direction of the gameplay design?

ekce

I'm wondering if the direction of the gameplay design is meant to head more towards modern calm paced mmorpgs (World of Warcraft) or more towards classic fast paced shmup style rpgs (Gauntlet IV, or the similar mmo Realm of the Mad God)?

I'm wondering if the direction of the gameplay design is meant to head more towards modern calm paced mmorpgs (World of Warcraft) or more towards classic fast paced shmup style rpgs (Gauntlet IV, or the similar mmo Realm of the Mad God)?

Whatever it is, I hope it stays just as insane as it is now. I love going into a dungeon to find a room full of nagas, especially on hardcore mode. It makes you go, "Crap, I need to go kill some spiders or something on the surface." Except you get out on the surface, and there are a billion slimes. Makes the game FAR more exciting.

What I'm going for is fast-paced, twitchy mayhem-- so not WoW (there is a lot of twitch if you're tanking in WoW, but other than that...) More like Diablo II, but faster paced. Insanity will be a continuing theme, hehe. I love the idea of ridiculous things happening that surprise/scare the player... be it Roflcondas or random Ubermob encounters, eventually.

Obviously, there are some limitations with the way that mobs work in SMP (amounting to their movement and behavior being extremely buggy), but this will be addressed in Minecraft 1.3, at which point I'll be preparing to update to it :) Things will be amazing at that point, I hope.

I find that it is rather obnoxious to try to cast spells (even if it is just the jump spell). I have to either be an octopus or I have to bind a couple spells to my mouse.

It would be far easier if spells acted as inventory items, so that I could put them in the hotbar and click to use them like weapons. Perhaps you could make some sort of craftable item that holds one spell that you can put in the hotbar, and when that item is used, it casts the spell inside it.

I like binding my jump spell to shift+spacebar it seems to be the easiest way to do it. BUt yeah the other spells are kinda annoying to flip through at times. The whole item binding to spells idea was brought up in another page I think. :T can't remamber where though.

But honestly it would make things slightly easier maybe if center click was spell casting and there was another bar above the current one?

then there would be two hotkey sets, both '1234...' and 'zxcv...' but then again that might work with the current system. Maybe if center click was cast instead of ctrl+right click? Just throwing things out there I guess.

glad to hear it!

in a nutshell i just love that i can play minecraft online with the added variety of this mod. it makes just adventuring off with a friend that much more interesting gives it a whole new feel.

I'd personally be happy if you just worked on adding more mobs to the cave systems/overworld to add to the variety...even if you just took idea's from the 'mocreatures' 'creepsandweirdos' 'choclatins adventure mods' and implemented them that would be just awesome.

it's great work though, and what you made so far is just mighty!

although i wouldn't really care for things like story, quests, npc quest givers/merchants/etc, etc.

I'd rather you focus on things that capitalise off of minecraft's strengths (land generation, mobs, dungeons)

I mean I think you could make something incredibly unique just by using whats in minecraft already. The end game is reaching the ender dragon and killing it. Maybe you could just focus the direction on that. Maybe just altering a few things that lead to you making it to the dragon like:

making a sequence from sky world to nether to ender world. having to gather different items from each to progress to the next. Instead of just using flint/steel to light the nether portal you could make it so you have to acquire an item from the skyworld to replace the flint/steel mechanic. You could also reverse nether/skyworld roles whatever works best.

but that's not even needed, just leaving it open ended like it is and making the ender dragon stronger would be good enough as a basic concept.

and anything 'town hub' related like merchants, chests, healers etc. could just be left to the testificate villages that spawn and you might be able to just add a few npc's that spawn.

I'm thinking what also might balance gameplay a bit with regenerating health is having your health bars max take a hit everytime you get damaged. so even though you regenerate it pretty quickly you still have to watch your max health and make a trip back to a healer or find an item to get you fully replenished. This could be a nice spell for a mage.

subtle touches here and there i think is what'd help this mod best.