Are we screwed when 1.3 comes out?

Synthetica

They are working on two major things at the same time at the moment:

1) modding API

2) moving logic to server-side and basically unifying SMP and SSP

I hope they are planning to get both of them released at the same time. If not then I expect there will be a TON of problems until both these tasks are ready and basically most mods will simply not have releases at the time. Only after both tasks are done will the mods start working semi-decently again.

Would that mean we are screwed?! In this case, Tekkit and Technic would not have to be separated...ever. All that this means, is that mods will have to be modified, i imagine only slightly, to fit the ONE logic system instead of two. Now, modding API, who the hell knows.

How is it any different with any other time when it takes time for modders to support the latest version of MC?

This is different in that this is a huge change in how singleplayer works, basically forcing any mod author who hasn't got his or her mod in SMP to do so. (Think of Thaumcraft, Buildcraft 3.x, Logistics pipes, other cool stuff)

I would assume that if mojang isn't stupid they will have all the game logic on server-side with no real need to do manual synchronization with clients on per-mod level so getting mods to work on the new platform would be easier than to get them to work on current SMP.

I would assume that if mojang isn't stupid

I'd stress 'if' if I were you. But really, don't think they aren't stupid. Or that they are nice to modders. Or that jakj won't come here to say "modding API won't be there until 2013".

Well, not quite.

For a brief rant, already getting reports of singleplayer lag, which means the "trivial IPC overhead" that was predicted is nothing of the sort, and Minecraft's innards resemble masticated pasta, as usual.

To the point, I predict themodders already supporting smp to be relieved, the ones wanting to but not ready to be excited, the majority of the rest to sigh and carry on anyway, and the remaining minority to tjrow up their hands and go on hiatus. There will be more delay than usual due to the changes, more so for mods that modify base classes than for simple Modloader pieces.

If Jeb releases 1.3 too soon, though, with the 1.2.x debacle still stimging and adding into it an entire paradigm shift of internal architecture, there will be a drastic number of new burnout cases within the modding community. THEN we would be screwed.

Would that mean we are screwed?! In this case, Tekkit and Technic would not have to be separated...ever. All that this means, is that mods will have to be modified, i imagine only slightly, to fit the ONE logic system instead of two. Now, modding API, who the hell knows.

Regardless of compatibility, Tekkit is still aimed at SMP play, while Technic is still not.

Screwed? Not really. Inconvenienced? Hell yes. There will probably be a big month and a half long gap, where none of the mods are updated or functioning properly.

Patience will be had, and eventually everything will return to Business as Usual

Screwed? Not really. Inconvenienced? Hell yes. There will probably be a big month and a half long gap, where none of the mods are updated or functioning properly.

If the mods get update for 1.3 at all. There probably is a 1.4 before that. That's about what I call screwed.

If the mods get update for 1.3 at all. There probably is a 1.4 before that. That's about what I call screwed.

Nah, this is exactly the kind of situation the launcher is great for. While we wait for the mods to recode and catch up (or refuse and be replaced), the previous versions of both technic and tekkit will be readily available through the launcher.

Nah, this is exactly the kind of situation the launcher is great for. While we wait for the mods to recode and catch up (or refuse and be replaced), the previous versions of both technic and tekkit will be readily available through the launcher.

Yeah, true, but I was talking about the mods not updating for a long time. But fortunately, we have the launcher to keep playing on 1.2.5 :golauncher:

Yeah, true, but I was talking about the mods not updating for a long time. But fortunately, we have the launcher to keep playing on 1.2.5 :golauncher:

Well, i suppose if that's what you consider "screwed" then yes, we will most likely be screwed. I just don't think it's going to be that much of a big deal.

Well, i suppose if that's what you consider "screwed" then yes, we will most likely be screwed. I just don't think it's going to be that much of a big deal.

Agreed, I believe the word "screwed" is a bit over the top. We're fine, we just have to wait.

Well, we already know how it feels to be on 1.1 for the greater portion of the 1.2.x cycle, so you just have to apply that feeling to being on 1.2.x for at least a good bit of 1.3.x.

That kind of varies by the person, I'd expect. For me, it's half and half: I have a delicious hamburger, but there's a slightly more delicious one that I don't have. Not really a problem.

Well, we already know how it feels to be on 1.1 for the greater portion of the 1.2.x cycle, so you just have to apply that feeling to being on 1.2.x for at least a good bit of 1.3.x.

That kind of varies by the person, I'd expect. For me, it's half and half: I have a delicious hamburger, but there's a slightly more delicious one that I don't have. Not really a problem.

Damnit, even MORE people are gonna think Technic is a place to get food now. Geez. Something about free chicken that has some terrible sauce or something. And stuff.

Damnit, even MORE people are gonna think Technic is a place to get food now. Geez. Something about free chicken that has some terrible sauce or something. And stuff.

And don't forget, we serve hamburgers but include pickles whether you want them or not. (seriously, some of those analogies were damn silly.)

The two critical factors are 1) can they get the singleplayer lag resolved before release, and 2) when they decide to drop 1.3 on the community, ready or not.

Both of those are unknown, so all we can do is wait and hope.