Old Technic Installer

Uber_Gamer

I love the Technic Pack and I think the Technic Launcher is a great idea. Sadly it does not work with my computer and/or account. I also prefer the old version of the installer better for multiple reasons. May you please continue making the old version as well as the new launcher.I believe many other users of the technic pack would support me and if I am correct you already have a template for the old installer so hopefully it is not too much of a hassle to add both versions of the installer for each update. I think you Technic launcher idea is great but I prefer the old installer so may you please continue both.

Thank you,

Uber_Gamer

I love the Technic Pack and I think the Technic Launcher is a great idea. Sadly it does not work with my computer and/or account. I also prefer the old version of the installer better for multiple reasons. May you please continue making the old version as well as the new launcher.I believe many other users of the technic pack would support me and if I am correct you already have a template for the old installer so hopefully it is not too much of a hassle to add both versions of the installer for each update. I think you Technic launcher idea is great but I prefer the old installer so may you please continue both.

Thank you,

Uber_Gamer

Dear Uber_Gamer!!!

Glad you love the launcher bro! Sorry about your cat!!!! :(:(:(:(:(:(

Love Cheap Shot

• Forum Administrators

Thank you,

Uber_Gamer

Dear Uber_Gamer,

It pains me to inform you that you have made quite the mistake. You see, you are too late, the gates have fallen. Your brothers in arms are no more. We have already cleansed these lands of the not-premium/pirate account holders. It doesn't work with your computer and/or account because you didn't purchase Minecraft. We here at Technic Inc. care deeply about your inability to get that it isn't our problem that you didn't buy Minecraft, and ask you, dear Uber_Gamer, to explain why we should be helping you not pay for the game. It "doesn't work" for your account because a free account doesn't get the latest version of Minecraft. I "don't get" why people have a hard time understanding this. I also "really love" using quotation marks.

Many users of the Technic Pack are enjoying the launcher just fine! Why would you want use to plunge back into the dark(er) ages with the old style installer? And give up on-the-fly updates? Give up the sweet package selector screen and shelve all the wonderful work Agelian and Cheap Shot have done? Shift back to the old way of out-dated mods and month-long waits between updates just because you don't want to pony up 25-30 bucks? You want to drag everyone else down because of that? That's p. selfish bro.

You are correct, we have a template for the old installer. You are incorrect that it wouldn't be 'to much of a hassle'. Two reasons, first, any hassle JUST to support people that don't want to buy Minecraft is too much hassle. Second, its a ton of work and you want us to do twice as much building everything, THEN you want us to support not only Technic and Tekkit, but also all the versions that get released with the old-style installer. I believe I speak for the entire Technic team when I say to you "Get Bent".

Yours forever and always~

Kaker "Big SOPA Daddy" Mix

I hate to say I absolutely hate the new Technic Launcher. I love the Technic Pack and I have for quite a while, but this new launcher is driving me up the wall, which is very hard to do considering the force of gravity. Between using this new Technic Launcher and installing all the mods by hand, I would very happily install everything by hand, which I'll most likely be doing shortly. Here is my predicament:

I use two separate computers, one a laptop running windows 7 (and linux) the other a desktop running windows vista. I have updated my java to the appropriate versions and everything runs smoothly. The Technic Launcher hates me. It took me 3 hours to set it up on my laptop, and once I was able to get into minecraft, it rendered Minecraft unplayable due to heavy lag. My desktop computer on the other hand rejects the Technic Launcher entirely. I start it up, it gives me an error, I fix error, it gives me another, I fix that one, and I get another. Simply put, this is not my idea of fun.

Now, I am not the most computer savvy person I know, I know a few people who have written their own computer language and who actually make their computer boards from scratch. I do work with computers a bit though, primarily working with creating customized databases from scratch. I am having trouble installing, launching, and playing with the Technic Launcher. The Frequently Asked Questions section that I find lacks information. It says do this, it doesn't specify how or even direct me to another site which provides the answers.

I am sure nobody has sat you guys down at a table and informed you of how customers like their products. Customers like to unwrap the product, install, and run it with as little difficulty and confusion as possible. ((I use the word customers since they are the ones who utilize the service you provide, regardless of any monetary transaction)). Most customers do not know how to fiddle around with things until they work; most do not want to fiddle around with things. In this respect the new Technic Launcher fails. It takes too many involved steps for an average person to install, set up, and run the Technic Launcher.

Don't get me wrong, the Technic Launcher is a great idea. I like the idea of being able to switch between vanilla and technic pack versions. It is easier then switching out the appdata minecraft folders. I like being able to have the option to set how much memory to allocate to minecraft. I think the part where we can choose which mods to run requires a little work, maybe checkboxes to select and information on the mods presented to prevent people from having to constantly look up mod information. The Technic Launcher is a great idea, it just doesn't fully work yet. ((By fully work I mean fully function with minimal errors across a variety of computer systems and users; id est the average computer user can use your program with no problems))

Now you most likely will present with the argument that I have not invested in Minecraft and I use a pirated copy/account and therefore my opinions are of little concern to you. I regret to inform you I am a legitimate user with a legitimate account who bought my Minecraft account through Notch's minecraft.net website on March the 3rd, 2011 for a total of $21.35 (euro to dollar plus a 3% surcharge for converting, if I am reading my bank statement correctly) and would be more then happy to prove it in whatever way you wish.

I hate to say I absolutely hate the new Technic Launcher. I love the Technic Pack and I have for quite a while, but this new launcher is driving me up the wall, which is very hard to do considering the force of gravity. Between using this new Technic Launcher and installing all the mods by hand, I would very happily install everything by hand, which I'll most likely be doing shortly. Here is my predicament:

The launcher manipulates gravity? Wow, I wasn't aware they could code that well.

I use two separate computers, one a laptop running windows 7 (and linux) the other a desktop running windows vista. I have updated my java to the appropriate versions and everything runs smoothly. The Technic Launcher hates me. It took me 3 hours to set it up on my laptop, and once I was able to get into minecraft, it rendered Minecraft unplayable due to heavy lag. My desktop computer on the other hand rejects the Technic Launcher entirely. I start it up, it gives me an error, I fix error, it gives me another, I fix that one, and I get another. Simply put, this is not my idea of fun.

Most people aren't having issues like this. And besides, on your laptop... the launcher shuts down after it opens Minecraft. The launcher isn't what's causing your lag.

Now, I am not the most computer savvy person I know, I know a few people who have written their own computer language and who actually make their computer boards from scratch. I do work with computers a bit though, primarily working with creating customized databases from scratch. I am having trouble installing, launching, and playing with the Technic Launcher. The Frequently Asked Questions section that I find lacks information. It says do this, it doesn't specify how or even direct me to another site which provides the answers.

I am sure nobody has sat you guys down at a table and informed you of how customers like their products. Customers like to unwrap the product, install, and run it with as little difficulty and confusion as possible. ((I use the word customers since they are the ones who utilize the service you provide, regardless of any monetary transaction)). Most customers do not know how to fiddle around with things until they work; most do not want to fiddle around with things. In this respect the new Technic Launcher fails. It takes too many involved steps for an average person to install, set up, and run the Technic Launcher.

You are not a customer. You are not buying a product. They are providing this free of charge. That's like complaining that the free soup you got at the soup kitchen isn't good enough for you.

Don't get me wrong, the Technic Launcher is a great idea. I like the idea of being able to switch between vanilla and technic pack versions. It is easier then switching out the appdata minecraft folders. I like being able to have the option to set how much memory to allocate to minecraft. I think the part where we can choose which mods to run requires a little work, maybe checkboxes to select and information on the mods presented to prevent people from having to constantly look up mod information. The Technic Launcher is a great idea, it just doesn't fully work yet. ((By fully work I mean fully function with minimal errors across a variety of computer systems and users; id est the average computer user can use your program with no problems))

Of course it isn't fully functional. Did you look at the version number? 0.5.3.6 It's a work in progress. And also, on your last part? Where you say you bet the average computer user can use it with no problems. In the last paragraph, you just said it was too difficult for the average user to use. Make up your mind.

Now you most likely will present with the argument that I have not invested in Minecraft and I use a pirated copy/account and therefore my opinions are of little concern to you. I regret to inform you I am a legitimate user with a legitimate account who bought my Minecraft account through Notch's minecraft.net website on March the 3rd, 2011 for a total of $21.35 (euro to dollar plus a 3% surcharge for converting, if I am reading my bank statement correctly) and would be more then happy to prove it in whatever way you wish.

Good for you.

First of all, I'd like to point out that numbskulls have ALWAYS had a problem installing the technic pack. When everything was run on the blog, i saw just as many people complaining about how hard the it was to install, and how much it slowed the game down, and all the other stupid problems that people are having.

You are not a customer. You are not buying a product. They are providing this free of charge. That's like complaining that the free soup you got at the soup kitchen isn't good enough for you.

Might I direct your attention to the aside I wrote in which I stated:

((I use the word customers since they are the ones who utilize the service you provide, regardless of any monetary transaction))
In this instance I am using the word customer to refer to the people who utilize the service (The Technic Launcher) which has been provided by the people affiliated with this site. I am not using the word to refer in any way to any transference of money or any legal obligations the people affiliated with this site have. As for the free soup analogy, there is nothing wrong with complaining over free soup. Hunger is the best seasoning, and if the soup in question is so terrible that it cannot overcome a person's hunger then is something not wrong?

Of course it isn't fully functional. Did you look at the version number? 0.5.3.6 It's a work in progress.

It's perfectly fine that the Technic Launcher is still in revision. Might I ask why it was released as the sole source of obtaining the Technic Pack? Is there any other way to install and use the Technic Pack without relying on a "work in progress"?

And also, on your last part? Where you say you bet the average computer user can use it with no problems. In the last paragraph, you just said it was too difficult for the average user to use. Make up your mind.

Perhaps I should clarify my words. I assume the last paragraph you are talking about it is:

The Technic Launcher is a great idea, it just doesn't fully work yet. ((By fully work I mean fully function with minimal errors across a variety of computer systems and users; id est the average computer user can use your program with no problems))
In this paragraph I stated that the Technic Launcher is a good idea, but that it does not fully work yet. Then I explain what I meant by "fully work" in an aside. I define fully work as "fully function with minimal errors across a variety of computer systems and users". Following this first definition I use the latin id est or that is and rephrase the definition of "fully functional" in simpler terms of "the average computer user can use your program with no problems". In no way do I mean to contradict myself.

In case my intentions are not quite clear, I in no way mean to insult this site or the people working on the Technic Launcher. I merely am voicing my dislike for the current version of the Technic Launcher due to the following issues: (1) There is not enough thorough documentation on how to install, use, and trouble shoot the Technic Launcher, (2) The current version of the Technic Launcher takes too much time to install and load.

Might I direct your attention to the aside I wrote in which I stated: In this instance I am using the word customer to refer to the people who utilize the service (The Technic Launcher) which has been provided by the people affiliated with this site. I am not using the word to refer in any way to any transference of money or any legal obligations the people affiliated with this site have.

cus·tom·er/?k?st?m?r/

Noun:

A person or organization that buys goods or services from a store or other business.

If there is no transfer of money, there is no customer.

@Niavmai

Could you perhaps also provide links to documentation regarding how to solve an "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application"?

@ ValkonX11

According to wikipedia: A customer (also known as a client, buyer, or purchaser) is the recipient of a good, service, product, or idea, obtained from a seller, vendor, or supplier for a monetary or other valuable consideration.

I am afraid English is my second language and I do not know a word that incorporates the first part of this definition (the recipient of a good, service, product, or idea) but not the second (for a monetary or other valuable consideration). Thus I was forced to use a common term (customer) and attempt to redefine it to reflect my intended meaning.

@Niavmai

Could you perhaps also provide links to documentation regarding how to solve an "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application"?

1) There are several different types of unhandled exceptions, so just posting that bit doesn't help for shit.

2) You can use the search function on the site as well as everyone else.

Might I direct your attention to the aside I wrote in which I stated: In this instance I am using the word customer to refer to the people who utilize the service (The Technic Launcher) which has been provided by the people affiliated with this site.

Yes that's great, but customer is still not the proper word, because technic is not a service. You are free to use it if you please, or you can go download all the mods and install them while fixing conflicts AND bridging them so they work well together without overlap like multiple versions of the same ore. Go ahead man. I mean if you have trouble installing technic with the launcher, I'd hate to watch you try doing it manually.

The launcher doesn't need installation documentation because we've literally made it 1 step. You press a button. This works for the vast vast majority of people. I am not making some joke when I tell you the number of people who have problems with the launcher is MUCH MUCH less then the number who couldn't get the old installer to work. The small percentage of people who either have poor aim and miss the button, or somehow do something wrong and it doesn't work, or have weird computers that cause it to not install properly, well, they come here, to these boards, and ask for help, and get trouble shooted responses buy us. We don't provide some crappy troubleshooting guide because that would be both a lot of work, get out of date quite fast, AND we are already offering even better support. Personal one on one help from an actual human. There is nothing forcing us to do this, but we pay out of our own pockets for a huge beefed up expensive server to host these forums and provide support for the launcher we share for free. Just cause!

So. Instead of taking advantage of that, you've instead decided to use these forums to tell us that you're one of the few people who have trouble with a one button install and couldn't solve the problem on your own. Regardless of whatever computer nerd friends or personal experience you saw fit to tell us about for some reason. And instead of asking for assistance, which is what these forums are primarily for, you've decided to tell us our launcher is shit, and you think we should do more then twice as much work constantly so that you and a few other people can have the old install method back?

No, get bent.