Tubes to pipes

I am using a filter and can't figure out how to use it. I want to split a cobble generator's output into two. Is there a way to use the filter, or transferring the tubes to pipes the only way to do it.

Incase you were wondering why I would use pipes, pipes, when they have two or more routes, will evenly distribute the items into those routes.

Thanks in advance.

If you put an obsidian pipe above (or beside) the block breaker (or transposer/filter, if you're using tubes on the block breakers), it will just shoot out the output and the obsidian tube will pick it up. You could put the cobblestone into a chest and pump it out with a wooden pipe.

Redpower2 tubes have shortest distance routing. This means that when there is a fork in the tube system, items will go down the shorter of the two paths.

If the path down each fork is the same length, then the items will be split evenly between the two paths. Unlike Buildcraft pipes, where items are sent in a random direction, Redpower2 tube junctions split items exactly evenly between all valid destinations with the shortest path length.

I use this behaviour to build load-balanced systems in the way you've asked for. In this screenshot, the 'T'-shaped tubes in the foreground split items evenly between the left fork and the right fork.

0xVNr.jpg

Incidentally, if you want to transfer items between pipes and tubes, use the Buffer from Immibis' Tubestuff, which is designed for the purpose. (Ejecting items onto an obsidian pipe is the worst way to do this.)

Incidentally, if you want to transfer items between pipes and tubes, use the Buffer from Immibis' Tubestuff, which is designed for the purpose. (Ejecting items onto an obsidian pipe is the worst way to do this.)

Why the "worst way?"

I kinda like it. There are so many blocks in this game that are unnecessary and overly expensive. Obsidian pipes are cheap. If its cheaper and works just as consistently, then it is better, in my book. If you simply encase the item ejection area so nobody accidentally picks them up, it'd be fine.

Depending on your situation and which direction youre transfering, it may be even slightly cheaper to use a simple chest and, say, a redstone engine and lever to convert between.

Why the "worst way?"

I kinda like it. There are so many blocks in this game that are unnecessary and overly expensive. Obsidian pipes are cheap. If its cheaper and works just as consistently, then it is better, in my book. If you simply encase the item ejection area so nobody accidentally picks them up, it'd be fine.

Depending on your situation and which direction youre transfering, it may be even slightly cheaper to use a simple chest and, say, a redstone engine and lever to convert between.

Every time you eject an item, the item entity's physics need to be simulated, proximity checks need to be done to see if any players are near it to pick it up, and so on. All of this costs CPU cycles (especially when done in bulk!) and it's a horrible hack to boot.

Redstone engine item pumps are even worse because they only ever pull one item at a time. You can have a pipeline with hundreds, or thousands of single items travelling down it - very slowly, if you're too cheap or lazy to use golden pipes to speed the process. It's gotten to the point where I have had to ban redstone engines on my server due to lag from BC pipe systems full of single items.

Use the Tubestuff Buffer. It's good for you. The recipe can be looked up in the NEI recipe viewer (in game.)