Recoding Factions.

So hello everyone on Technic Forums, as many people running Tekkit server's seem to be running Factions, just like myself I am running Factions, I am wondering, if anyone would like to join me and Decompile Factions and recode it as at the moment, Crystal Chests/All other chests, and all of Tekkit items are not safe in claimed land, this should be a rather easy job if anyone would like to join me on this.

This is not a virus, I can post virus scans if you would like so, and I took the source code from Factions and edited it, I did not create Factions 2.0 as such, I just edited it allowing Factions to allow protection over Tekkit items.

What is this? Are you trying to give us a virus? Did you know how long it took the developer of the Faction plugin to produce the plugin? How could one just make a new Faction plugin made for Tekkit in less than a day or so?

More to the point, why didn't you contact the plugin's author and ask about Tekkit compatibility patches?

It's open source...It was just easier to take the source and edit it, rather than contacting MassiveCraft and asking for patches.

Right you are.

However, since it's on Github, surely the better way to release your custom version would be as a Github fork? This would let us see what changes you made (plus, if your changes are any good, they might be pulled back into the main branch of the Factions plugin.)

Right you are.

However, since it's on Github, surely the better way to release your custom version would be as a Github fork? This would let us see what changes you made (plus, if your changes are any good, they might be pulled back into the main branch of the Factions plugin.)

Then I shall look into releasing it as a Github fork. I was just simply doing this as it might have been faster. But now because of you two, I have now contacted the owner of MassiveCraft asking for permission to release this file, and until I get a reply, I will not release it due to people thinking it's virus' even with links provided of scans.

Then I shall look into releasing it as a Github fork. I was just simply doing this as it might have been faster. But now because of you two, I have now contacted the owner of MassiveCraft asking for permission to release this file, and until I get a reply, I will not release it due to people thinking it's virus' even with links provided of scans.

As above, no permission is needed - the LGPL license grants you the right to modify and redistribute modified versions as you see fit, so long as you follow the terms of the LGPL license.

My point about asking for patches instead of forking your own version was more to do with benefiting the maximum number of people. If your changes are pulled into the main branch of the Factions code, then that benefits everyone (not just the people who happen to find your special, custom version.)

I didn't intend to imply that what you were doing was actually wrong in a legal or ethical sense.

My $0.02.

As above, no permission is needed - the LGPL license grants you the right to modify and redistribute modified versions as you see fit, so long as you follow the terms of the LGPL license.

My point about asking for patches instead of forking your own version was more to do with benefiting the maximum number of people. If your changes are pulled into the main branch of the Factions code, then that benefits everyone (not just the people who happen to find your special, custom version.)

I didn't intend to imply that what you were doing was actually wrong in a legal or ethical sense.

My $0.02.

My mistake, I thought you was trying to pin this on me saying that what I did was unethical and shouldn't be allowed without any kind of permission. I do understand where you're coming from with forking it on Github, I also still have to Ticket submitted to MassiveCraft asking about maybe accepting my patch for Tekkit, so untill they reply, I think I'll just release it here, until I get a reply back from them, then tomorrow I'll fork it on Github.

Okay considering nobody was willing to help me on this, it took longer than I expected. I have recoded Factions so that it protects all Tekkit items within Faction territory, if you would like this then either PM me or reply here.

Hello, i need that plugin please :) does the new version of faction fix this bug 1.7.6 ????