Well that was a waste of time....

Spend DAYS building a rather damn amazing fully automated reactor, warehouse, rail layout etc.... all wired up with bundled cables ready for some serious computercraft programming to control it all.

Made my first test routine... check a button input, and if yes - light a lamp.

The computer instantly crashed due to processor load and now every time I run the 10 line program, it lags the laptop so badly its unplayable.

Also, I can no longer exit Tekkit without it freezing at the saving blocks page.

Is computercraft really that processor heavy?

I have 6 computers in my build, all awaiting programming.

This Java platform really isn't that great for graphic heavy games is it.

Looks like this build may have come to an end

As an edit... I was considering getting myself a gaming PC, just so that I could carry on with these graphic intensive Tekkit projects. But... will it ever be lag free? Is it a limit of the actual programming of Technic/Tekkit, or purely down to my laptop just not being fast enough (which I always knew it wasn't).

For instance, my frame motor based sliding doors... basically disappear when operated and re-appear when they get to the end. Is that always going to be the case, or would a better graphics card actually show the doors sliding?

Would a quad core i7 Intel based system with a decent graphics card + 8Gb memory enable me to basically build what I wanted?

Last thing I want to do is batter 1k on a gaming PC to find it was the game that could not handle what I am asking of it.

Anyone with a decent PC... please let me know!

Spend DAYS building a rather damn amazing fully automated reactor, warehouse, rail layout etc.... all wired up with bundled cables ready for some serious computercraft programming to control it all.

Made my first test routine... check a button input, and if yes - light a lamp.

The computer instantly crashed due to processor load and now every time I run the 10 line program, it lags the laptop so badly its unplayable.

Also, I can no longer exit Tekkit without it freezing at the saving blocks page.

Is computercraft really that processor heavy?

I have 6 computers in my build, all awaiting programming.

This Java platform really isn't that great for graphic heavy games is it.

Looks like this build may have come to an end

As an edit... I was considering getting myself a gaming PC, just so that I could carry on with these graphic intensive Tekkit projects. But... will it ever be lag free? Is it a limit of the actual programming of Technic/Tekkit, or purely down to my laptop just not being fast enough (which I always knew it wasn't).

For instance, my frame motor based sliding doors... basically disappear when operated and re-appear when they get to the end. Is that always going to be the case, or would a better graphics card actually show the doors sliding?

Would a quad core i7 Intel based system with a decent graphics card + 8Gb memory enable me to basically build what I wanted?

Last thing I want to do is batter 1k on a gaming PC to find it was the game that could not handle what I am asking of it.

Anyone with a decent PC... please let me know!

You're doing something wrong. Also, don't play Tekkit in singleplayer. Either set up a private server or download Technic. Tekkit is designed and guaranteed for multiplayer use only and there are many known bugs in singleplayer.

I have a localhost server setup that I play with my son, but this large build is in single player Tekkit (I didn't know it had issues) .

So, is there any way of getting this single player world to be the localhost world?

If I have to start my world all over again..... YET again, I am gonna give up.

Thanks DarthMoogle. Just got to work out how the hell to do that.

If you shouldn't really do single player Tekkit, why the hell is single player in the launcher? What is wrong with single player Tekkit anyway?

Technic just doesn't have the same stuff in it that I am used to working with

edit..

OK. Made a Tekkit server (copied the one I had). Deleted all the world folder files in it (nether, end etc). Edited the properties folder to the name of my world I want to transfer over from single player.

Copy/pasted the save folder of the single player world into the server folder

Even put the seed of the single player map in the properties file.

Nothing. I just get a new map with no sign of anything I know (house not at at known co-ords)

Ideas?

Find your world dave in the .techniclauncher\tekkit folders, rename the folder to world and replace the world folder in the server you play with your son or a second server.

EDIT: Or just paste your SSP world in the base folder of your server and change the default world name in the server.properties file

The save folder carried over is called simply 'Steves_tekkit_world". There are no spaces.

It doesn't work with or without the seed number in the properties file.

When you run the server, it doesn't make any new files, so I would assume it is fine using the file that have been installed.

Odd

OK. Nearly there . Deleted everything and started again.

Got the world in - found my build.

Only error the server constantly throws up is ' error loading railcraft save data: Not in GZIP format'.

What is that about?

The rails 'appear' to be in place (perhaps I have lost all the blocks?)

How do I stop that error constantly scrolling down the server window?