Manually Updating Mods

Is there a guide somewhere I can follow to manually update mods? I know Tekkit has some modifications which help mods coexist in harmony, but there are a few I want to update such as EE.

Ideally, what I need is a list of mods in Tekkit and which ones can be updated relatively harmlessly without breaking the entirety of Tekkit.

Most mods in the current dev build should be relatively safe to update, I don't know of any major changes in the version of Forge since tekkit 3 was released.

As for the specifics of updating, you'll need to enquire with someone more versed in Tekkit than I.

So Forge, EE, IC2, etc can be safely updated? Do I need the client version of the mods, the multiplayer version of the mods, or the server version of the mods? And what about my boyfriend's server. Will he have to update, too?

You shouldn't need to touch forge.

You'll need to install the clientside versions of the updates into your /.tekkit/mods folder.

The server will need the server versions of the mods, I'm not sure where they go specifically.

I see. Mostly concerned with updating EE since it has a lot of bugs and exploits that could be ironed out. IC2/Buildcraft seems pretty stable. I updated Rei's Mini Map to 3.1 without problem and I'm using Optifine C2 Multicore fine, too.

Minimap and Optifine are both totally clientside, so they don't really need anything extra from the server.

You just need to make sure that your client and server both have the same version of EE installed, or it could cause wierdness.

I see. Hopefully this will fix some issues. The new features in EE are great (Being able to see the EMC values of items with NEI? DO WANT :D - Not to mention the nerfs to Uranium and Oil buckets which is very welcome).

Update: Updating EE will not work. It causes Minecraft to crash. I'm guessing because it was made for the latest version of forge which Tekkit does not use. I am not sure what to do about this, but I went back to an earlier version. Too bad, because I would have loved the features it added.

Minimap and Optifine are both totally clientside, so they don't really need anything extra from the server.

You just need to make sure that your client and server both have the same version of EE installed, or it could cause wierdness.

Thanks for the help. I'll just wait until Tekkit updates the mods in the future. I think it's not very modular.

Looks like the 1.96 update for IC2 would be another good one to get and would fix a lot of issues with the mod in SMP. For example he finally fixed jet packs as well as a lot of other bugs/annoyances and even rebalanced a few things.

http://wiki.industrial-craft.net/index.php?title=Updates#v1.96.C2.A0.28IC.C2.B2.29

How ever I would personally prefer to wait for the tekkit devs to do the update, since a manual update can and will cause more problems then it is worth.

Looks like the 1.96 update for IC2 would be another good one to get and would fix a lot of issues with the mod in SMP. For example he finally fixed jet packs as well as a lot of other bugs/annoyances and even rebalanced a few things.

http://wiki.industrial-craft.net/index.php?title=Updates#v1.96.C2.A0.28IC.C2.B2.29

How ever I would personally prefer to wait for the tekkit devs to do the update, since a manual update can and will cause more problems then it is worth.

Maybe they'll release a DEV version we can play around with. That'd be cool.

It seems like Forge is very unfriendly with Tekkit. The new Forge does away with Modloader or something and most of the newer mods require the latest version of forge, which Tekkit doesn't use. It will be interesting to see how they get that working O.o.

I'd really like to see them do the 4096 fix, too.

Just wondering are you using the bukkit ports of the mods or are you trying to use the normal SMP/client side versions. As you need to use the bukkit versions of the mods for the server, while the client uses the normal ones.

Just wondering are you using the bukkit ports of the mods or are you trying to use the normal SMP/client side versions. As you need to use the bukkit versions of the mods for the server, while the client uses the normal ones.

So I need to download the EE Bukkit versions? I went to the EE thread on the Official Minecraft forums and grabbed the Client version from there. I removed EE 1.4.5.1 from my mod folder and replaced it with 1.4.6.2 and tried to start up, only to get an error message about Forge and EE.

Does the client start at all or does it crash only when you attempt to join a server?

If the client crashes upon startup, its either:

1) Forge Modloader

2) mod_ee.props (i think thats the file name) missing some information.

However, replacing the above file with the one supplied by the usual EE will also cause problems unless the itemID's are changed to reflect tekkit's item id's

I knew it wouldn't work starting on our server, because EE wasn't updated yet; so I started a single player world. I could get to the menu just fine, but once I tried to enter my world, it would eventually turn into a while screen after playing for a few seconds.