Race Passives, a suggestion.

Sir_Grox

Hello! I would like to suggest a feature that would be pretty cool in Hack Slash Mine. I think each Race should have a passive. Now before I give some examples, I think that the climbing blocks as a ranger should be taken away, as that gives the Ranger a huge boost over the other 2. Instead, I think the Halfling should get the ability, as they are supposed to be small and nimble. Steves should get a small boost to most normal activities, since they are the balanced Race. Elves should get a keen sight ability, where they can see mobs that will drop loot. ( Loot in general, NOT just mini bosses. Lastly, Dwarves should be able to get triple the amount of blocks AND items from mining. Also, to prevent duplication, it would only effect blocks placed naturally, nothing placed by players.

If anyone has any better ideas, or just want to comment, please reply. Frizzil, if you read this, please tell me how you stand on this suggestion. Thank you all for your time! :)

Triple? Seems a little overkill I'd say have a chance of doubling sorta like that one enchantment I can't remember at the moment.

True, but that seems too small of a passive. I think they should be able to send mobs farther back, as dwarfs are strong, PLUS your suggestion.

Climbing makes such a mechanical difference that I wouldn't give it based on race, I'm sure that'd result in even more imba-ness. There will definitely be differences though, I'm just not sure what they should be yet XD

I disagree with the climbing for Rangers I think it should stay the same although I wouldn't be heartbroken if it was replaced by extreme accuracy (I'm tired of seeing my arrows cast off to left or right making me miss completely). However I think it would be a cool idea to give perks depending on the race you choose. For Steves I would tend to agree with some sort of boost normal activities. I think Elves should be sneakier as in decreasing the detection range of an elf by any enemy. Dwarves should get a boost to mining be it getting double blocks and having equipment last longer. I'm not sure for halflings.... Maybe make movement faster in general?

Typically the goal is to make someone feel unique and proud of their "race" without making people feel obligated to play a certain race. THerefore, the racial bonuses should be small and convenience-oriented. Something like "getting double-blocks" is really overpowered if it's all the time, for example. Having durability on picks go down slower or having materials repair very slightly more for a certain race are both neat bonuses that are handy but not super-powerful.

I disagree with the climbing for Rangers I think it should stay the same although I wouldn't be heartbroken if it was replaced by extreme accuracy (I'm tired of seeing my arrows cast off to left or right making me miss completely). However I think it would be a cool idea to give perks depending on the race you choose. For Steves I would tend to agree with some sort of boost normal activities. I think Elves should be sneakier as in decreasing the detection range of an elf by any enemy. Dwarves should get a boost to mining be it getting double blocks and having equipment last longer. I'm not sure for halflings.... Maybe make movement faster in general?

doubling item drops just screams out "Hey, can a dwarf race player come mine out my diamonds i found?", maybe just let dwarfs have "improved mining" where the tools just last x3 as long, and mine slightly faster. and gold pickaxes could be the best tool for a dwarf possibly?[it could last as long as half a diamond pickaxe? and mine as fast as a diamond pickaxe? BUT, this is only for dwarfs...]

Thank you all for your ideas! I moticed that lots of people want just reguler bonuses. However i personally think they should have an ability that a normal enchantment or rare loot can't give you.

I also noticed that the dwarf is very hard to work with here, so just void out my idea, and try to think of a unique, fitting passive. Once again, thank you for your time! :)

Chance to get double ores would work.. however..

I think the coolest passive for a Dwarf would be "mineral sense" where nearby ores would glow through walls. (Maybe just through one layer of smooth stone?) I am not sure if that's even feasible, but it'd be pretty awesome.

BUT I think for the most part, classes should have most of the specials/customization. Like, mining should probably be improved by STR as is planned. Knockback "because dwarves are strong" would make more sense to just base it on STR, as a Halfling warrior can become stronger than a dwarf mage..

Seconding not removing wall climbing from Rangers. Warriors can still leap 5 blocks at a time, I'd say that's a good tradeoff for having an awesome charge ability that lets them close gaps over land.

Mages could use some help though.

As I was recently going around looking at mods, I noticed the well known Evil Minecraft mod. Like H/M, they also have races. The races are very similar, but they already have passives. So Frizzil, if you read this, you may want to check out their Wiki, as they have some good ideas that you could base and expand H/M passives on. :)

After playing a lot of Smash 64 with my friend, I'm considering the possibility of "all races being broken" being fun XD Not too sure about it, though, hehe. Balance is what made Starcraft I the first good RTS, but imbalance is what made Smash so awesome...

After playing a lot of Smash 64 with my friend, I'm considering the possibility of "all races being broken" being fun XD Not too sure about it, though, hehe. Balance is what made Starcraft I the first good RTS, but imbalance is what made Smash so awesome...

Wow, the Smash 64 reference gave me an idea. For the dwarf, I think it should be able to pick up and throw monsters at each other. It fits the Dwarves are strong idea, and would make sense. This could be done by coding in so when the ability is used on a target, the target is forcibly 'mounted' onto you. You would then somehow make it so when thrown, it would hurt other monsters that it hits.