3.0.3 Rei Minimap slime chunk problem

Just line the floor of the tunnel with half slabs and the slimes will not spawn. Only issue is dealing with the tracks as i think the little slimes can spawn on them. However they only spawn at level 40 and below so if you stay above that level their will be no slimes.

True, but not always an option. Depends on your situation. I've a train station with serveral levels underground and the platforms are very large and the ceiling very high. The station itself is gigantic. This causes the tracks to be on very low levels. I don't mind, I also protect my tunnels, so why not protect them from mobs as well with the same plugin? ;)

EDIT: It's also to be sure that almost nothing can go wrong. Most of the rail-system are high-speed rails. And you may know what happens when carts collide with something on high-speed rails, don't you?

True, but not always an option. Depends on your situation. I've a train station with serveral levels underground and the platforms are very large and the ceiling very high. The station itself is gigantic. This causes the tracks to be on very low levels. I don't mind, I also protect my tunnels, so why not protect them from mobs as well with the same plugin? ;)

EDIT: It's also to be sure that almost nothing can go wrong. Most of the rail-system are high-speed rails. And you may know what happens when carts collide with something on high-speed rails, don't you?

Boom goes the cart and you.

A trick could be to put half slabs above the rails so that as your riding the rails your characters head will be inside the slabs. Due to a minecraft bug you will not suffocate and the slabs will appear invisible to you while riding the rails. This is a trick I see used most often in the nether to block pigmen from getting in the way of mine carts. Now if slabs are not your thing, iron bars/fences and a few other blocks will work as well as long as they do not count as a full block.

Looking at the minecraft wiki it appears that slimes of all sizes require at least a 2 block tall space to spawn same as all the other mobs. Which means that it would not be hard to setup a fully safe under ground rail way using half slabs above the rails and for a maintenance walkway. Only issue is securing the stations and going up/down hill but if I'm not mistaken you have to slow the high speed carts down to normal speed in those situations.

1.2.5 rei's minimap mod is unable to find slime chunks. you would know this if you read the pages for the individual mods.

the world seed being removed is a necessary measure to make things fair. with the world seed you can gen a ssp world and go exploring and find all the diamonds, nether fortresses, strongholds, and anything else important in the game not just slimes. sure it cant be used by hackers but it can be used to gain an unfair edge on servers

Well most of those items are not based on the seed and only the terrain is based on the seed normally.

Also I just checked the Rei's mini map thread and their is no mention of the slime chunk display being disabled. Only that it is currently bugged in SMP unless the server admin provides the seed.

That sounds great - if Rei's mini map allows people to manually insert the seed, then it should be able to display the slime chunks without needing to talk with the server ... superb!

For those who are scared of cheating, they simply don't release the seed number. Great stuff :-)

• 5 months later...