I finally understand it :)

The problem with Fluiducts is: they cap at 360mb/t and you have the multiple output/connection problem. This is easily handled with Tesseracts. With this method you should consider to build a larger steam puffer in the form of multiple high tanks. Those can be attached via Fluiduct and Tank on Top for example, testing is the key. 

Again simple math: 28 output spots with  360mb/t each would be around 10 b/t, so around 120k RF/t --- in theory.  It will be lower (probably), unless you can interconnect the pipes/tess properly with the buffer. As I can draw over 21 b/t from the double ring setup (28 steam spots) you should be able to draw the 10b/t with a bit tinkering... at least something that is close to it, because the high output fields can not properly compensate the low on/off spots.

Though you can use that as the first setup and 'upgrade' from there, as simply the top reactor part would have to disassembled. The question is how much more effective that build would be in comparison to the AS turbines / energy cell buffering setup. in theory the max output would be 112 RF/t... but I highly doubt that, so the funnel/liquiduct/tess Setup would still be more effective. For an easier distribution and connection (and possibly safe the tess cost) you could test the funnel-towers do separate and sorting them to connect those which compliment for max stable steam output... though I kinda remember that more funnels stacking on each other won't work properly...

Should test that and maybe write a thorougher  guide to this... hmm 

For the big turbine:

I just build a 5x5x27 turbine, 80 blades, 37 enderium blocks. The most important thing are the 80 Blades and 37 enderium though, you can fit it in different sizes/dimensions.

EDIT NOTES: I edited this post in regards to a typo and hopefully to make it a bit easier to understand... and giving a few more thoughts about the setup. Thanks to Curunir for pointing my 18x360mb/t typo out, as it should have been 28x360mb/t

Edited by zinvryu

That was a typo xD as I said from the beginning I have a 28 funnel Setup (note 1 and 2 are quite close).  28x360 are 10080. So thank for pointing it out, I flat out didn't noticed my mistake.

So this is still about the double ring setup, with in each cardinal 3+5 spots.

I'll edit it now to simplify and prevent further confusion.

So I tested a few other setups, namely: (of course the 2 ring 28 spot configuration)

1. the funnel/fluiduct/tess  

2. the AS turbine/tess 

I'll begin with my observations of number 2. 

It was surprisingly effective. Though you'll have to put up with drastic fluctuation and therefore the measurements/my numbers can't be overly accurate. Though the test period was quite long so at least the estimate is close to the truth: using a redstone conduit network over the AS turbines and connecting it to two tess will yield around 72k RF/t with fluctuation up mostly, but I measured down once as well (could be due chunk updating or something similiar).

At 7 redstone conduits + 5 hardened conduits on the two output tess it was a stable 72k RF/t... as soon as you attach another redstone conduit instead of the 5 hardened the numbers tend to get to uneven to measure completely, so I can say the yield is something between 80k RF/t and 72 RF/t

My recommendation is running this setup as followed: 28 spots / 28 AS turbines / completely connected redstone conduit net attached to two tess with 6 entry points each. output via two tess. All tess on the same frequency are working fine. Here you get a stable 72k RF/t (note that the Fusion reactor and the chemical extractor need a bit of energy as well) so lets say it is a fine 70k RF/t self sustaining reactor.

Setup 1 ... well... even by using tess (5 for 28 spots) you'll only get around 5,2 to around 6 b/t of steam... which equals at best an output of... 72k RF/t with big turbines. So I can't really recommend building it that way. As the 3 big turbines highly outclass the 28 small AS turbines in terms of materials.... and you'll only need 2 instead of 7 to 10 tess.....  so yea use the AS setup with tess

small reminder: my personal setup running at: 28 spots/28funnel/28 liquid nodes with 64 speed upgrades each/ extra util. pipe net / 22 liquid import bus is yielding 21 b/t constant: which are over 240k RF/t.

So my assumption was quite close: my steam-digitalizer-setup is about 3 times more efficient :D 

So I tested a few other setups, namely: (of course the 2 ring 28 spot configuration)

1. the funnel/fluiduct/tess

2. the AS turbine/tess

I'll begin with my observations of number 2.

It was surprisingly effective. Though you'll have to put up with drastic fluctuation and therefore the measurements/my numbers can't be overly accurate. Though the test period was quite long so at least the estimate is close to the truth: using a redstone conduit network over the AS turbines and connecting it to two tess will yield around 72k RF/t with fluctuation up mostly, but I measured down once as well (could be due chunk updating or something similiar).

At 7 redstone conduits + 5 hardened conduits on the two output tess it was a stable 72k RF/t... as soon as you attach another redstone conduit instead of the 5 hardened the numbers tend to get to uneven to measure completely, so I can say the yield is something between 80k RF/t and 72 RF/t

My recommendation is running this setup as followed: 28 spots / 28 AS turbines / completely connected redstone conduit net attached to two tess with 6 entry points each. output via two tess. All tess on the same frequency are working fine. Here you get a stable 72k RF/t (note that the Fusion reactor and the chemical extractor need a bit of energy as well) so lets say it is a fine 70k RF/t self sustaining reactor.

Setup 1 ... well... even by using tess (5 for 28 spots) you'll only get around 5,2 to around 6 b/t of steam... which equals at best an output of... 72k RF/t with big turbines. So I can't really recommend building it that way. As the 3 big turbines highly outclass the 28 small AS turbines in terms of materials.... and you'll only need 2 instead of 7 to 10 tess..... so yea use the AS setup with tess

small reminder: my personal setup running at: 28 spots/28funnel/28 liquid nodes with 64 speed upgrades each/ extra util. pipe net / 22 liquid import bus is yielding 21 b/t constant: which are over 240k RF/t.

So my assumption was quite close: my steam-digitalizer-setup is about 3 times more efficient :D

Oh ok, guess I had better get into ME system stuff lol :) Tbh, it will be a blessing for my messy inventory so I guess you've done me a favour. Thanks again for all the help.

I was also wondering whether building the entire setup within one chunk would remove the need to reconnect the cable? (You know, putting the turbines, etc above the reactor and building a tower or whatever around it so it only occupies a single chunk) If the problem is indeed the chunk loading then this should fix it should it not? :D

Edited by Masked_koopa

I would recommend building a seperate ME network for the reactor. Most of that is used is from extra cells.

You don't even need much, as you'll only need a network controller, fluid in/exp bus, a ME drive with installed ME 64k fluid storage (multiple is my advice, as this is your buffer so the smaller ones are not recommended either... I recall that a full 10x64k drive will last for a few minutes, full buffer required) and just for completion a fluid terminal: So basicly you need 3 ME blocks in a row, cables and the import/export bus (well a few of those bus thingies)

The one chunk is an idea, but you don't have to always reconnect and fitting the reactor and  the me stuff is not a problem... even fitting 10 5x5x27 turbines should be possible. A nice reactor tower :D

But I think this would not really solve the problem, but that is up to test. I don't know how the chunk loading and updating is handled and how it affects different blocks from different mods. Though it would still be a nice tower, keep in mind: plasma is dangerous, so keep everything a few blocks away when possible :D

AND use a magnum torch/chandelier.... you don't want a creeper near your network, turbines and especially not near the fusion reactor! Boom and then a plasma leak is really ugly...

So you really needn't much from ME to get this to work and is more basic than basic :D

About the steam demand: 21b/t are around 420 b/s and one 64k storage will hold roughly 16.000 buckets (don't know if formatting them to steam will increase this)... so a full drive with 10x64k will last for something between 6-7 minutes :D AND you can install more then one drive

Edited by zinvryu

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've started work, but your images still leave me the tiniest bit lost... Do I make 3 big turbines and no AS ones? or do 2 and a bunch more AS ones as shown in your images? (I really don't want to use more enderium than necessary) 

Thanks. Bonus points for everybody who can identify the origin of the picture. :-)

Sure Yellorium Reactors are extremely efficient. Some consider them overly efficient, especially when you scale them up. I was just curious what actually limits Atomic Science progression, because Big Reactors progression is not limited by much.

Some resources are scarce even in Tekkit, like Cyanite for large Turbines. For most stuff, of course, you are correct. Things become available at the two big milestones: First running EE3 chain (unlimited Iron, Gold, Diamond and Ender Pearls if you have an Obsidian generator) and of course first Laser Drill (unlimited ores if your power source and storage is up to it).

No clue on the picture - but any points for the origin of the name and it meaning? :)

We'll... with my standard reactor of 1 Core 2 Rings 28 Steam Funnel and Output 21b/t Steam... you would use 10 big Turbines with each 37 blocks of Enderium. Each 2 b/t will be able to run a 24k RF/t Turbine :D and this reactor will generate 21 ^^
AS Turbines are lacking, they are just used as measurement, or you can use them as fill ins.

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>  here you can see my personal Setup on my Multiplayer Server...

wow ok... I guess what I will do and my advice to anyone planning to do the same is to make one with AS turbines in order to power a laser drill. Even cinnabar wont help you get over 13 STACKS of pulverised shiny metal that one needs, so it seems like the best option for getting it.

(on another note, will the laser drill get you nether ores, and if so, what foci is for platinum?)

Edited by Masked_koopa

though... 3 Big turbines will give you the same amount of power or more precisely: one Big Turbine is enough to power one laser drill. 

So you can build my design, hook one big turbine on it and run the laser drill and gradually build more Big Turbines :D