Running While Offline...

Reko

Minecraft's landscape is divided into sections called "chunks", these are 16x16 block tubes that extend from floor to ceiling, and are how minecraft stores world data. In SMP, a chunk is loaded only when a player is nearby; what this means for you, is that any sort of automatic functionality occurring on those chunks (machines, quarries, trees growing, etc etc) only happen when someone is nearby to keep those chunks active.

A chunk loader block, aka teleport tether (and it's more effective / expensive twin, the world anchor) will keep the chunk they are placed in active, whether or not a player is nearby. This allows quarries, machines, and so forth to continue working while no one's around to watch them. In order to ensure that your chunk loader is placed on the same chunk as your machines, you can use rei's minimap to outline chunk boundaries (period button opens options window > surfacemap options > display chunk boundaries) and use the grid that appears.

Hope this helps.

The way mine craft works is it will only load a radius of 10 chunks around each player for a total of a 21x21 area or 441 chunks per player. If you move more than 10 chunks away from your base to say build a quarry, than you may run into issues with chunks unloading. When a chunk unloads it is as if it is not even there and nothing will be running with in it.

Thankfully we have a tool known as chunk loaders (teleport tethers and world anchors) which will force a 3x3 area of chunks to stay loaded at all times no matter if a player is near or not.

Edit - Just a warning try to always use as few chunk loaders as possible as using too many can bog down the server. As they count as mini players which will never log off and their fore will keep the server working non-stop.

You rarely if ever need more than two. One for your home base if you have things 'generating', via IC, BC, or EE, and one if you have a separate location remotely providing materials to that base that you don't spend any actual time adventuring in.

Three obsidian down the middle, Two diamonds left and right of center, One gold bar in each of the four corners. And you can combine it with a railcart if you want a mobile version.

The only feature the teleport tether has that the anchor does not, is that when you place one, you can press f9 to see the coverage area. So you can still use them for that, then break them and put down the anchor once you are satisfied you've got the right spot.

hmm ok thanks..... now do macerators and stuff like that continute to run...... im confused been doing some testing and if i put 5 ore in my mace log out wait 5 mine log back in there done?

and if i remember right i havent tried..... i remember starting a quarry loging off going to work and coming home and its done.....

this is all with the latest tekkit release server 3.0.4

I thought that chunkloaders and world anchors only worked if a player was logged into the world. In smp that would mean that somebody has to be online and if they are, the block will keep the area loaded where your machines are, and they will run.

In singleplayer though, if you leave it shouldnt keep running any of your machines. If i am correct, the world anchor acts as a fake player to keep everything in the area loaded.

Three obsidian down the middle, Two diamonds left and right of center, One gold bar in each of the four corners. And you can combine it with a railcart if you want a mobile version.

The only feature the teleport tether has that the anchor does not, is that when you place one, you can press f9 to see the coverage area. So you can still use them for that, then break them and put down the anchor once you are satisfied you've got the right spot.

It DOES have that function (F12). The only problem is, it doesn't show up. (For me at least, should be the same for anyone else I think) You could spawn a teleport tether for yourself in and use the F9 function and then if you want to do it legit, craft the anchor and place it on the exactly same place as the tether. (after removing the tether itself) That's not cheating at all, just a way to get around it until we have an anchor which does actually show something if you press F12.

EDIT: Holy cow! Sorry, correction. I tried F12 again myself and it does work, but it's barely visible. You should see a bunch of particles flowing around. Everywhere where you see those particles, it will work. Damn, I didn't see those last time. Must have over looked it because it's way too subtle.

i seem to have super lag when i look at a certain spot in my home location..... cant seem to figure it out either.... im running a amd 8150fx oced to 5gh 8 cores with 32 gigs of ram running the server locally...... its driving me nuts.... i used worldedit to search for chunloaders and nothing..... what else could be causeing all this lag?

back on topic i started a quarry last night and logged off work up 6 hours later and the quarry has finished..., there is still a little bit of lag but cant figure it out.. not as much seems to be getting worse the more i stay logged in

back on topic i started a quarry last night and logged off work up 6 hours later and the quarry has finished..., there is still a little bit of lag but cant figure it out.. not as much seems to be getting worse the more i stay logged in

It could be too many items traveling in buildcraft pipes or dropped on the ground. If you have a lot of blocks in transit it will lag your client/server badly.Try adding a buffer from tube stuff to the pipe system as it will condense items into stacks of 64 reducing the blocks in transit. Also look into the nolag bukkit plugin which dose the same thing for dropped blocks.