Minefactory carrot farm, trouble handling output.

WaffletimeCat

So,

I just made a planter and harvester as I usually do, however the same issue keeps popping up. Whenever I get carrots, how do I get only one stack into the planter, and keep the rest in the chest? I tried putting dirt in every slot in the planter except one to just keep one stack, but the thermal expansion itemducts keep pulling carrots out of the chest even if the planter is full, and it just stuffs them in its buffer.

My question is, how can I keep only one stack of carrots in the planter at a time, while still keeping the rest in the chest by the harvester without them being pulled out?

I think Itemducts do not work that way, i.e. they pull until you tell them to stop or some criteria for a shutting-off Redstone signal are met. I find it easiest to just view the Harvester output chest as a transitive buffer, hook the "carrot storage" up with Itemducts somewhere near, and connect that one to the Planter as a sort of loopback. A DSU works fine as a no-maintenance storage medium at this point, and you can even hook it up to an ME network later using a Storage Bus. Once you get an ME network, I suggest to replace most Itemduct connections with ME Cable and Import/Export Buses anyway.

You could use ME precision import & export buses to avoid this problem. Or you could create a loop (don't use any carrots, just circle them around) till you reach high enough number to fill up the planter and the pipes buffer. Once you've done that, split the harvesters output with "RoundRobin Transport pipe" from BC and have one of the outputs feed the loop and the other is your endless supply of carrots. Hope this helped.

Edited by Gomo

You could use ME precision import & export buses to avoid this problem. Or you could create a loop (don't use any carrots, just circle them around) till you reach high enough number to fill up the planter and the pipes buffer. Once you've done that, split the harvesters output with "RoundRobin Transport pipe" from BC and have one of the outputs feed the loop and the other is your endless supply of carrots. Hope this helped.

I think Itemducts do not work that way, i.e. they pull until you tell them to stop or some criteria for a shutting-off Redstone signal are met. I find it easiest to just view the Harvester output chest as a transitive buffer, hook the "carrot storage" up with Itemducts somewhere near, and connect that one to the Planter as a sort of loopback. A DSU works fine as a no-maintenance storage medium at this point, and you can even hook it up to an ME network later using a Storage Bus. Once you get an ME network, I suggest to replace most Itemduct connections with ME Cable and Import/Export Buses anyway.

Thanks to the both of you, it did help a lot! I think I'll just start on my ME system right now to avoid any more trouble with this and use export buses instead. Thanks for being on this so quickly.