[WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?

Hey All,

I'm lead to believe that this isn't just a specific Tekkit Server issue however it never happened hosting my vanilla server. The server has been running for about 3 weeks now and this:

[WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?

Only started showing up yesturday. The servers only got 4 people on at a time (MAX) and we are all getting immense Lag now. I have configured the Launcher.bat like this

java -Xmx4G -Xms4G -jar Tekkit.jar nogui

pause

which I believe means i'm running the server with 4gb RAM

I have a fairly decent gaming computer:

- AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4GHz

- Nvidia GTX 570 1gb

- 8gb Vengence 1333mhz RAM

- 1tb HDD

- Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

- 750 OCZ PSU

There was little if any lag for the whole past 3 weeks but now everyone is lagging quite a bit and the server console is constantly getting these [WARNING] messages about the server time changing or something... Does anyone know how I can fix this and get my server running normal Lag free again?!

Thanks!

this happens to my vanilla server too. First fix that i found is to make sure you and all others have a stable internet connection. Next is that sometimes it happens when someone is hacking. Thos always happens cuz my freind uses nodus. Thats all i can say hope it helped ;)

Well we all have stable internet connections and its a private white list server we all know each other so no one is 'Hacking' any other ideas ? :\

Im just more curious as to why this hasn't happened in the past 3 weeks its only started displaying the [Warning] messages recently (1 day ago), rest of the time has been a perfect server.

And i'm not capped or close to my cap for my internet plan either..

Really need help on this one cose the lag im getting (im host) has rendered the game unplayable..

Cheers!

Well we all have stable internet connections and its a private white list server we all know each other so no one is 'Hacking' any other ideas ? :\

Im just more curious as to why this hasn't happened in the past 3 weeks its only started displaying the [Warning] messages recently (1 day ago), rest of the time has been a perfect server.

And i'm not capped or close to my cap for my internet plan either..

Really need help on this one cose the lag im getting (im host) has rendered the game unplayable..

Cheers!

okay.......... lemme see most issues seem to be fixed. do you have Comcast? i have Comcast internet and it is actually very unstable. its been glitching out for me for the past few weeks D:

Also can u help with a tekkit problem im having?

I had this problem on a tekkit server host, since moving to another host haven't had the issue, with the same map files. Since your pc has more memory than the server I moved to I can only assume its the connection or possibly the processing power, minecraft only uses 1 core, so it needs to be running as fast as possible since it matters not how many cores there are.

I am haiving problems with my Tekkit server also, same problem, but I have no idea how to check how much allocated my server is using. (Dont know how to check)

System spec-

AMD Phenom II x4 965 Processor (3.40Ghz)

8Gb RAM

64-Bit vista

255gb HDD

Nvidia Getforce HDCP GTX 295 (1792Mb)

I have been told multiple times that my PC should run a minecraft server with ease/effortlessly.

I have been running my server for about 2months give or take a few days, the "Warning" message has come up a couple of times but didn't spam until last night. I only have myself, a few friends and a few members of family on on server, max at one time was 13. (Inc me) I have been using the "launch.bat" that i got with the tekkit server download from the yogscast download site and that has been ok untill now, if anyone can help me, would be greatly appreciated. :P

Check for lag causes ingame first, before you start messing with memory allocation. If the server ran fine for a few weeks, then look for changes since the problems started. Ask players what they built and check it (overloading chests from quarries, badly setup timers, or huge amount of cobblestone generators etc). Or if you installed new plugins, check if they run correctly etc.

I have found the problem, I checked every red-stone/steam/combustion engine on my server and turned all of them off, one of my friends left their Quarry on and the items went on the floor rather than through the pipes, (2inventories full) after i pick up the pile of cobble, Dirt and Ore's the message went away. Most of the block go into the Energy condenser and used to make red matter. (that is how my friend has no filled diamond chests)

Also thank you for the info, and I hope this thread helps other server owners / players in the future :)

its your ram or cpu that cant handle the load on your server

First of you must know ! When a vanilla server can run 400 slots a same spec Tekkit will only do 100 !

Tekkit mods have a huge prossing power demand

like it commonly know minecraft only is able to use 1CPU with makes having multi core cpu's not a real Benefit (for now)

I got myself a very high end 24 core system with 32 gigs of ram and even i get this sometimes when 5 people are exploring really far out at the same time

Also block braikers are a pain in the ass for your CPU. Also having almoste all mods enabled and then having a shitload of plugins in your server.

Just make sure no one is using to huge of block braiker setups or huge setups with EE farms. The massive ammount of items in pipes can give chunk overloads

Also just strait pipe loops will kill a server

a tip for the make it

java -Xmx4G -Xms4G -jar Tekkit.jar nogui

pause

make it

java -Xmx5G -Xms2G -jar Tekkit.jar nogui

pause

Xms stand for minimal usage

and Xmx for maximum

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

According to Jens Bergsten, Mojang employee: "This message is written when the server is unable to update the world in normal speed (20 frames per second). This is mainly due to saving and loading chunks. We're working on it... "

Having a huge number of chunks loaded simultaneously with high object activity (BC pipes) will murder your performance. Avoiding massive stretches of BC pipe (use of teleport pipes) will mitigate a huge portion of the burden. I will make note that after making the move to a Solid State Drive with a SATA 3 bus made a huge impact on this issue. Ultimately this issue will not be fixed until the native code is updated (which i believe it was and we should see this in the next major release of tekkit). Be patient and in the mean time, avoid huge stretches of BC pipe and excessive use of world anchors.