Mystcraft on Tekkit?

I've just recently started playing around with Mystcraft out of boredom, and I've noticed it seems to have SMP capabilities. Seeing as how Mystcraft appears to be included in Technic 7.2, I was curious if it would work on Tekkit or not.

I don't know much about server modding at all, so I'm not really knowledgeable on how any of that works. I wouldn't know whether Mystcraft's SMP mod is a vanilla server mod or something that could be added to a Bukkit-based server or not, so that's why I figured the best way to find out would be to ask.

If not, no big deal, I'll live without it. But it would be a fun little addition to my server for a couple friends to mess around with, if it works pretty much the same as it does in SSP (if at all).

No. Mystcraft isn't Bukkit compatible which is what the Tekkit server package is built on.

If you want to play Mystcraft with a Tekkit client (+ mystcraft), you'd have to create a vanilla server that includes everything (you want) in Tekkit (install everything into the server.jar and mods folders).

You wouldn't be able to use plugins and such though.

Also, mystcraft sometimes makes EE2 act funky (like disabling the alchemy table after going to a new age; a server restart fixes it).

I got the Forge version of Mystcraft 0.9.1.02 to work with Tekkit 3.1.2 (client and server). Information on how is located at the bottom of page 1 of this thread.

Ah, shame. I was thinking that was probably the case. Oh well, it was worth asking at least. I'm far too lazy for that, and I rather like having Essentials and my creeper heal plugins, so, it's not worth it for me. Thanks for answering though, much appreciated.~

You can, it'll just take some work.

Actually now, I pretty much realized I can't. While you might be able to use MCNostalgia to downgrade the Minecraft.jar client to 1.2.5, if you didn't already have the vanilla server for 1.2.5, I don't believe you can get it -- the current server is now already 1.3.1 as well. Since I didn't have the vanilla server downloaded (I've always used Bukkit), I can't do it. Shame.

Hate to be a necromancer, but, after looking into that website, it would seem that it has been ported. However, upon reading something about it needing a specific "MCPC" version, I'm wondering if Tekkit is using that version of a modded Bukkit client or if it's using CraftBukkit++, or what? Should I just try adding it to the .jar and hope for the best?

Good Luck, this mod isn't made to be SMP friendly and unless Mojang find a way to reduce memory used by each chunk or a miracle is found, it will eat your ram for breakfast, cause each world (or age) that a player is in will have to be kept loaded in memory, do the math, 10 players on 10 age, 10x more memory needed for your server, 10x more lag...

Good Luck, this mod isn't made to be SMP friendly and unless Mojang find a way to reduce memory used by each chunk or a miracle is found, it will eat your ram for breakfast, cause each world (or age) that a player is in will have to be kept loaded in memory, do the math, 10 players on 10 age, 10x more memory needed for your server, 10x more lag...

I've got 4 GB of physical RAM and 8 GB of virtual, not a big deal. I've never had my server use much memory, even with numerous chunk loader blocks near several quarries, a oil refinery, and various redpower creations, including in the End and in the Nether. It does, on the other hand, kill my CPU. But just about everything does that, unfortunately.

So please see if adding it to the jar works I certainly hope it does

Afraid not. I tried adding it, getting an unrecognized error that doesn't even show up in the .log file. Pretty sure it has to do with the MCPC version, and a lot of what I've read on Mystcraft's Bukkit port are users saying to avoid the Tekkit pack. Too bad, I rather like Tekkit, so I suppose I'll go without Mystcraft if I have to choose -- I'm far too lazy to manually add every single mod that Tekkit uses, especially since it means most of my friends may not be able to connect with the Technic launcher.

Afraid not. I tried adding it, getting an unrecognized error that doesn't even show up in the .log file. Pretty sure it has to do with the MCPC version, and a lot of what I've read on Mystcraft's Bukkit port are users saying to avoid the Tekkit pack. Too bad, I rather like Tekkit, so I suppose I'll go without Mystcraft if I have to choose -- I'm far too lazy to manually add every single mod that Tekkit uses, especially since it means most of my friends may not be able to connect with the Technic launcher.

i think that if you install all the server mods manually, have configured all the files to work, resolved all id's, that as long as you got mystcraft to work with tekkit/ssp, they should be able to connect to the server. but its a trying task, i don't blame you

I was going to do another write up like I did with this ( http://forums.technicpack.net/threads/how-to-create-and-use-a-block-id-dump.10289/ ) but I simply can't take another 4 hours of my day doing a Barney-style, by-the-numbers explanation. However, I'll do my best to do a quick write up here that could, at the very least, provide a good starting point for you guys.

Note: I just got Tekkit to work with Mystcraft (and Forestry) and it was relatively easy. Because this thread is dedicated to Mystcraft, I'll just explain what I did. I would like to point out that I simply loaded in and test to see if Mystcraft was working and if I'd get any immediate crashes. I have not tested this long-term nor have I tested it's interaction with mods like EE2 (on vanilla servers, age hopping often disabled the trans table until a server restart). If this breaks your stuff, corrupts your world, or sets your house on fire, it's not my problem. Change your stuff at your own risk.

What I did:

1. Grab the port here: Topic']http://www.mcportcentral.co.za/index.php?topic=3541.0"]Topic%20Bukkit%20Ports%20Listing

2. Do a block id dump and an item id dump on Tekkit client (use the writeup above if you don't know what you're doing).

3. Install Mystcraft Client 0.9.1.02 Forge version into the modpack.jar.

4. Run, generate config file, crash, change block and item ids in the new mystcraft_config.txt file.

Here are the contents of my current Mystcraft config file:

# Configuration file

# Generated on 8/19/12 4:46 PM

####################

# block

####################

block {

block.bookstand.id=131

block.crystal.id=168

block.linkmodifier.id=4090

block.linkportal.id=182

block.receptacle.id=184

block.starfissure.id=180

block.unstable.id=149

block.writingdesk.id=132

}

####################

# entity

####################

entity {

entity.book.id=219

entity.falling.id=218

}

####################

# general

####################

general {

options.ageid.minimum=50

options.decay=true

options.platform.blockid=1

options.renderlabels=true

}

####################

# item

####################

item {

item.agebook.id=200

item.linkbook.id=201

item.notebook.id=203

item.writingdesk.id=202

}

####################

# packet

####################

packet {

packet.activate.id=137

packet.agedata.id=135

packet.falling.id=133

packet.openwindow.id=134

packet.tileentity.id=136

}

####################

# texture

####################

texture {

block.crystal.texture=175

block.unstable.texture=167

}

5. Run and test.

6. Install bukkit port into the tekkit.jar

7. Run, generate config file, crash, change block and item ids in the new mystcraft_config.txt file.

8. Ensure the "Block" area matches the client config.

Contents of my Mystcraft server config file:

# Configuration file

# Generated on 8/19/12 4:47 PM

####################

# block

####################

block {

block.bookstand.id=131

block.crystal.id=168

block.linkmodifier.id=4090

block.linkportal.id=182

block.receptacle.id=184

block.starfissure.id=180

block.unstable.id=149

block.writingdesk.id=132

}

####################

# entity

####################

entity {

entity.book.id=219

entity.falling.id=218

}

####################

# general

####################

general {

options.ageid.minimum=50

options.decay=true

options.platform.blockid=1

options.renderlabels=true

}

####################

# item

####################

item {

item.agebook.id=200

item.linkbook.id=201

item.notebook.id=203

item.writingdesk.id=202

}

####################

# packet

####################

packet {

packet.activate.id=137

packet.agedata.id=135

packet.falling.id=133

packet.openwindow.id=134

packet.tileentity.id=136

}

####################

# texture

####################

texture {

block.crystal.texture=175

block.unstable.texture=167

}

9. Run and test server and client together.

10. On my test, everything showed up in NEI and could be crafted except the Linkbook Stand which doesn't show up in NEI, is craftable, and Unnamed. I also didn't test long enough to find and test anything related to crystals and crystal portals. Once someone tests it, please report back.

Experiment with it and post if you run into bugs or crashes (just so I don't do what you did and wreck my world ;p). If you run into some issues, I can try and help.

@OP, if you want, copy my post into your original post (using the edit function) so people trying to do the same thing can check this out. I would only recommend doing this after a few people tested it and it worked. Also, I'd appreciate it if you'd credit me but mostly I just want people to be able to find this information when searching rather than starting useless threads.

Personally, after I got the client working, I was going to attempt to create a self-modified vanilla server to run Mystcraft and every mod in Tekkit...thank God I tried to do this first.

I'll be testing this later tonight in-depth. If I run into any major problems, I'll post.

Getting an error client side with no block id exceptions "yet" (havent had any pop up in errors yet, but i know there will be since i havent changed any id's yet.)

--- BEGIN ERROR REPORT 323102d9 --------

Generated 8/19/12 8:51 PM

Minecraft: Minecraft 1.2.5

Java: 1.7.0_05, Oracle Corporation

VM: Java HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM (mixed mode), Oracle Corporation

LWJGL: 2.4.2

OpenGL: GeForce GTX 570/PCIe/SSE2 version 4.2.0, NVIDIA Corporation

java.lang.NullPointerException

at cpw.mods.fml.common.modloader.ModLoaderModContainer.init(ModLoaderModContainer.java:356)

at cpw.mods.fml.common.Loader.modInit(Loader.java:273)

at cpw.mods.fml.common.Loader.initializeMods(Loader.java:628)

at cpw.mods.fml.client.FMLClientHandler.onLoadComplete(FMLClientHandler.java:223)

at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.a(Minecraft.java:429)

at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:738)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

--- END ERROR REPORT 43a8cb3b ----------

Edit: NVM i used the forge verson and extracted it to the modpack.jar

Thank you for the config files. would of taken alot longer to get it all right without them. My server is up and running will test tonight =]

Real test would be with around 10-15 players each in their own age exploring it with a swiftwolf rending gale at the same time, if your server doesn't run out of memory in a flash with that, I may consider trying it on my 2gb server to see if 2-3 players could be handled somehow, but I really doubt it.

Yes, you have to use the Forge version of Mystcraft for it to work.

I played it tonight for about 4-6 hours with my GF and noted the following:

As suspected, hopping into another age does breaks the transmutation table requiring a server restart (in order to learn or transmute objects).

I host my server on the same computer I play on and when I entered an age, there was a serious lag spike for about ~5 seconds or so when generating the new world (for myself and for my girlfriend).

The two of us exploring worlds produced no noticeable lag after the initial age generation.

I also noted, it's a great idea to check and ensure I've remembered to craft a linking book before age hopping, ha-ha.

Otherwise, the server runs great with just the two of us.

@Dodge, 10-15 and 2-3 is a very big difference in terms of the server's workload. If you're only running with 2-3, test it with 2-3 (if you really want to stress test it, try 4-5, maybe).

If anyone is trying to host it on a high population server, good luck to them but I only play with a few people so it works well for me.