Easily find which mod causes lag!

matejdro

I have just found about little feature that is present in the last builds of MCPC: http://www.mcportcentral.co.za/index.php?topic=3161.0

You just type /modtiming start and after 5 minutes use /modtiming show to display how much server tick is each mod using.

For example on our server, wireless redstone causes 80% of server usage for some reason. We will remove it as soon possible.

I have just found about little feature that is present in the last builds of MCPC: http://www.mcportcentral.co.za/index.php?topic=3161.0

You just type /modtiming start and after 5 minutes use /modtiming show to display how much server tick is each mod using.

For example on our server, wireless redstone causes 80% of server usage for some reason. We will remove it as soon possible.

Lolwut? Wireless Redstone? I already had to triangulators because they crash and then everything dependent on them, which is half the fun of that mod... I better download this and run it. Thanks for the heads up, matejdro.

I don't think this is very useful, actually.

It told me wireless redstone was 80% of my total CPU also.

I uninstalled it, server CPU usage didn't go down. Now immibis dimensional anchor is 80% of CPU.

I uninstalled dimensional anchors, server CPU went down about 10%, from 95% to around 85%, but now a bunch of things are all using 20 - 30% of total CPU.

I think these results are not as cut-and-dried as I might have hoped for.

I don't think this is very useful, actually.

It told me wireless redstone was 80% of my total CPU also.

I uninstalled it, server CPU usage didn't go down. Now immibis dimensional anchor is 80% of CPU.

I uninstalled dimensional anchors, server CPU went down about 10%, from 95% to around 85%, but now a bunch of things are all using 20 - 30% of total CPU.

I think these results are not as cut-and-dried as I might have hoped for.

I got:

1. mod_WirelessRedstoneAddons.modTickEnd with 80.80%
  2. modTickEnd with 15.90%
  3. modTickStart with 1.10%

The rest are all less than 1%. Dafuq? Maybe someone who actually knows how this works internally can explain it to us... I can't believe Wireless Redstone uses more than MFFS which got 0.01%. o_O

It seems the most cpu intensive mod is given a high number and the others are given arbitrarily low numbers. I do not doubt that this plugin is somewhat useful, but it seems the percentages are grossly inflated/ depreciated.

Also it's not a plugin. I tried to download it but it turns out it's built into Bukkit. XD

This may simply be a situation where a mod is set up to take unused cycles for some purpose - e.g. the wireless redstone mod may take unused cycles to listen for wireless transmissions in realtime (rather than processing a transmission queue whenever it has priority). It's difficult to know for certain without knowing a mod's implementation details, but it's not an uncommon practice in other server applications (non-Minecraft related).

In a similar vein, modtiming may be reporting idle time as belonging to the last mod active to forcibly display 100% utilization -- when it really ought to be reporting idle time separately. This would be a 'bug' (rather, an unimplemented but necessary feature) within modtiming itself.

It would be helpful if people could post their logs if they're seeing bizarre results from modtiming so that we can get a better idea of what's going on.