Cyclotron Industries - Delicious Cake Update!

flamingsalad

Hey everyone. I bought Minecraft not too long ago (3 weeks ago?) so I guess I'm pretty new to the community. I got interested in Tekkit after watching some videos on YouTube so I decided to start my own server. After poking around in it for a while, I started this project. I have absolutely no clue what to name it so it will remain unnamed for now. Update (28 July 2012): It is now named Cyclotron Industries! I really had no idea at all what to name it, so I just used a random word. If you have a better name that you think I should use, do tell me! (:

I am aware that there are a ton of factories already present on this board, but hopefully there's space for one more :D

This is (in essence) a factory with its systems in different buildings. Here is an overview of the compound:

krL1z.jpg

All of the buildings are password-protected, and each building has its own password. I also have interdiction torches and rings of ignition on DM pedestals around the compound to fend off mobs.

And now, on to the individual buildings and systems.

The control center:

This is the control center, where the player can control all the systems from. The door uses pistons, unlike the other buildings which use iron doors.

This is the entrance of the control center:

QWqzA.jpg

Right next to the main door, there is a quick-drop chest for the player to put any items he may have come across in his travels or mining. These items are automatically sent to the sorter (shown later).

kvA8h.jpg

Upstairs is where the main part of the control center is:

7zWnB.jpg

Up here, there is a large screen that displays the statuses of the various systems in the compound. The ceiling and walls are also mostly reinforced glass (with a viewing platform on a slightly higher level) so the player can see the whole compound.

nT6kQ.png

Beside that is a computer that allows the player to turn systems on and off. The player first inputs which system he wants to control, and is then told whether the system is running. He is then given the option to turn the system on or off, depending on its current state.

qeG5D.png

The main redstone controllers:

Behind the screen is where the main redstone controller circuits are. I used wireless transmitters to communicate with the receivers in each system.

MHRK8.jpg

The Storage Room

In the basement of the control center (access is from behind the stairs on the first level) is where all the items are stored. The storage room has 4 main blocks of diamond chests, with each block containing 18 chests.

LmPr5.jpg

The sorter:

The sorter, also in the basement, receives items from the systems and sorts them. It sends items like cobblestone, sand etc to the recycler, ore to the ore refinery, and so on and so forth. Any item that does not need to be processed is sent to the storage room and automatically sorted into the chests.

wdcUY.jpg

It also has individual chests at the side (3 on each side) for the player to put items into should he want to send them to the respective systems.

oCCNB.jpg

The solar panels:

Directly behind the control center is a large array of solar panels. This is where all my power comes from. I have no windmills or any other methods of generating power.

l7eIJ.jpg

The power room:

The power from the solar panels is fed into the power room, where it is stored in MFSUs. 67 of them.

szvBc.jpg

The power output from the MFSUs is sent via underground passageways (all fully accessible via the power room for any modification) to the various systems around the compound. It also has an emergency circuit breaker should the player need to stop all power flow.

abPAp.png

Aaaand on to the systems! The input for all of these systems are mainly from the sorter, and they output back to the sorter. All of the pipes are underground.

The ore refinery:

This system refines iron, gold, copper, tin and silver ore into their respective ingots. I used electric furnaces and regular macerators, both filled with overclockers, transformer upgrades and storage upgrades. I didn't use rotary macerators or induction furnaces because I found these to be faster.

LZ6zV.jpg

Each ore has its own individual lane, and a chest at the start of each lane. There is an underground timer that controls the energy link pumping the items out of the chests. However, an energy link pumps out 2 stacks of ore with each cut of the redstone current so I split the path up into 2 macerators. The timer is set to 20 seconds as each macerator takes 20 seconds to macerate a stack of 64 ores. The dust from both macerators is then fed into one electric furnace (yes, it's fast enough) and the ingots are output into another chest, where the they are sent back to the sorter.

This is the rate at which it produces ingots:

ZCPaT.jpg

All 5 lanes combined, it effectively produces ingots at a rate of 64 per second. This system took me the longest to design, and many of the other systems are based off this.

The furnace:

Anything that needs to be smelted or cooked is sent here. Again, these are electric furnaces with upgrades instead of induction furnaces.

ZTHzO.png

The compressor:

Compresses things. Mainly uranium. I don't know what else to send here at the moment. All of the machines contain upgrades.

SNBTK.png

The macerator:

Macerates things that are sent to it. All of the machines contain upgrades as well.

qscmh.png

The extractor:

Extracts rubber from rubber wood and sticky resins. Each of them has their own lane of 2 extractors (again for the same reason that energy links pump out 2 stacks at once with every redstone current cut).

x0LTH.png

The recycler and mass fabricator:

Both of these are located in the same building, as the recycler sends scrap into the mass fabricator.

The recycler takes in any useless crap that the quarry (or player) finds and converts it into scrap. There are 4 recyclers in total, and all are upgraded.

wkrZj.jpg

The scrap is fed into 9 mass fabricators (using distribution pipes to keep the distribution even), which make UU-matter.

JiQfI.jpg

The quarry:

I started with a small quarry (default size) just to test it out, but I will possibly make it larger (64*64). Sends all mined materials to the sorter.

VS23J.jpg

And that's it! I hope I didn't miss out anything ;_;

This factory was made in about 11 days. Pretty much played Tekkit whenever I had no homework to do or tests to study for (or when I had long breaks in school). I am aware that BC pipes are inferior to RP tubes in some ways, but I started off with BC so I decided to make the entire factory work on BC pipes first. I may redo the piping to change some of them to RP tubes, but I'll have to take some time to experiment with the accelerators, magtubes, sorting machine and whatnot.

I may also be adding other things like wheat farms, melon farms, mushroom farms etc just for fun. I'm also thinking of incorporating some more EE elements like energy condensers, and possibly a cobblestone generator to feed into the recycler and energy condenser.

I would appreciate comments on how to improve the factory further! Or other cool things to add to it :D Thanks!

Update (28 July 2012):

The entire compound is now called Cyclotron Industries (don't ask me why, it was completely random, name suggestions are welcome). Also, I have added a cake factory to the compound! :D

The cake factory contains a few components, and they basically send wheat, sugar, eggs and milk to a central chest, which is placed next to an automatic crafting table which makes the cake. The cake is then sent back to the sorter and sent to storage.

The cake factory comprises of the following components:

The chicken farm:

Contains chickens which lay eggs (duh). Filters suck in the eggs and send them to the central chest.

1RgiL.jpg

The milker:

The poor, poor cow in the milker gets milked several times a second when empty buckets are sent to it. At least the cow magically has infinite milk.

WqpNR.png

The sugar cane farm:

The sugar cane farm has 6 rows of 23 sugar cane each, with a block breaker over each sugar cane. A redstone pulse is sent to the block breakers every 30 seconds to break any sugar cane that has grown. Drops my FPS by a little bit but all's good. Any broken sugar cane is sent to a chest placed next to an automatic crafting table, which converts the sugar cane to sugar and sends it to the central chest.

LXAwx.jpg

The wheat farm:

Contains 2 rows of 8 blocks of tilled dirt each. A redstone pulse is sent every 10 seconds, which is split into 3 paths and staggered using repeaters. 2 of these paths are sent to the assemblers: the first pulse plants the seed, and the second pulse uses bone meal on the seed, causing it to instantly grow into wheat. The third path/pulse is sent to the block breakers, breaking all the wheat and sending them to the central chest.

8vw7M.jpg

There is a seed chest and a bone meal chest, sending 1 seed and 1 bone meal to each assembler every 10 seconds (the assemblers have a 2 seed and bone meal buffer so they don't run out). Seeds obtained from breaking the wheat are sent back to the seed chest. Bone meal is made using a condenser (I got the idea from Backplague), and a filter sends 16 bone meal to the bone meal chest every 10 seconds.

I have also updated parts of the original factory! The pipes in the sorter are now on the ceiling so the player doesn't have to keep jumping over them.

gjWQL.jpg

All the pipes sending items to and receiving items from the various systems have also been changed to RP tubes! Accelerators + magtubes are a million times faster than gold pipes.

Some other minor changes have also been made. The cake factory is an entirely new system, so it has been added to the status screen and the control computer. A circuit breaker has also been added in the control center, in addition to the one that already exists in the power room.

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, a download would be awesome. Actually, I made a much simpler system using advanced machines instead of uprgraded regular machines, and it works pretty nicely, although my system is direct sort, you have to manually process what you mine up. It's a lot less user friendly, and there is no convienent off switch, you have to switch the teleport pipe that connects to the quarry to can receive false. In other words, yours blows mine out of the water entirely

All that is pretty awesome! Also, if you really feel like your compressors are left aside, you could probably fit a diamond factory somewhere in there, no? ;)

With your quarry, you'll soon have more coal than you know what to do with.

Yeah, a download would be awesome. Actually, I made a much simpler system using advanced machines instead of uprgraded regular machines, and it works pretty nicely, although my system is direct sort, you have to manually process what you mine up. It's a lot less user friendly, and there is no convienent off switch, you have to switch the teleport pipe that connects to the quarry to can receive false. In other words, yours blows mine out of the water entirely

I might provide a download soon (: I just have to fix up some of my tunneling as the tunnels look pretty ugly right now.

Some of my earlier versions of the ore refinery (I have a log of the versions, if you're interested in it) used the advanced machines, but after I started playing with the upgrades I switched back to the standard ones for efficiency. I also tried using teleport pipes for quick transportation for a while, but they had to be "reinitialized" (right click to reconnect the pipes) whenever I reconnected to the server, so to make the entire system more reliable, I stopped using them.

All that is pretty awesome! Also, if you really feel like your compressors are left aside, you could probably fit a diamond factory somewhere in there, no? ;)

With your quarry, you'll soon have more coal than you know what to do with.

That sounds like a great idea! I could probably set up a production line with automatic crafting tables and compressors. That would also give some use for any obsidian that the quarry mines.

I might provide a download soon (: I just have to fix up some of my tunneling as the tunnels look pretty ugly right now.

Some of my earlier versions of the ore refinery (I have a log of the versions, if you're interested in it) used the advanced machines, but after I started playing with the upgrades I switched back to the standard ones for efficiency. I also tried using teleport pipes for quick transportation for a while, but they had to be "reinitialized" (right click to reconnect the pipes) whenever I reconnected to the server, so to make the entire system more reliable, I stopped using them.

That sounds like a great idea! I could probably set up a production line with automatic crafting tables and compressors. That would also give some use for any obsidian that the quarry mines.

If you want a good, bugless replacement for the teleport pipes, you could study the possibilities offered by enderchests. Once I started using them, I just couldn't stop.

If you want a good, bugless replacement for the teleport pipes, you could study the possibilities offered by enderchests. Once I started using them, I just couldn't stop.

*Smacks head* wow, I can't believe I didn't think of that before. Do the pipes work flawlessly with them, though? Sounds like a good way to transport any item anywhere, especially since ender chests can have their own unique codes.

Oh and, are there any reliable ways to teleport power? Or am I better off putting down a few solar panels and MFSUs every time I move the quarry? Right now it takes power from the power room because it's so close to it, but if I were to move the quarry far away...

*Smacks head* wow, I can't believe I didn't think of that before. Do the pipes work flawlessly with them, though? Sounds like a good way to transport any item anywhere, especially since ender chests can have their own unique codes.

Oh and, are there any reliable ways to teleport power? Or am I better off putting down a few solar panels and MFSUs every time I move the quarry? Right now it takes power from the power room because it's so close to it, but if I were to move the quarry far away...

I am pretty sure they do, even though I usually prefer using tubes whenever I can, including with enderchest :P

As for power, yes I've managed a fairly expensive, but 100% efficient system. On one side, you have your charged MFSU whose power you want to move, as well as an enderchest filled with empty lapotron crystals. You send the crystals in the superior slot of the MFSU to chrge them, and once they're charged, a filter automatically takes them out and sends them back at the enderchest. Far away, where you want to teleport the power, you have an empty MFSU, another enderchest with the same code, and also a retriever powered by blutricity. Filters take charged crystals out of the chest, sends them in the bottom slot of the mfsu, and a retriever takes out the empty crystals to put them back in the chest. Do you see where this is going? This makes a cycle where power is being transferred from one MFSU to another, without any loss, and at an infinite distance. I will try making screenshots.

Edit:

Here it is :

MrclX.jpg

If want an explanation of some sort, don't hesitate to ask!

I am pretty sure they do, even though I usually prefer using tubes whenever I can, including with enderchest :P

As for power, yes I've managed a fairly expensive, but 100% efficient system. On one side, you have your charged MFSU whose power you want to move, as well as an enderchest filled with empty lapotron crystals. You send the crystals in the superior slot of the MFSU to chrge them, and once they're charged, a filter automatically takes them out and sends them back at the enderchest. Far away, where you want to teleport the power, you have an empty MFSU, another enderchest with the same code, and also a retriever powered by blutricity. Filters take charged crystals out of the chest, sends them in the bottom slot of the mfsu, and a retriever takes out the empty crystals to put them back in the chest. Do you see where this is going? This makes a cycle where power is being transferred from one MFSU to another, without any loss, and at an infinite distance. I will try making screenshots.

Edit:

Here it is :

If want an explanation of some sort, don't hesitate to ask!

You are a genius. And yeah, I understand that setup :D I'll try it out when I move my quarry! Thanks man.

Do you know if the chunk has to remain loaded for it to work at a really long distance? If so then I assume that a world anchor would work?

You are a genius. And yeah, I understand that setup :D I'll try it out when I move my quarry! Thanks man.

Do you know if the chunk has to remain loaded for it to work at a really long distance? If so then I assume that a world anchor would work?

Thanks! I like compact setups. And yes to the two questions.

I love seeing people make different kind of factories :) But storing 670,000,000 EU? Holy fuck. Also, the emergency circuit breaker switch in my opinion should be in the control room, makes it easier to handle and also cooler.

Yeah, that's true. I could also have one in both the power room and the control center, just in case :)

Update! The entire compound is now called Cyclotron Industries (don't ask me why, it was completely random, name suggestions are welcome). Also, I have added a cake factory to the compound! :D

The cake factory contains a few components, and they basically send wheat, sugar, eggs and milk to a central chest, which is placed next to an automatic crafting table which makes the cake. The cake is then sent back to the sorter and sent to storage.

The cake factory comprises of the following components:

The chicken farm:

Contains chickens which lay eggs (duh). Filters suck in the eggs and send them to the central chest.

1RgiL.jpg

The milker:

The poor, poor cow in the milker gets milked several times a second when empty buckets are sent to it. At least the cow magically has infinite milk.

WqpNR.png

The sugar cane farm:

The sugar cane farm has 6 rows of 23 sugar cane each, with a block breaker over each sugar cane. A redstone pulse is sent to the block breakers every 30 seconds to break any sugar cane that has grown. Drops my FPS by a little bit but all's good. Any broken sugar cane is sent to a chest placed next to an automatic crafting table, which converts the sugar cane to sugar and sends it to the central chest.

LXAwx.jpg

The wheat farm:

Contains 2 rows of 8 blocks of tilled dirt each. A redstone pulse is sent every 10 seconds, which is split into 3 paths and staggered using repeaters. 2 of these paths are sent to the assemblers: the first pulse plants the seed, and the second pulse uses bone meal on the seed, causing it to instantly grow into wheat. The third path/pulse is sent to the block breakers, breaking all the wheat and sending them to the central chest.

8vw7M.jpg

There is a seed chest and a bone meal chest, sending 1 seed and 1 bone meal to each assembler every 10 seconds (the assemblers have a 2 seed and bone meal buffer so they don't run out). Seeds obtained from breaking the wheat are sent back to the seed chest. Bone meal is made using a condenser (I got the idea from Backplague), and a filter sends 16 bone meal to the bone meal chest every 10 seconds.

I have also updated parts of the original factory! The pipes in the sorter are now on the ceiling so the player doesn't have to keep jumping over them.

gjWQL.jpg

All the pipes sending items to and receiving items from the various systems have also been changed to RP tubes! Accelerators + magtubes are a million times faster than gold pipes.

Some other minor changes have also been made. The cake factory is an entirely new system, so it has been added to the status screen and the control computer. A circuit breaker has also been added in the control center, in addition to the one that already exists in the power room.

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

Edit: update info will also be added to first post.

Sweet cake making machine factory thingymagic whatever :D Pun intended.

Thanks! :D The only problem that I have now is that the sugar canes take too long to grow, even with the 138 of them that I have now. Wheat and eggs come in at a very nice pace, but sugar takes a long time so I end up having an excess of wheat and eggs. I could make it so that there are less chickens and the wheat is planted and harvested at a slower rate, but I would rather have the sugar come in at a faster rate.

I could use a condenser to make the sugar as well, but that's kind of "cheating" because it's an ingredient directly involved in the production of cake. I don't mind condensing bone meal, though, because it has a more indirect effect.

Place a Harvest Goddess Band on a DM Pedestal close to the sugar canes, that will help them grow much faster.

Just checked the EE wiki, and apparently they also autoharvest crops when they grow. Does this also apply to sugar canes? If they do then I think I'm better off removing all the block breakers and using a black hole band on a pedestal instead.

Doesnt harvest anything for me, maybe because i have the block breakers activating so often.

Just logged on to check it out. It only autoharvests once the sugar cane reaches 5 blocks high, so there's no problem if the block breakers block the sugar cane from growing further. I'll probably just decrease the delay of the block breakers. Thanks!

Edit: Okay wow, the harvest goddess bands make them grow pretty damn fast. I don't think I need so many sugar canes now.

In the initial post, you said you where on a server. I would love to come and help out! If you would like any help, please don't hesitate to contact me. I'm good with EE so if you need any of that doing, I would be glad to help. I can also make a pretty competent milker, shroomer or dark room. Also, If you let me on, I could make a YouTube video and you I could upload it so you can embed it into this thread maybe?

3 questions and a suggestion;

1. Are you on survival or creative? In 11 days I would say you could do it in survival at a squeeze, but it looks too perfect!

2. Why so many MFSUs? And why in the same room?

3. If you wouldn't want me on the server... Could we please have a world download!?!? THANKS!

Suggestion: A frame quarry! If you want to know hot to make one, search up "Direwolf20" on YouTube then search his channel with the query "Frame Quarry". A suggestion from me though, make it horizontal and underground with the bottom frame at level 12 (1 level above lava).

Thanks!

In the initial post, you said you where on a server. I would love to come and help out! If you would like any help, please don't hesitate to contact me. I'm good with EE so if you need any of that doing, I would be glad to help. I can also make a pretty competent milker, shroomer or dark room. Also, If you let me on, I could make a YouTube video and you I could upload it so you can embed it into this thread maybe?

Hey man, thanks for the offer, but I don't think I need any help for now. Perhaps in a future project? I'm not sure what else I would do, though.

Videos aren't really a problem for me; I make short films now and then so I'm familiar with editing, codecs and the like. I already have a milker that works pretty fast, and I haven't found any need for shroomers or dark rooms on my server yet. If I do need help, I'll be sure to ask you! (:

3 questions and a suggestion;

1. Are you on survival or creative? In 11 days I would say you could do it in survival at a squeeze, but it looks too perfect!

2. Why so many MFSUs? And why in the same room?

3. If you wouldn't want me on the server... Could we please have a world download!?!? THANKS!

1. Part survival, part creative. The first time I make an item, I do it legit. After that, if I need more of that item, I spawn the rest using NEI (I'm a cheater :D). However, if I'm making an upgrade of an item, I start from scratch as well. For example, to make an MV solar array, I make the 8 LV solar arrays legit instead of spawning them. Same goes for HV solar arrays. So it did take me quite a while to get one HV solar array, but I just spawned the rest. Because of the insane amount of materials needed for some items, I got some of my friends to come on and help. Used a condenser to help generate some of the materials as well. So this is more creative than survival, but by creating the first of the item myself it's more of a proof-of-concept (and more Minecrafty because I actually craft shit). Just that doing it legit will take ages. I do use /gm to switch in between creative and survival, with creative mostly to be able to put infinite amounts of an item down and to instantly break blocks when constructing.

2. I didn't build the power room with a set number of MFSUs in mind. I just made a building, then put the MFSUs along the wall. I didn't expect there to be so many. So yes, my planning is pretty bad. Also, with all of them in the same room, it's easier to control the overall flow of power to the systems, and all the underground tunnels are connected so it's easier to navigate and move around.

3. I do have a few concerns about providing a download. The first is people stealing it and claiming it as their own (which I'm sure will happen on some obscure forum...somewhere). The second is that I'm not really satisfied with the quality of the project. My tunnels are ugly and messy, underground wiring is all over the place, I have inefficient redstone algorithms almost everywhere, and basically my planning is absolutely horrible. If I do manage to fix most (or at least, some) of these problems, then I might upload the world. I'm not promising anything, but at the same time I don't want to disappoint people soo...yeah :/

Suggestion: A frame quarry! If you want to know hot to make one, search up "Direwolf20" on YouTube then search his channel with the query "Frame Quarry". A suggestion from me though, make it horizontal and underground with the bottom frame at level 12 (1 level above lava).

Thanks!

I was thinking of experimenting with frames, but if I make it dig horizontally then it might stop working once it moves too far. I'm not exactly sure how chunk loading works, so I could be wrong. I was also thinking of playing with ComputerCraft turtles to help me dig, as they do seem quite efficient. I don't have any definite plans yet, though, so I'll just randomly play around with things for now.

Thanks for the suggestion :D