Power Plant Help/Ideas!!

Hey Technic Players! I have been playing Technic in SSP for about two weeks and I am pretty good with IC2 and Redpower2.

On singleplayer I had used Uranium/Nuclear Power. Now I have started to play on an SMP server with a group of me and 3 other friends. This server is hosted by a friends. He made it so Uranium Power Plants don't work.

Now I need another LASTING power source.

Here is what we have used/are using:

Solar (not much because of materials and little power)

Windmill (replacing solar because of 24/7 power and up to 4 power)

1 Back up coal generator

1 Geothermal (house is in a volcano but we used all of the lava from it o-O)

Here are the machines we are using (IC2):

2 Macerators (use very often)

1 Induction Fernace (use very often)

1 Extractor (not used much)

1 Compressor (not used much)

1 Batbox (used fairly often)

We plan to make a Canner and another Batbox soon as well.

Also we have all of the Tekkit mods (IC2, BC, EE, Redpower 2) and Iron chests and forestry. (may be more that I am not aware of)

What kind of Power Plant should we use?

Thanks for any help I can get!

You signed ur post, that's a no no.

Lots of ways to produce EU, here are a few.

You have a lot of other options. Tonns of SolarPanels hooked up to MSE-Batbox-MFSU.

Engines (Redstone/Steam/Combustion) fed into a converter to EU.

Find a giant lava pool, get a pump and some redstone engines set up attach it to a Liquid Teleporter Pipe and have teleport lava to one or multiple geothermal generators.

i´d build up a tree farm, wheat farm, autocraftingtables, biogenerator and bioengines.

wheatfarm --wheat+dirt=humus--> treefarm --saplings--> biogenerator + bioengines.

in addition you have wood to transform or use ( transmutation ) and wheat for bread or transformation too.

should be fully automatic with autocraftingtables, redpowerpipes and buffer-chests.

RP powered(deployer+filter+ retriever) setup of watermills is the cheapest and most effective choice of infinite energy.Does make your sound bug out and force you to play with 0% volume in game all the time(or remove the soundfile as I did).

I have something like 32 watermills per RP setup but I know 45 works just aswell, just like the even 32 more.

This setup is ALOT cheaper then all the other. Sure enough filters and timers are annoying to make but the rest is easy as pie. (32*2EU/t = 64EU/t all for the price of 16 generators +3 iron(bucket) and a few sticks)

or you could do it the lazy way, you do have EE installed so pump some lava out of it and feed it into some geothermal generators

( else you could make an infinite water source, use deployers with buckets to grab some each time and sync several water mill )

this is best accomplished with pneumatic tubes and is quite laggy if you don't calculate it right or simply, brutally overload it

edit

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

damn you freekill :) --respect

Find a giant lava pool' date=' get a pump and some redstone engines set up attach it to a Liquid Teleporter Pipe and have teleport lava to one or multiple geothermal generators.[/quote']I'd rather use redpower2 pumps to pump the lava into a smaller container first and have another pump that would take it out from there and send to geothermal generator. Reason is that RP2 pumps have VASTLY higher range and can pretty much clear out any pool you try to drain while both buildcraft and industrialcraft pumps have only a tiny range.

As far as I know there aren't RedPower2 Pumps in Tekkit 2.1.1.

RP powered(deployer+filter+ retriever) setup of watermills is the cheapest and most effective choice of infinite energy.Does make your sound bug out and force you to play with 0% volume in game all the time(or remove the soundfile as I did).

That doesn't play nice all the time. I build a double-power plant in that manner but somehow buckets disapppeared over time. Also it creates a big CPU load since usually you hook up 9 or more water mills on one pool. Every time a bucket is pulled from the deployer it takes some CPU power, making this inefficent for large amounts.

The final stage of power production are only HV-Solars. Nothing can beat them, but they are very expensive. On a former server I played on, we used to have 64 or more HV's hooked up to Matter-Fab's. Transmitting something about 32k EU/tick. But you should build yourself a solar panel fabrication, otherwise you run mad producing them. Once you have a running matter-fab you can use UU-Matter to produce more Iron and Coal and everything you want. Its an infinite loop, like the collectors and condensers from EE with the difference that it takes a lot longer to come to that point where you dont need any more power and you storage systems are overflowing with UU-Matter.

One EE route:

Create Lava Cells in Energy Condenser and pipe them into Lava Generators.

That's the latest and easiest to maintain way of creating EU that we ended up to in our server. While it may seem a bit of cheating to create lava out of light, set it up right once and you'll never have to worry about it. Piping controlled by MFSU and it won't overflow generators with the cells either.

As far as i know, the only lasting, zero-maintenance and zero-risk solution would be solar panels. They can be thrown into arrays now, so you can have 8 panels into a single block, then 8 of those crafted into a single block, etc.

Just make sure you've got twice as much power being generated during the daylight as you use in both day and night... That's the only drawback really :).

Other generators such as all types of generators, reactors, etc. require maintenance, and water/wind mills are horrible in terms of setup and reliability. You could go for more fancy stuff like the lava cell condensing idea, but personally i prefer a simple approach for power :).

Water mills are very reliable. Their power output is just crap. A good nuke reactor setup is fairly close to zero-maintenance, as long as you put in the safeguards, and maybe run a breeder in the background. Also, without compact solars, you're going to kill a low-end computer with the generator tick lag.

Also, you can build HV solars without a fabrication facility - Project Tables are awesome (I don't use that word lightly).

Engines (Redstone/Steam/Combustion) fed into a converter to EU.

I had an awesome combustion engine powerplant going, was ~38 engines, took a long time to get balanced for water input but once it was up and running it output around 400eu/t, was awesome.

Then I came back from the nether and there was an explosions, turns out the pumps hadn't loaded and the reserve tanks were drained very quickly. This then resulted in my entire base having no power apart from one LV Solar Array. I rage quit and haven't gone back yet.