Nether Lava Farm

Hey,

Is there any way to do this? I've been thinking and trying to research this for an hour now. If there anyway to automatically make buckets of lava and then use something to move them from the nether to the overworld and convert them back into tubes?

So confused..

If you were to pump the lava into tanks, an RP deployer with empty cells could probably make lava cells with the lava in the tank, and then you could move them in an Ender Chest to be moved to the overworld. The great part about those is that they stack, while lava buckets don't. The bad part: the stuff wouldn't load and run unless someone was in the Nether, and nothing but Ender Chests and player inventories can move stuff between dimensions as far as I know.

There's plenty of lava in the overworld...not as much, I guess, but still plenty if you're doing anything but mass fabrication.

Buildcraft pump -----> BC tanks

Tanks -------> RP Deployer w/Tin Cells

Extract Lava Cells with Filter/Retriever ---------> Ender Chest

EnderChest --------> Same code in overworld

Overworld Enderchest --------> Whatever the hell you want lava for

The only limitation is that you need to put world anchors, or else keep people present near all the important components.

Make a project for yourself in your nether base. Think of things that don't rely on being in the over world and do them in the nether. Make a mob trap; get that gold from the Pigmen. Kill some Ghasts. Process all you ores there. Build an epic Hell Fortress even. The one precaution you must take is other members on your server using your portal to find your base. Remember, 10 blocks in the over-world is 1 in the nether. If your server has a map limit, think carefully about where you want to build your nether base, as the world can be quite small.

~26 thermopiles to power a redpower pump all the time. Have it output to a 1x1x1 container and use a deployer with buckets in it on that. Then transport the buckets using an ender chest to the over world and your base. Use world anchor by the pump, then add more and more once you've depleted all the lava sources around your pump system.

bT9rT.png here is the one we made on our server

Am I right to assume that the issue of the nether unloading with out a player is no longer a issue with the new chunk loading code. Since if that is right then that opens the door to this type of thing but if not then it will only work if a player is in the nether.

Am I right to assume that the issue of the nether unloading with out a player is no longer a issue with the new chunk loading code. Since if that is right then that opens the door to this type of thing but if not then it will only work if a player is in the nether.

Yup with world anchors its not an issue.

yea i have a rp timer at .200 sec works with bukkits but not empty cells

Set it to no less than 0.5 seconds as that seems to be the fastest the server can handle. And of course buckets, they work just fine in a geothermal. Set up a retriever to suck empty buckets.

If you're running any redpower device, don't set the time to less than half a second. The logic boards can usually handle < .500 seconds, but most of the machines can't.

EDIT: Also, what is the deployer targeting? A BC tank? Direct lava?

Direct lava. The redpower pump pumps it there. All the time.

Hmph. The only thing I can suggest at this point is perhaps using buckets, and then using an auto-crafting table from Buildcraft to move the lava into the cells, returning the empty buckets to the deployer. I personally dislike that particular solution, but it would work.

Hmph. The only thing I can suggest at this point is perhaps using buckets, and then using an auto-crafting table from Buildcraft to move the lava into the cells, returning the empty buckets to the deployer. I personally dislike that particular solution, but it would work.

What the fuck are you talking about? Why do you insist on lava cells? You know geothermals use lava cells or lava buckets?

What the fuck are you talking about? Why do you insist on lava cells? You know geothermals use lava cells or lava buckets?

They also take lava directly from buildcraft pipes, but clearly that wasn't the desired solution. ;)

You can always make a system to use redpower pumps to gather the lave. Then use a deployer with buckets that then feeds them to a ender chest. Which in turn feeds into a another deployer that places the lava in front of yet another deployer which is full of lava cells. But that would be crazy and very hard to setup due to the timings involved.

I understand your focus on the cells as they stack where buckets do not and their for will work better for transferring large amounts of lava to the over world. If you place a IC2 pump on top of a tank i think you used to be able to use it to fill cells from what ever is in the tank. But I've never tested that my self, now that the chunk loaders work across dimensions I'll have to play with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tested this setup:

BC Pump (lava) --> BC Tanks (lava)

BC Tanks (lava) --> RP Deployer w/ Filter (buckets of lava)

RP Deployer w/ Filter (buckets of lava)--> Auto crafting table Mk2

This auto crafting table combines features from the RP Project Table and the BC Automatic Crafting Table. When experimenting with it, I discovered that items crafted can be pumped *seemingly* only out of the top of the table, while you can pump items from its inventory out of the sides. So:

ACT MK2 (top, lava cells) --> Ender Chest

ACT MK2 (side, empty buckets) --> RP Deployer

To extract only the empty buckets out of the side, and not empty cells or lava buckets, I used an advanced wooden transport pipe with a bucket inside the filter. You could probably accomplish the same thing with a RP Filter, but I prefer the simplicity of BC stuff.

Here's a picture of my extremely simple and very messy setup:

screenlava.png

The one lever turns on and off the entire system, the steam engine has an automatic shut-off made by the redstone pipe, and the RP Deployer and Filter are set on timers. It's best to have the filter on a faster setting than the deployer; in my setup the deployer is set on 3.5 seconds and the filter is set on .5 seconds. This reduces clogging. When I was testing it, it had a small jam a little while after it was turned on, but it resolved itself once the buckets in the system were set on a good timing by the machines.

If you didn't understand that last sentence, don't worry. I didn't either while I was writing it XD.

As for transferring lava to the overworld and converting it back into tubes, the only way Ive seen so far is to pump it out with either a RP pump (pump--> holding facility) or a BC pump

(pump --> tank), convert it into buckets using a deployer, and using an ender chest to ship it to the overworld. From there, extract the buckets into a RP deployer, then use the deployer to dump the buckets into a BC tank or some fancy holding facility, then put it into RP or BC pipes.

Hope this helped.

• 1 month later...

Sooooo before setting up a lava mining operation I decide to test some stuff first. I have a BC tank full of water and a deployer with an empty bucket in it. I use a lever to active the deployer and instead of a bucket of water I get a bottle of water and no empty bucket...... Is this a bug or intended behaviour? and yes Im really sure Im putting empty buckets in the deployer and not empty bottles. For shits and giggles here's a picture of my test setup

HeSxg.jpg

~26 thermopiles to power a redpower pump all the time. Have it output to a 1x1x1 container and use a deployer with buckets in it on that. Then transport the buckets using an ender chest to the over world and your base. Use world anchor by the pump, then add more and more once you've depleted all the lava sources around your pump system.

bT9rT.png here is the one we made on our server

'How did you get water in the nether?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a pretty sweet and fully functional set up to get round this problem. I dint want my lava to be in cell i wanted it to be in BC tanks in the overworld, i figured it out eventually.

In The Nether

BC Pump -> BC Tank

->Deployer with buckets againsts BC tanks

^ Advanced wooden transport pipe takes full lava buckets out to Enderchest------->(A)

^<Advanced wooden transport pipe takes empty buckets out of Enderchest to Deployer<(B)

(Deployer receives redstone pulses :))

In The Overworld

(A)Advanced wooden transport pipe takes full lava buckets out of Enderchest to a Deployer

Deployer places Lava in 1x1 square

BC Pump Pumps lava into BC Tanks

Advanced wooden transport pipe takes empty buckets out of Deployer to Ender Chest->(B)

World Anchors at both Sites are needed to make it work :)