Is the Secret Rooms mod ever going to be added to Tekkit?

Santib

I've managed to install it and it works but not at 100%, some blocks are invisible on SMP and don't work really well sometimes the author knows about it but he's working on 1.3.2 version so won't have any new version for 1.2.5 for now, can I suggest you to take a look at secretswitch bukkit plugin, really a nice tool to hide button and lever (switch) quickly, be advised that this mod require at least a piece of regular redstone to work, the rest of the circuit could be made with red alloy wire and it works #1 with all the nifty stuff from RP2, it won't protect you from hacked clients that can see all the chests like an xray mod, but will protect you from basic noob griefers somehow.

Hey there,

I've got a question regarding the installation for this. I'm having trouble making it Tekkit compatible, since all the IDs are clashing with RedPower IDs. Now if I edit all the IDs for RedPower, I run into the trouble of having to change the IDs for a lot of other mods. You see, when I edit one ID, it conflicts with yet another mod that was using that ID again, so what I'd rather do is edit the IDs as defined in SecretRooms mod; however, I'd need to somehow decompile and open the .class files to do this. How did you make your packs compatible to your Tekkit? I've edited the ID values of the client and server already, so that there are no more severe ID conflict errors. However, some RedPower blocks appear as stone blocks in-game, and I noticed this was because the server and client were for some reason using two different IDs for the same blocks. Now when I try to match those up correctly, I get the beforementioned problem, so ideally, I would just edit the .class files. Is this what you did? Thanks for the effort.

Secret rooms is an inappropriate mod for any actual protection. It is a fun toy to play with, but not a protection plugin.

There are only two ways to ever actually protect a region in Minecraft SMP:

1) Have some mod (like WG or factions) that actively denies players the ability to place blocks or do other things in a region. Unfortunately, like you said, these can break pretty easily when mods come up with new ways to place blocks they haven't though of.

2) Hide the region by not ever even sending any information about it to the client in the first place. I'm not talking about secret buttons. I'm talking about something like a plugin that literally sends packets to the client that do not include the room at all, but instead have data that just tells the client there is blank stone there. So no matter what x-ray or anything you have, you will not see the room. And then only when you approach, does the server send you the actual data. As far as I am aware, no such plugin exists, although it is possible for it to.

Anything else WILL fail when somebody uses a special texture pack, x-ray mod, etc. Therefore, the only reason to include this mod in tekkit would be for the cuteness factor. And personally, I don't think it's really all that cute, meh.

Nope, just change the IDs of the SecretRoomMod.prop file in your config folder, here are mine, they work fine and you don't have to change any RP2 ID, this cause a load of troubles if you change RP2 ID for some reason, better change the conflicting ID from the new mod you're trying to install rather than the one that is already working fine in Tekkit :

camoButtonBlock=938

camoIronDoor=934

camoLeverBlock=936

camoPlateAllBlock=939

camoPlatePlayerBlock=940

camoRedstoneBlock=937

camoTrapDoor=932

camoWoodDoor=933

ghostBlock=942

oneWay=943

shelfButton=944

shelfCurrent=945

shelfGate=941

shelfGateExt=931

shelfLever=925

torchLever=946

That's the problem. When running my server, it doesn't create a .prop file serverside, because it breaks down before it gets to that stage. When I copy over the .prop file from my clientside counterpart (which does initialise succesfully), nothing signifficant happens and the mod still crashes, telling me its ID is already in use. It's like it's never even using the config file.

Maybe the mod location is wrong? I put it in the mods folder next to my server executable and put the transplanted config file in the config folder. Thanks for your help.

Alright, I've gone through the matter and after a lot of bugfixes I've got it to work.

What you do is you first load the mod into the server by placing the Bukkit Port .zip file (http://www.mcportcentral.co.za/index.php?topic=3502.msg19134#msg19134) in your server's mods folder. This will create a config file, just not in the config folder! Instead, it's placed in the same location your server is in, so that's one folder up from the mods folder, and it's named 'SecretRoomsMod.cfg'. Edit all the IDs with the values that Dodge34 noted two posts above and then run the server to check whether there are no errors. Once it's all ok server-side, you'll want to patch the client. Locate the mods folder for your client (mine is, and I think that's default, here: 'C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\.techniclauncher\tekkit\'). Place the Single Player Client Mod (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/546192-132secretroomsmodsmpbukkit-hidden-pressure-plates/) in the mods folder. Now run Tekkit. As soon as it tries to run and goes past the loading screen, you will get errors detailing a conflict in IDs. This is ok. The mod has now made a configuration file in the config folder in your .techniclauncher directory, in 'C:\(...)\.techniclauncher\tekkit\config\' and it is named 'SecretRoomsMod.prop'. Copy and paste over the IDs you added server-side and you will now be able to join the server succesfully.

However, there are a few things I should note: some blocks seem to crash the client, as I couldn't add a Secret Wooden Door, for example. Also, the lighting on the Ghost Blocks is off; they always display lighter than the surrounding blocks, even in complete darkness. This makes them very easy to spot, and while that in itself is sad, at least they work. I will test some more to see what does and doesn't work, but the basics of the mod are there.

Good luck configuring and have fun!

EDIT I:

The Wooden Door was actually placed even though the client crashed. However, the texture doesn't adapt correctly to the Sphax texturepack I'm using. The Iron Door has the same problem; the client crashes upon placing it, but it is placed and functional. I'll test more blocks and maybe post a list of what does and doesn't work correctly.

I had no crash to report with all of the doors there, but if you create hidden button or lever and you place redstone or red alloy wire next to it, the block became invisible, making these most awesome part of secretroommod totally useless. But the torch lever works #1...

• 1 month later...

Hi, I currently have a Tekkit server running with the addition of Mystcraft and the Secret Rooms mod but there is a problem, when I left click any of the blocks pertaining to the Secret Rooms mod they break instantly almost like if they were a piece of grass and sometimes I don't even get the block back.

I'm not sure if this is where I should be asking but I cant seem to find a bug list for this mod

Secret rooms is an inappropriate mod for any actual protection. It is a fun toy to play with, but not a protection plugin.

There are only two ways to ever actually protect a region in Minecraft SMP:

1) Have some mod (like WG or factions) that actively denies players the ability to place blocks or do other things in a region. Unfortunately, like you said, these can break pretty easily when mods come up with new ways to place blocks they haven't though of.

2) Hide the region by not ever even sending any information about it to the client in the first place. I'm not talking about secret buttons. I'm talking about something like a plugin that literally sends packets to the client that do not include the room at all, but instead have data that just tells the client there is blank stone there. So no matter what x-ray or anything you have, you will not see the room. And then only when you approach, does the server send you the actual data. As far as I am aware, no such plugin exists, although it is possible for it to.

Anything else WILL fail when somebody uses a special texture pack, x-ray mod, etc. Therefore, the only reason to include this mod in tekkit would be for the cuteness factor. And personally, I don't think it's really all that cute, meh.

Actually, Orebfuscator does this exactly. It basically sends the client a jumbled mess of ores, stone and wood instead of whatever's underground, as long as they can't see it. Yes, this can cause problems. Yes, you CAN alter it so no "glitches" happen.