Question on the definition of 'Backseat Modding'

Nethaufer

So I've seen people recently having all kinds of unfortunate stuff happening to them because they are backseat modding.

I'm kinda getting worried, because I normally reply to posts not in the right spot by directing them to the right area, and I don't want to be one of those people who gets in trouble for it.

So if one of the mods could clarify what is okay to do and what isn't okay to do so that they don't wind up getting punished. Like is it okay to point people to the right thread, is it okay to tell them to search the forum, stuff like that.

So I've seen people recently having all kinds of unfortunate stuff happening to them because they are backseat modding.

I'm kinda getting worried, because I normally reply to posts not in the right spot by directing them to the right area, and I don't want to be one of those people who gets in trouble for it.

So if one of the mods could clarify what is okay to do and what isn't okay to do so that they don't wind up getting punished. Like is it okay to point people to the right thread, is it okay to tell them to search the forum, stuff like that.

I define backseat modding as passively-agressively pointing out that a post breaks a rule. Directing people to another topic isn't something I'd Hellen Kellen someone for.

From how simpleguy explained it in a PM this is okay:

"Hey dude, please read <rules link> you just broke a couple of them."

This is not:

"You are a Doofus, you are going to get kellered so fast your head will spin."

Basically it is acting like your name is in blue (or red or green) and you are in charge of dishing out the punishment. Likely just mention the infractions not the punishment, for example, i got kellered for it for saying "You will get a pink name because..." which sounds like I am going to give then punishment.

Oops. Looks like I'm guilty to some extent if that's the case. Apologies, I'm more accustomed to looser standards that include a lot more room within the range generally accepted as "If you're not annoying about it..." And I'm generally more jesting about it than most, I suppose. You're all rather strict around here, honestly. (Note that that's an observation rather than a complaint. And please don't bash my face in too badly.)

Oops. Looks like I'm guilty to some extent if that's the case. Apologies, I'm more accustomed to looser standards that include a lot more room within the range generally accepted as "If you're not annoying about it..." And I'm generally more jesting about it than most, I suppose. You're all rather strict around here, honestly. (Note that that's an observation rather than a complaint. And please don't bash my face in too badly.)

I used to be nice. Waaaaaay back when we had a tumbler. but having the same questions asked SO OFTEN, turned me into a big spiny reagemonster full of hate and disgust and an odd love of ponies.

I used to be nice. Waaaaaay back when we had a tumbler. but having the same questions asked SO OFTEN, turned me into a big spiny reagemonster full of hate and disgust
He who fights monsters should take care that he not become one, it's said. I've gotten bitter when exposed consistently to things I dislike, but I'd like to think I've yet to become a metaphorical monster and hopefully never will.

and an odd love of ponies.
Well, that's probably more because of the "tumblr" part of the equation. Regardless, /) ?

We're brutally strict because we need to be, especially if you compare 'competing' forums.

On that subject, i have to admit how grateful i am for that. Before technic got forums, I had to go to MCForums for relevant talk about the mods.

I've almost made a full recovery now.

Understandable, Kaker.

It's a shame, how many of those "competitors" have turned out, really. Even more so because this "community cancer" could be easily corrected in short order and likely with few simple countermeasures. It's not like, say, the infamous "cancer that is* killing ..." where there was a massive and sudden inflow of unwanted content and generators of unwanted content, on top of very little staff throughout the largest and most famous affected area and all of the affected areas in general to deal with the problem and no (major) "social chain" -- which would allow major players to have massive sway -- to speak of due to the nature of the entire community. The problem here is very easily dealt with, throughout the greater community, with as little as the will to do so at some higher levels of the "pecking order" at the start. Just that much could easily snowball.

*Was? I haven't been keeping up with that part of the internet for a great, great while. I know the Anonymous of infamy -- hackers on steroids and such, not just any random anonymous poster of the designated areas -- is still around, but where I couldn't easily guess. Not that it's relevant here except as a comparison.

Understandable, Kaker.

It's a shame, how many of those "competitors" have turned out, really. Even more so because this "community cancer" could be easily corrected in short order and likely with few simple countermeasures. It's not like, say, the infamous "cancer that is* killing ..." where there was a massive and sudden inflow of unwanted content and generators of unwanted content, on top of very little staff throughout the largest and most famous affected area and all of the affected areas in general to deal with the problem and no (major) "social chain" -- which would allow major players to have massive sway -- to speak of due to the nature of the entire community. The problem here is very easily dealt with, throughout the greater community, with as little as the will to do so at some higher levels of the "pecking order" at the start. Just that much could easily snowball.

*Was? I haven't been keeping up with that part of the internet for a great, great while. I know the Anonymous of infamy -- hackers on steroids and such, not just any random anonymous poster of the designated areas -- is still around, but where I couldn't easily guess. Not that it's relevant here except as a comparison.

Anonymous seems to be a few good hackers with a legion of script kiddies. Most the power they have is the fact everyone who follows them can install a program on a computer that lets packet flow be directed via an IRC channel. They do still exist, currently an FBI mole has managed to bust a few of them. (I did some study of them and the /i/sergancy in my freetime on day)

It is sad that the other forums are pretty badly decayed. The major problem I had with MCF (and kinda now Yogcast forums) is no one seems to read and thinks they no one else has ever had their problems and can't bother to read at least the last two pages before making a post, I hate having to type the same thing over and over. Of course then the help get buried and then someone whines "Why is no one helping us?". Just kinda feels like most forums run on sort of a chaos where as long as you curse or say anything too offensive you get free reign to do whatever. Plus this place has no real e-peen measuring system (like account levels or post counts) so I can actually post fixes without worrying about looking like one of those lowly people that tricks noobs into downloading stuff to steal information. (Oh how I hate jerks like that.)

I actually do find myself liking the strictness here. It feels like you can actually have intelligent discussions and provide decent tech support for the pack rather then just being the chaos of other places. Plus it's not no fun, stick up your bum strict here, as long as you obey the rules and all. Plus as long as you do nothing majorly rule breaking you just get a pink name, the title hellen keller, and some witty comment from the mod dealing out the punishment.

Passive aggressiveness is pretty much what I look for. As long as you're not being a smug dick about correcting people, or acting like you have some kind of authority when you're just a standard member.

The only people who have any grounds to act like smug dicks are the moderation staff.

From how simpleguy explained it in a PM this is okay:

"Hey dude, please read <rules link> you just broke a couple of them."

This is not:

"You are a Doofus, you are going to get kellered so fast your head will spin."

Basically it is acting like your name is in blue (or red or green) and you are in charge of dishing out the punishment. Likely just mention the infractions not the punishment, for example, i got kellered for it for saying "You will get a pink name because..." which sounds like I am going to give then punishment.

I can vouch for sending the PM and how linkthegamer has grown on it. :)

It's OK to let people know that they're in danger of punishment, and point out rules if need be. If you're in doubt about whether a post is backseat modding, try to phrase it so you're informative, not instructive.