Howdy :)

Lothos

I figured I'd make a post to say hello to the community here. I run a tekkit server for a few friends and I trying to get them to play more minecraft :) Some ISP issues have caused grief over the weekend i'm still sorting, but the week now I've had to try and familiarize myself playing in a tekkit powered world has been illuminating.

As with any post, can't leave without asking some questions :)

First, rubber. I struggle like hell to keep enough supply coming in. I only just today found out that you can "kill" the tree if you tap it more after the orange dot disappears. And only yesterday did I figure out you could extract from the logs as well as the resin :/ On SSP the resin takes forever if ever to regen on the tree when compared to the behavior on SMP. I dont know why, but 50 trees weren't supporting my needs on SSP and yet 20 were enough for the 4 of us to start on SMP.

Next up, power. I only started discovering the benefits of upgrading solar panels beyond the base output units. I dabbled in creative with other sources, but frankly I don't see the point of the other methods beyond fascination given the cost to make them and continued run cost. Don't get me started on reactors :/

Lastly ore collection. Mostly iron is the problem, but copper and redstone are very close behind in consumption rate. We dabbled with a quarry on the SMP the first go round and took a long time to get it to work with landmarks to be placed, but every time we fired it up it blew up halfway thru the framing. It wasn't huge, but about 20-25 by 20-25 blocks. Also ran an auto miner on SSP and the output really wasn't that great even with the upgraded scanner and pre-scanned for 90+ values. Even with macerating the ores the rate I go thru stuff is staggering especially compared to how much I find/take in.

Anyway, not so much directed questions as much as its chit chat and a hello :) Always welcome input on starting out. I've redone my beginning house so many times to try and play around with wiring and transport pipes, its hard finding space in a wall anymore :)

I figured I'd make a post to say hello to the community here. I run a tekkit server for a few friends and I trying to get them to play more minecraft :) Some ISP issues have caused grief over the weekend i'm still sorting, but the week now I've had to try and familiarize myself playing in a tekkit powered world has been illuminating.

First, rubber. I struggle like hell to keep enough supply coming in. I only just today found out that you can "kill" the tree if you tap it more after the orange dot disappears. And only yesterday did I figure out you could extract from the logs as well as the resin :/ On SSP the resin takes forever if ever to regen on the tree when compared to the behavior on SMP. I dont know why, but 50 trees weren't supporting my needs on SSP and yet 20 were enough for the 4 of us to start on SMP.

Next up, power. I only started discovering the benefits of upgrading solar panels beyond the base output units. I dabbled in creative with other sources, but frankly I don't see the point of the other methods beyond fascination given the cost to make them and continued run cost. Don't get me started on reactors :/

Lastly ore collection. Mostly iron is the problem, but copper and redstone are very close behind in consumption rate. We dabbled with a quarry on the SMP the first go round and took a long time to get it to work with landmarks to be placed, but every time we fired it up it blew up halfway thru the framing. It wasn't huge, but about 20-25 by 20-25 blocks. Also ran an auto miner on SSP and the output really wasn't that great even with the upgraded scanner and pre-scanned for 90+ values. Even with macerating the ores the rate I go thru stuff is staggering especially compared to how much I find/take in.

Anyway, not so much directed questions as much as its chit chat and a hello :) Always welcome input on starting out. I've redone my beginning house so many times to try and play around with wiring and transport pipes, its hard finding space in a wall anymore :)

Welcome around here! Now, to answer your questions :

As for rubber, you're about right, ridiculous quantities of it are needed. This is one of the rare things I use EE for. But, I'm pretty sure that with 50 trees you should be alright for all your needs.

Next, power. First off, wind mills are HORRIBLE. Don't get near them, their uselessness could infect you. They need to be ridiculously high, and have a bunch of space around them, and they don't produce much anyway.

The solar panels are the easy and softcore solution, with a balance of price, EU production and no maintenance. But you need tremendous quantities of them if you want a good energy production.

Now, something I love : Geothermals. Those things are amazing. Get a big enough center going in the Nether : Free energy produced in enormous quantities pretty fast! An the in the overworld, make one right above a volcano, pretty much the same result.

But my beloved ones stay nuclear reactors. I don't see what you have against them. TREMENDOUS EU production, extremely compact. Uranium isn't all that rare once you get some quarries going, and you can re-enrich some of the depleted cells. The only problem is the safety measures, but I personally find that's what makes it even more fun. I think the nuclear reactors are the perfect end-game EU producers, don't under-estimate them.

And then, the ores. It seems that a lot of people have this kind of problem, but I personally don't. Sometimes, it seems the rarity of ores is seed-dependent, IE the rarity changes between different worlds. And you can't really do anything about that, sorry.

Also, don't make the error many do, try to play around with the RP pneumatic pipes too, they're just so much better than BC's. Brass isn't all that costy, and you will never overflow with them.

Have fun with the game!

I think the problem with reactors is the building cost in the early game. I simply can't afford a setup i'd be happy with too soon.

I tried a geothermal but honestly couldn't get it to automatically refill. Similar issue today dabbling with a reactor on creative trying to figure out how to feed it water buckets. I also couldn't get the reactor to turn off with redstone, but thats another hurdle.

I don't honestly find solar power that hard really, and right about the time I need more power in my base I'm already upgrading the "flower" design I came up with to the better panels. I use 25 panels off a centered batbox ( or soon MFE ) that feeds downward to another batbox/mfe inside the base. Fairly simple 4 spokes outward 3 blocks long for separation with 5 panels each and the top is 2 blocks up for the last 5. I start with tin wire and basic panels and then up them to copper and LV panels ( i only used 3 panels so far per leg to avoid going overboard on the initial batbox input limit )

A bug perhaps I have had in SSP. organics not growing/replenishing such as wheat/flax/rubber. And batboxes/mfe's/transformers stopping outputting power. Both seemed to require an exit and relaunch to get moving again. I'm suspecting java maybe?

I have not had much experience yet with any pipes. My friend made the first BC pipes initially and while cool, i avoided them mostly. I'm starting a fresh SSP map now due to lessons learned and a fukishima event :)

1. For rubber, "shave" the tree. Leave the top leaves, and cut the rest. Also leave all the logs, and tap it once. You'll get saplings and get a good farm going.

2. Other benefits are GREAT, solar power is a quick and rather simple way, you pay the cost for convinence. Geothermal, reactors, redpower watermills, etc are well worth it later on. Reactors can produce 2000 EU, PER TICK. This would require 2000 solar panels, and it'll work only in the night. Or, the less high ones can do 100 EU/T,100 solar panels and only really require uranium to continue running. Solar panels are basic, and shouldnt be used as your main power source. Switch to soemthing else ASAP.

3. The IC2 autominer isnt worth it, buildcraft quarries are also pretty fast, but you need a lot of power for them to go.

For above, dont use water buckets for internal cooling, either use cooling cells or intergated heat dispersers, or if you can, ice.

How do you get ice added automatically though? Same thought problem as it was with water buckets really.

My solar setup really is for the intially workshop building consisting really of only 3 macerators, 3 furnaces, extractor, compressor, and a canning machine and the recharging of my mining laser and lap pack :)

How do you get ice added automatically though? Same thought problem as it was with water buckets really.

My solar setup really is for the intially workshop building consisting really of only 3 macerators, 3 furnaces, extractor, compressor, and a canning machine and the recharging of my mining laser and lap pack :)

When you get mass fabricators (And you WANT to do so), you'll need to switch to nuclear energy, because those things devour energy crazy. For now you're alright, but if you want advanced machines, with overclockers and also quarries, a bunch of solar panels won't be enough. Here's the setup for my nuclear reactor :

I have an automatic ice making machine trap a snowman on a blockbreaker, get snowballs, compress snow balls into ice). Then, I just use pipes to feed the ice to my nuclear reactor. Don't forget, pipes can only connect to the reactor, the block in the middle not the chambers. With this, I can produce metric tons EU. Of course, if you're still early in the game, nuclear engineering is very expensive in high tech materials, but it pays off largely later.

ok, i didn't know that about pipes. does the same apply with redstone circuitry to turn the reactor off? has to hit the core and not a chamber?

A few of my friends want me to disable EE on the server since they feel its "cheating" :) I've not tried it myself but one of the guys brothers uses it frequently.

Is there a way to power a quarry with EU without the electric engine from forestry?

ok, i didn't know that about pipes. does the same apply with redstone circuitry to turn the reactor off? has to hit the core and not a chamber?

A few of my friends want me to disable EE on the server since they feel its "cheating" :) I've not tried it myself but one of the guys brothers uses it frequently.

Is there a way to power a quarry with EU without the electric engine from forestry?

There is a thing called energy link, for the quarry.

As for EE, I mostly have a problem with energy collectors, since they can basically make diamonds appear out of thin air.

For the reactor, didn't try turning it ON/OFF with redstone, I guess you could try. But I'm not sure about this. I don't have access to my save with all my machines right now.

nice, that link is handy...

I cannot get a quarry going using anything larger than the default area though. Every time I fire it up it blows up the quarry. Is the power requirement/threshhold very low on intial startup?

nice, that link is handy...

I cannot get a quarry going using anything larger than the default area though. Every time I fire it up it blows up the quarry. Is the power requirement/threshhold very low on intial startup?

What is the transformer before the quarry? The power requirement should be stable.

i tried making the quarry smaller and switched to a medium solar panel...same thing :/ maybe a LV panel?

Here is what your setup should look like : Energy source (Here, solar panels) - Energy storage (Batbox/MFE/MFSU), Transformer - energy link - quarry

I don't see why the quarry would explode... Plus, the wiki is outdated on this matter... You'll have to experiment, sorry, I can't help you anymore than that.

i blew another up smaller than default using 2 LV panels. any idea what the input limit is on the quarry using the link?

To be honest, I was pretty sure that the only panel able to blow up something was the HV one. two LV panels output 2 EU, which is extremely small. Thus, I think it is highly unlikely that your energy source is the cause of your problems. I know about them, but I haven't played around with the energy links myself yet, so I don't really know what to do. Hopefully somebody can help.

no, the LV panels are the 8EU output ones...the basic panels are 1EU a piece.

Seems to be 18EU to operate at full playing around with an MFE and the LV panels and basics.

any size but the default blows the quarry for me on SMP

no, the LV panels are the 8EU output ones...the basic panels are 1EU a piece.

Seems to be 18EU to operate at full playing around with an MFE and the LV panels and basics.

any size but the default blows the quarry for me on SMP

You're right for the LV panels. But what is happening sounds more like a bug than an error in configuration. Usually, the zone the quarry digs shouldn't change anything at all. Whether it's 64x64 or 5x5, my quarries need the same quantity of energy. Maybe it has something to do with the server? See if the same happens in singleplayer.

For massive amounts of rubber, I'd suggest investigating IC2's agricultural engineering features. You should be able to cultivate reeds that produce sticky resin fairly easily (they'll look like reeds up until their final stage of growth). To get started you'll need cropsticks made with 4 sticks and a cropnaliser/energy storage device (you can use anything from a battery, or crystal to a lap-pack). Place the cropsticks on farmland and place the seeds on the cropsticks. Right click the fully grown plant to harvest without removing the plant (it will soon grow again). Or left click to remove the plant and get a seed bag (chance of 0-2). Use the bag in the cropnaliser 4 times to determine it's statistics. Once you analyze the crop, plant is back down to grow again. (you can switch it out with stronger crops as you breed them.

To gain a new species of crop, plant two crops with a block of farmland in the middle. In the empty space between the fully grown crops, place a crop stick and then add a second one to that same stick. This will make a cross breeder.

Weeds will grow on unoccupied crop sticks including cross breaders. Use Weed-Ex made from a tin cell, redstone and grin powder (macerate spider eye) on them to prevent weed growth.

This may seem complex, but it is something fun to do in your free time. The rewards are also quite nice. With a little patience you will be able to cultivate plants that actually grow iron dust. There also are a few other hidden crops, like coffee or hops for beer ^_^

1. For rubber, "shave" the tree. Leave the top leaves, and cut the rest. Also leave all the logs, and tap it once. You'll get saplings and get a good farm going.

I don't know were this misconception comes from, but the top leaves do not affect resin regrowth. The top leaves are often left alone because they are hard to reach from the base of the tree. I repeat, you do not need to leave the top leaves on rubber trees to regrow resin.

For massive amounts of rubber, I'd suggest investigating IC2's agricultural engineering features. You should be able to cultivate reeds that produce sticky resin fairly easily (they'll look like reeds up until their final stage of growth). To get started you'll need cropsticks made with 4 sticks and a cropnaliser/energy storage device (you can use anything from a battery, or crystal to a lap-pack). Place the cropsticks on farmland and place the seeds on the cropsticks. Right click the fully grown plant to harvest without removing the plant (it will soon grow again). Or left click to remove the plant and get a seed bag (chance of 0-2). Use the bag in the cropnaliser 4 times to determine it's statistics. Once you analyze the crop, plant is back down to grow again. (you can switch it out with stronger crops as you breed them.

To gain a new species of crop, plant two crops with a block of farmland in the middle. In the empty space between the fully grown crops, place a crop stick and then add a second one to that same stick. This will make a cross breeder.

Weeds will grow on unoccupied crop sticks including cross breaders. Use Weed-Ex made from a tin cell, redstone and grin powder (macerate spider eye) on them to prevent weed growth.

This may seem complex, but it is something fun to do in your free time. The rewards are also quite nice. With a little patience you will be able to cultivate plants that actually grow iron dust. There also are a few other hidden crops, like coffee or hops for beer ^_^

I do not know were this misconception comes from, bu the top leave do not affect resin regrowth. The top leaves are often left alone because they are hard to reach from the base of the tree. I repeat, you do not need to leave the top leaves on rubber trees to regrow resin.

Is the amanite part of this addon? I have loads of the stuff, and I have no idea as to what to do with it.

i was reading a bit on the crops today once I discovered a mention of that as an alternative.

I figured out my quarry problem. User error :/ The wiki really needs this added as info for how to work with the landmarks.

1. Quarry MUST be placed next to the landmark AFTER they're activated ( red beams)

2. It MUST be placed OUTSIDE the red beams in addition to rule #1 ( my stupidity here )

Not a big deal as once my sip fixes their issue i'm resetting the server map. 9 quarries going all over the place :)

So, cheap quarry is 1 quarry block, 1 eneregy link, park 1 batbox and 3 LV solar panels on the batbox and you got a mobile quarry setup

Is the amanite part of this addon? I have loads of the stuff, and I have no idea as to what to do with it.

Do you mean apatite? That is an item from Forestry used to make fertilizer for the farms as well as biogas production.

To make IC2 fertilizer, either craft one bonemeal and one scrap together, or craft one fertilizer and two scrap together. You can apply this to crops by hand to make them grow faster and stronger, or you can automate the process by using a Crop-Ma-Tron. The Crop-ma-tron covers a 9 by 9 area (the same as a water block moistening farmland) and will automatically apply Weed-Ex, fertilizer, and hydration cells to the crops. Hydration Cells, crafted by extracting coolant cells, are required to make some of the higher tire plants grow.

A few other tips I've found are that swamps are the best for crops to grow in followed by rainforest and mushroom. Having 3 dirt blocks underneath the farmland block helps as well. Weather also does not effect the crops in the current release of IC2.

P.S. To make a barrel for beer(hops/wheat/water cells) or rum(reeds) craft one rubber wood with planks on the top and bottom. Place this on scaffold, insert your ingredients and wait. When you want to take a swig, pop in a tree tap, and right click with a stone mug. Viola you can now get drunk in minecraft. :D

i was reading a bit on the crops today once I discovered a mention of that as an alternative.

I figured out my quarry problem. User error :/ The wiki really needs this added as info for how to work with the landmarks.

1. Quarry MUST be placed next to the landmark AFTER they're activated ( red beams)

2. It MUST be placed OUTSIDE the red beams in addition to rule #1 ( my stupidity here )

Not a big deal as once my sip fixes their issue i'm resetting the server map. 9 quarries going all over the place :)

So, cheap quarry is 1 quarry block, 1 eneregy link, park 1 batbox and 3 LV solar panels on the batbox and you got a mobile quarry setup

Good job for making it work after all. I didn't know the quarry literally blew up if the landmarks were placed incorrectly.

SNIP

Yeah, apatite... I don't know why I said the name of random mushroom at the place. I might try myself at farming, once I'm done with my demon tower of doom.

Another (somewhat OP feeling) way of generating large amounts of power is using watermills + buckets + Redpower. they're rediculiously cheap to make (1 generator + some wood = 2 of them) and when they have water bucketed into them they produce 2 eu/t.

You can use a retriever combined with some deployers and a filter all on a redstone timer to get 60+ of these things working at once. The end result is power exceeding most mark I reactors.

Though, honestly, if you are willing to use the solar arrays (we actualy ban them on my server) those are probably the best and most convinant by FAR as you get more nd more resources. I would be tempted to set up some kind of auto crafting method (or just dump all the nessasary raw materials into a crafting table III)