Mod - Item Stand

milcondoin

Does a mod with the following properties exist?

Mod adds a freely placeable block.

On Interaction (right-click) switch internal storage of the block with stuff in hand of the player. Bonus points for showing the current storage somehow.

When I rightclick on this block, the following happens:

before: my hand empty, block storage empty

after: nothing happens.

before: my hand full, block storage empty

after: my hand empty, block storage filled with stuff from playerhand

before: my hand empty, block storage full

after: my hand filled with storage stuff, block storage empty

before: my hand full, block storage full

after: my hand filled with storage stuff, block storage filled with stuff from playerhand

Inspiration for this mod:

I have my BuildCraft wrench in the storage and my request pipe from my logistics network close by. I use that new block, have the wrench, use it on the pipe, and then use the new block again. No searching around, where I have that wrench stored currently in a chest or my inv.

I don't know what keywords would work to find a mod like this via google, so I opted for the collective intelligence of the forum :)

Edit: Mod has been written. More infos at http://technicpack.net/forums/threads/19305/

• 2 weeks later...

You'd have to write a custom renderer for that, and not even Risugami has that working with many mod items.

Then I humbly retract the suggestion. I wasn't really thinking that it would update the graphic to show the tools, just that it would look like a pegboard and hang on the wall. I'm no coder. I'm a creative type. I leave the real work to the smart kids.

If you didn't want the graphic to update with its contents, that's much more feasible. You'd create a simple container with filtered slots to accept only those tools, using reflection to get references to check which mods are installed, and then override the function to get texture by side after setting a smaller hitbox.

• 2 weeks later...

I've written that mod now myself. It's a good thing, that someone invented easy to use decompilers to watch the code of other mods. That made the learning curve smoother ;-)

If anybody is interested: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bqv2fh6a40zel2h/ItemStand-0.2.0.zip

Source: https://www.dropbox.com/s/itee3zynbjbllt0/ItemStand-0.2.0-src.zip

SSP only. Maybe sometime in the future SMP, if I can motivate myself to learn how to do that.

I forgot to mention something important:

Recipe:

8 wooden planks around 1 glass panel.

If anybody knows a recipe, which clashes with this, please tell me. I'd probably switch then to 8 sticks around the panel or maybe switch the panel with a glass block.