Using Smartphone As Gaming Headset For Computer Via USB

jakj

I have a Droid RAZR. I want to be able to plug it in via USB to my computer, plug a pair of headphones into the phone, and use the headphones to hear the PC audio and use the phone's microphone as my PC's microphone in voice-chat software.

Google just tells me how I can do that via Bluetooth (kinda), and how to go the other way (using PC headset as phone in/out), but not what I want.

I have Windows 7 and would prefer to do it natively, but I do have enough spare ram/processor to run a virtual Un*x box at the same time if necessary.

Pretty sure it's not possible over anything but bluetooth. I'm pretty sure the USB port on a smartphone can only do a virtual serial port and flash memory access.

Why do you have to force all your sound in/out through your phone?

Because I don't feel the need to waste money on a gaming headset or a usb microphone when I have a microphone right there in my phone. I've tried getting inexpensive 3.5mm-jack microphones and they are one-and-all total shit. I also don't have a bluetooth dongle for my computer.

Considering the fact that I can tether my computer's internet connection by the USB cable and use it as a full gateway, the USB connection should be more than capable of doing this. Maybe there would even be some sort of Android app for the phone that could forward through the USB port to an application on the computer.

I believe the USB tethering is done via the virtual serial interface, not sure. I know my old semi-smartphone used the virtual serial to tether.

I did find a petition on some android forum asking for a USB sound bridge to be added into android 4.0, so other people want it. It's just not possible currently.

Because I don't feel the need to waste money on a gaming headset or a usb microphone when I have a microphone right there in my phone. I've tried getting inexpensive 3.5mm-jack microphones and they are one-and-all total shit. I also don't have a bluetooth dongle for my computer.

Considering the fact that I can tether my computer's internet connection by the USB cable and use it as a full gateway, the USB connection should be more than capable of doing this. Maybe there would even be some sort of Android app for the phone that could forward through the USB port to an application on the computer.

Radioshack sells some for 20 bucks. Walmart, I think for 12....If you have a webcam, you can use the mic on it if you need to.

Honestly, it sounds...overly complicated to do it that way.

I have some 10 buck Panasonic earphones..

Total crap.

The left one sounds fucked up weird (some frequencies don't like my earphones... They sound fucked up)

The right one is fine... still.

Thank god I'm getting some HQ headphones :D

if you were willing to write a custom andriod app and special drivers JUST to get the mic in the phone to work with the PC, it might be doable. however, it would not be any better quality than the mics you have dismissed as total shit. it would be exactly the same if not worse. not only that it would take ungodly amounts of time to create the software for it.

unless your time has absolutely 0 value to you, you're better off just getting a simple headset. you don't have to go buy some crazy ass surround sound $150 headset, $30-$40 will get you an OK logitec headset that will work great.