workbench automation... i am confused

kattzkitti

I know Steve's Carts has an automated crafting component somewhere but that's almost certainly far more work than it's worth. Outside of the AE Molecular Assembler (the big multi-block computer) I can't think of anything. There's also the machinist's workbench but I don't think that can be automated.

Hello,

Your first link points to the "Advanced Crafting Table."  This table/device is used to make a very limited selection of specific items - basically the "Logic" devices listed on the bottom of the page.  To my general understanding (and I may be wrong here) these are the only thing that can be made with this "Advanced Crafting Table."  As a side note this table needs to be "powered" by "Lasers" (also in the same mod) in order to function.

Your second like points to the "Autocrafting Table".  I'm going to do a direct lift from the site description -

The Autocrafting Table is a block that can be used to automate crafting. The recipe to craft must first be set up inside the table by placing items in the table in the pattern of the desired recipe. Ingredients for the desired items can then be added automatically with Buildcraft pipes, and the results of the recipe can be removed similarly.

I don't know if this table requires external power or not (I've never used it) but you use this table to manufacture items for you.  You place the items in the "Autocrafting Table" in the arrangement as you would on a regular crafting table.  Then you feed the ingredients, as needed, into the table for it to make the patterened items automatically.  This can, in time, using pipes and other devices be made to manufacture the patteren good on command.

I hope this helps make the distinction clear. 

As far as other Autocrafting "Tables" I don't know.  If you are seriously looking into Autocraft do look into Applied Energistics.  It has two main functions - easy massive storage all in one place and real "Autocrafting" using a multiblock device called a Molecular Assembler.  This whole system requires some exotic materials and external power.  This tends to be a mid to late game set up.

Best,

Jay

Edited by Silmenume

Your first link points to the "Advanced Crafting Table."  This table/device is used to make a very limited selection of specific items - basically the "Logic" devices listed on the bottom of the page.  To my general understanding (and I may be wrong here) these are the only thing that can be made with this "Advanced Crafting Table."  As a side note this table needs to be "powered" by "Lasers" (also in the same mod) in order to function.

Actually I believe you're thinking of the Assembly Table, which is actually a different but similar block.

I have never built the Advanced Crafting Table myself, but the only possible advantage I can imagine is speed.  The Autocrafting Table has one speed, and it's a fairly slow speed at that.  If  you point enough lasers at the Advanced Crafting Table, I'd imagine it does the same thing, but faster (at the cost of energy).

I never used it, but I think SirLappy is right. It must be about speed, because the resource cost for this kind of autocrafting is steep.

As for autocrafting in general, newer mods have superseded Buildcraft in my opinion. There are semi-automatic solutions like the Machinist's Workbench and the Project Bench (never used the latter), but the true automation solution is the Cyclic Assembler. It even includes Liquicrafter functionality through its internal liquid tank. So any automation chain below an AE Molecular Assembler is best based on those.