You Decide!

pieiscool32

My B-Day is coming soon (YAY!) And I want to get a dedicated gaming system, because I am not a big fan of PC gaming. (other than minecraft) So I need help answering a question that may not be possible to answer, what should I get, there are 4 choices:

Onlive System (my preference)

PS3 (or whatever might come out)

XBOX360 (or whatever might come out)

PS VITA (looks cool)

Now, whichever you choose I want you to tell me why. For example: "get a ps3 for such and such reasons, I prefer it because of it's..." I want to get some good opinions.

Onlive looks super sketch to me.

checked out an article, and it mentions specifically Intel based computers. So if you have an AMD (which seems to have been gaining steam in the last few years due to its relative affordability)

Second of all, former CEO of EIDOS is involved... make of that what you will.

Finally It mentions specifically "first run, AAA games from publishers like EA, Take Two, and Atari" Still need more research, but EA is awful, almost uniformly, and take two hasn't made enough of an impression that i know who they are.

Basically, it sounds really limited, so unless you want to play the same unimaginative dull brown shooters and hyperrealistic racing games that the "major" game companies are trying to sell, it may not be a good choice. But like i said, i still need to do some more research, this is just my first impression.

If you can get a hold of one of the early run PS3's with the Emotion Engine intact, i'd say go for that, since they're backwards compatible with the PS2, which STILL has an enormous library of wonderful games. I mean, i can emulate the PS2 with some reliability on my current rig, and i have a backlog of 30 some-odd games that i could never afford to import before, just waiting to be played.

take two hasn't made enough of an impression that i know who they are.

:o

Here is a list of games that they have made/published. There are a few big names in there - you know, just one or two.

L.A. NOIRE

RED DEAD REDEMPTION

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER

GRAND THEFT AUTO: EPISODES FROM LIBERTY CITY

MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL 2K11

NBA 2K11

NBA 2K12

SID MEIER'S CIVILIZATION V

CARNIVAL GAMES: MONKEY SEE, MONKEY DO!

TOP SPIN 4 

MAX PAYNE 3

NEW CARNIVAL GAMES

NHL 2K11

BORDERLANDS GAME OF THE YEAR EDITION

BIOSHOCK 2

BORDERLANDS

MAFIA II

NBA 2K10

SPEC OPS: THE LINE

GRAND THEFT AUTO IV: THE BALLAD OF GAY TONY

GRAND THEFT AUTO: CHINATOWN WARS

MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL 2K10

NBA 2K10: DRAFT COMBINE

AGENT

GRAND THEFT AUTO IV: THE LOST AND DAMNED

ROCKSTAR GAMES AND TIMBALAND PRESENT: BEATERATOR

GRAND THEFT AUTO IV

MIDNIGHT CLUB L.A. REMIX

MIDNIGHT CLUB: LOS ANGELES

SID MEIER'S CIVILIZATION REVOLUTION

BIOSHOCK

CARNIVAL GAMES

WONDER PETS! SAVE THE ANIMALS!

BIRTHDAY PARTY BASH

CARNIVAL GAMES: MINI-GOLF

GRAND THEFT AUTO

GRAND THEFT AUTO 2

NBA 2K9

NHL 2K10

NI HAO, KAI-LAN SUPER GAME DAY

NI HAO, KAI-LAN: NEW YEAR'S CELEBRATION

SID MEIER'S CIVILIZATION IV

THE DARKNESS

THE WARRIORS

GRAND THEFT AUTO: SAN ANDREAS

GRAND THEFT AUTO: VICE CITY

MANHUNT 2

SID MEIER'S CIVILIZATION IV: BEYOND THE SWORD

SID MEIER'S CIVILIZATION IV: COLONIZATION

DON KING BOXING

DON KING PRESENTS PRIZEFIGHTER

DORA THE EXPLORER: DORA SAVES THE MERMAIDS

DORA THE EXPLORER: DORA SAVES THE SNOW PRINCESS

DORA THE EXPLORER: DORA'S WORLD ADVENTURE!

DORA THE EXPLORER: JOURNEY TO THE PURPLE PLANET

GRAND THEFT AUTO: LIBERTY CITY STORIES

GRAND THEFT AUTO: VICE CITY STORIES

MAX PAYNE 2: THE FALL OF MAX PAYNE

MIDNIGHT CLUB 3: DUB EDITION

MLB 2K8 FANTASY ALL-STARS

RED DEAD REVOLVER

RINGLING BROS. AND BARNUM & BAILEY

ROCKSTAR GAMES PRESENTS TABLE TENNIS

SID MEIER'S CIVILIZATION IV: WARLORDS

THE BIGS

TOP SPIN 3

BASEBALL BLAST!

BULLY

BULLY?®: SCHOLARSHIP EDITION

GHOST RIDER

GRAND THEFT AUTO ADVANCE

GRAND THEFT AUTO III

GRAND THEFT AUTO: LONDON 1969

MAFIA

MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL 2K9

MAX PAYNE

NBA 2K8

THE BIGS 2

THE ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION

THE ELDER SCROLLS IV: SHIVERING ISLES

ALL-PRO FOOTBALL 2K8

MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL 2K6

MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL 2K7

MANHUNT

NHL 2K9

COLLEGE HOOPS 2K6

COLLEGE HOOPS 2K7

COLLEGE HOOPS 2K8

ESPN NFL 2K5

FAMILY FEUD

FAMILY GUY VIDEO GAME!

FANTASTIC FOUR: RISE OF THE SILVER SURFER

GO, DIEGO, GO! GREAT DINOSAUR RESCUE

GO, DIEGO, GO! SAFARI RESCUE

JADE EMPIRE: SPECIAL EDITION

MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL 2K8

MIDNIGHT CLUB II

MLB 2K9 FANTASY ALL-STARS

MLB FRONT OFFICE MANAGER

NBA 2K6

NHL 2K7

NHL 2K8

NBA 2K7

NHL 2K6

CIVCITY: ROME

CLOSE COMBAT: FIRST TO FIGHT

24: THE GAME

CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY

DEAL OR NO DEAL

DUNGEON SIEGE II: BROKEN WORLD

DUNGEON SIEGE: THRONE OF AGONY

MIDNIGHT CLUB STREET RACING

MLB POWER PROS

MLB POWER PROS 2008

MLB STICKBALL

MLB SUPERSTARS

ONI

PREY

SERIOUS SAM II

SHATTERED UNION

SID MEIER'S RAILROADS!

SMUGGLER'S RUN WARZONES

STATE OF EMERGENCY

STRONGHOLD

STRONGHOLD 2

STRONGHOLD CRUSADER

STRONGHOLD LEGENDS

THE DA VINCI CODE

THE ITALIAN JOB

THRASHER: SKATE AND DESTROY

TOP SPIN

TOP SPIN 2

VIETCONG 2

WILD METAL

WORLD POKER TOUR

ZATHURA

CALL OF CTHULHU: DARK CORNERS OF THE EARTH

CONFLICT: GLOBAL TERROR

SID MEIER'S PIRATES!

SMUGGLER'S RUN

SMUGGLER'S RUN 2: HOSTILE TERRITORY

Wait, i wasn't aware they were involved in Bioshock and borderlands...

Either way, besides two or three gems (that i'm pretty sure didn't have a whole lot to do with them) the majority of that list was... uh... pretty awful.

Of that list of over 150 "games" i saw 6 that i enjoyed or would be willing to buy, (you can add another 5-6 to that if you really like the Civ series)

it's just me, but a 10% approval rating is pretty bad. Almost as bad as the U.S. Congress right now.

Eldmor,

Thanks for your input, this only makes me want to buy games on Onlive at first I was hesitant because I might get something else, but this is also the most cost effective option, also I have a MacBook Pro, so no problems there and I have fast cable net, so good there too. Thanks. Still looking for me opinions though, none uses XBOX anymore? Sad.

It's just that you only choose which games to buy. You don't buy every game from a publisher and ignore the ones you don't wish to play.

The demo system is pretty amazing; you get 30min of unrestricted play on the game. A really good jump for PCs as demos are usually non-existent or missing key features.

Also, you can watch other people playing instantaneously for a hands-off demo with no time limit.

Eldmor,

Thanks for your input, this only makes me want to buy games on Onlive at first I was hesitant because I might get something else, but this is also the most cost effective option, also I have a MacBook Pro, so no problems there and I have fast cable net, so good there too. Thanks. Still looking for me opinions though, none uses XBOX anymore? Sad.

No problem, just trying to get you the best for your situation.

I have a 360 that I hardly use anymore because most good games are multi-platform and even the most bare-bone of a gaming computer can beat that dinosaur. Plus the whole subscription fee for multiplayer is balls.

No problem, just trying to get you the best for your situation.

I have a 360 that I hardly use anymore because most good games are multi-platform and even the most bare-bone of a gaming computer can beat that dinosaur. Plus the whole subscription fee for multiplayer is balls.

I get what you're going at, My mac can handle most games that I toss at it because I made sure to get a dedicated graphics card, but if I go ahed and get a PS3 than I won't be able to play it on my tab. (the best thing about Onlive) I love how if I need to go some where than I can just take my tab with me and be happy. So I won't be needing a PS Vita to game on the go

Jay?, it sounds like you're biased based on the people involved and not the facts of the service.

Here's a video that reviews the service as a whole on first looks:

You're right, i am absolutely judging this by the people who are putting it out. The people involved haven't associated themselves with quality work, so it's harder for me to assume that they're work in the future is going to be passable.

The selection doesn't look very good, at least not so far. Also there seem to be issue with the video compression in games where details are very important.

Also, It seems like it would actually be less cost effective than upgrading your computer, in the long run.

If you're going to get a game on the computer, I recommend you get a Steam account and get it through that. Can't beat being able to take your games with you anywhere without having to worry about losing/damaging the disk. Not to mention the fact that it also has a pretty sizable collection of popular games that can also work on Macs. You know, in case if you actually are one of those mythic mac 'gamers'.

it's just me, but a 10% approval rating is pretty bad. Almost as bad as the U.S. Congress right now.

A ad that came up while I was posting.

My B-Day is coming soon...

Here, I got Frosty the Snowman. "HAPPY BIRDTHDAY!"

Onlive System (my preference)

PS3 (or whatever might come out)

XBOX360 (or whatever might come out)

PS VITA (looks cool)

Onlive: I have no Idea

PS3 : Better "Glare" effects, better 3D textures. Naughty Dog is on a rampage with PS3 exclusives.

Xbox : Already established fanbase. But you know Microsoft. However, it burns out after 3-4 years. Slightly better 3D modeling support for more model detail. Better processors, a list of things slightly better than PS3. It has Xbox exclusives from Microsoft like Gears of War and Halo. But most likely no hot games out of those series will be exclusive.

PSVita: I've heard reviews it could of been better, but it is okay, The internet function is practically useless, it also ha two joysticks unlike the PSP and Go. Semi-Good Microphone (only in some) and just a few downers. Too new to judge, as games are still starting to adapt. (Based of Game Informer review, and a small time of personal experience.)

Scoreboard

Online - ?

PS3 - 7

Xbox - 8.5

Vita - 6.5 (I usually don't use handhelds often.

Here, I got Frosty the Snowman. "HAPPY BIRDTHDAY!"

Thank you!

You guys put in so much info I'm having trouble picking the system I want. Now let me put in some info about what I am thinking of doing. I want to stick to Onlive for the moment because it is fairly cheap and I can use it on-the-go off my tab. Right now I don't want to buy a gaming console because of the fact that my TV is not the best and I want to wait to upgrade after seeing what is coming from CES. Also my neighbors and friends both have different gaming systems and I tried them out and still don't know what to buy. I also heard that Kinect for XBOX is getting an upgrade, so well see about that, one of the reasons I don't want to buy a dedicated gaming system. I am looking into steam but after using it on my dell I don't feel the need for it, Onlive is just about the same thing except I don't have to download the game. PS3 is becoming out-of-the-question, because the games on it is not what I was expecting and most of my friends have an XBOX, so we'll see about the XBOX. One more thing that I heard was that Onlive was going to get a place on the XBOX somewhere, it is only a rumor but I think it will be a deal-breaker if Onlive comes with XBOX, that will be neat. So for now I am sticking with onlive for a few reasons.

Thanks for the input, more would be nice, but for now I made up my mind about this, thanks to all of you who posted and let me get other opinions form people that are "pros" at gaming and computers.

I have a PS3 and all I ever use it for anymore is Netflix. There aren't new games for it very often that I'd bother with for the high cost. Most of the time a good game will come out and I will be thinking of getting it but I realize I can get the PC version on steam for less. The PC versions are also usually better depending on your computer.

Consoles are their limitations are becoming more of a weight on the gaming industry these days rather then the thing that drives it like it used to be.

Also anything EA touches turns to garbage so really you have no good options unless you spend your money on a better computer and get steam.