Computer Hacking Issues

Abysinian

Hi there,

I've been running my public Tekkit Server for a week or two now with decent success, however I've found out the hard way that terminals seem very easy to hack into, even when hidden which confuses me.

I began with backing my startups onto floppys so I can just copy them back on to the computers if something happens and now I've password protected them, but I found that someone had managed to get on one today, luckily I was able to ban them before they did any damage.

What I'd like to know is how people are managing to get onto hidden terminals and how to stop them (if that's even possible), without disabling computercraft. The computers are in the spawn which doesn't allow people to place or break blocks etc, but they're still managing to get on them.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Andy.

You can stop a program with Ctrl-T

To prevent this add

os.pullEvent = os.pullEventRaw

to the first line of your program :)

This is the recommended way of stopping people from hacking your computer.

If you use WorldGuard and AlienX's fix, you can add the computer block ID to /plugins/WorldGuard/tekkify.yml. Then just create a region around the computer and no one should be able to access it.

What would be the point of a computer password then? might as well just have a protected push button which no-one can access, but the player who created it.

What would be the point of a computer password then? might as well just have a protected push button which no-one can access, but the player who created it.

You wouldn't need the password. I was guessing it would be for something like spawn which would already have a region covering it.

os.pullEvent = os.pullEventRaw is not viable in some situations.

I would recommend having a computer with os.pullEvent = os.pullEventRaw that simply sends whatever characters the user enters to the computer actually doing the work (via a modem). This way, even if they hack your input computer, it doesn't actually do anything since the main program isn't stored there.

os.pullEvent = os.pullEventRaw is not viable in some situations.

I would recommend having a computer with os.pullEvent = os.pullEventRaw that simply sends whatever characters the user enters to the computer actually doing the work (via a modem). This way, even if they hack your input computer, it doesn't actually do anything since the main program isn't stored there.

I didn't know about that trick. I normally do a double startup. Like, startup A goes on a loop calling startup B infinitely so if startup B were to be terminated, startup A would just start it up again.