3.0.3 Rei Minimap slime chunk problem

Hi Folks,

I've been running the latest dev build for a while and every now and then I've been clearing the cache in the hope that my minimap will show the slime chunks, but still no slime chunks are showing.

Does anyone have any info on them please?

Why are you using the dev version? Doesn't make sense since 3.0.3 is officially out. Anyway, in the official release it seems also not to be working while it did in 1.1. Didn't test that function yet. Seems to be broken in this version. I think you can do very little to none about this. I'm sorry. I tested this on my server and I also tested this on single player and there it seems to work! I don't know if it's disabled by default on the server or not. I can't remember if I tested in SP or MP in 1.1. I don't really use the function, I've no idea.

According to the minecraft wiki, nothing changed with slime spawning behavior. So it is still using the same old formula to create the slime chunks. Which means that all you need is the world seed and you should be able to find them with one of the many slime finder tools.

It looks like it is a bug/feature issue that is preventing the map from showing them in SMP. Either something the minecraft devs did or something from tekkit.

According to the minecraft wiki, nothing changed with slime spawning behavior. So it is still using the same old formula to create the slime chunks. Which means that all you need is the world seed and you should be able to find them with one of the many slime finder tools.

It looks like it is a bug/feature issue that is preventing the map from showing them in SMP. Either something the minecraft devs did or something from tekkit.

You can't find the world seed in 1.2.5 MP.

Wow, so I'm going to need the seed from somewhere, presumably console on the server now then? Can someone please tell me where I'd find it; I've never needed it before but I do remember it showing in the client before this version.

Looking at the patch notes for minecraft it would appear that being able to see the seed with F3 was a bug in SMP. They fixed it in 1.2.4, so that it will no longer be displayed if the seed was unknown. No clue how to make it known, maybe a setting in a config file.

Got to love Mojan's way of doing things.

Yeah right, a bug... I call it a feature. A feature that doesn't cause any problems. Hackers can't do anything with it and it was kinda cool. Useful information, like I said and completly harmless. My opinion: Jeb shouldn't have remove this. It's stupid.

So how do I get my seed now, and how do I use it to work out where the slime chunks are?

Finding your seed is fairly simple if you are the owner of the server. It pop-ups in the console when you start the server. It goes fast, but it'll also be in the server.log file. You've to read many lines to find it, but it's there.

Do slimes spawn on half blocks? If I'm unlucky enough, our of my 3x3 chunk underground lab, to have a slime chunk as part of that group (and it's quite likely) what is my best defence against slimes spawning. Can a golem kill slimes?

There is a wiki for that and why don't you just try some things? Isn't it that fun for you to find out for yourself? Personally, I like to find out everything myself. I search everywhere and try many things ingame. I almost don't ask anything and Minecraft is very well documented at all fronts.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Slime

Anyway, don't know about the Golum, I guess I'll try it sometime but it's not my personal main interest in the game. ;)

I first encountered the problem when my first lab hit a slime chunk. I tried all sorts after reading the wiki and asking advice, but I drew a blank and had to relocate the whole lab. Things like spawning on half blocks wasn't on the pages that I read. The documentation I have found to be bitty; some things aren't documented at all while some things are documented several different ways because things have changed over time and hardly any one puts the dates on their entries. Plus, I'm in a survival server, which is all my home system can support, with other people in the game. If I do anything, I have to do it legit, and dealing with this kind of thing, that far down beneath the ocean ... things can get ugly, very fast ... and I worked hard for this quantum armour, damit!

Removing the seed information is kind of logical. With that information you can recreate the whole world if you want to, and thereby explore everything with creative mode. Finding those slimy bastards is also part of the survival experience, so I do understand removing that information! Keeps the game a whole lot more fun if you ask me.

I'm hitting problems - we're wanting to make an underground cart railway and without knowledge of the slime chunks, we're running the risk of small slimes spawning in the tunnel system.

I've read this - http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/397835-find-slime-spawning-chunks-125/ - but its not working for me.Is it broken, or is it a browser set up thing here?

Not being able to see the slime chunks any more is really going to cramp our style. Ouch.

I'm hitting problems - we're wanting to make an underground cart railway and without knowledge of the slime chunks, we're running the risk of small slimes spawning in the tunnel system.

I've read this - http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/397835-find-slime-spawning-chunks-125/ - but its not working for me.Is it broken, or is it a browser set up thing here?

Not being able to see the slime chunks any more is really going to cramp our style. Ouch.

You could use something like worldguard to setup a region where mobs aren't allowed to spawn. If you have a very long tunnel then yeah... It's fucking tedious, but worth it. I recommend installing WorldEdit CUI in your client, so you could see what you select. Especially handy if you try to select big areas.

Just line the floor of the tunnel with half slabs and the slimes will not spawn. Only issue is dealing with the tracks as i think the little slimes can spawn on them. However they only spawn at level 40 and below so if you stay above that level their will be no slimes.