City of Heroes shutting down

Neowulf

http://games.slashdot.org/story/12/08/31/2040222/ncsoft-closes-city-of-heroes-publisher-paragon-studios

This saddens me. I played for 6 years, from day 1 till I finally completely burned myself out from it.

I was one of first proponents of stacked flightspeed hover in combat. Vindicated when they nerfed the travel powers.

One of the first true alt-aholics, going the entire first year without reaching lvl 20 because I kept rerolling characters...

I was in the Villains beta, and still hold a grudge against Backalley brawler for coldly executing my poor little bot mastermind as she tried to flee the "Hero's" brutal assault on our home.

Sad to lose such an epic game, it will be missed.

I give it one week before someone has a decent private server up and playable. I only ever played the game for a few minutes, but i loved the flexibility of the character creation system. It was almost as free as the original Mutants and Masterminds.

I am sad to see it go as well. while I didn't play as long as neowulf, I did play for a few years (maybe 4 in total?). it was a great game with great players. it was also the first time I had maxed a character in an MMO. turns out, kinetics defenders are really, really good. I ran more respec trials than I care to count. I buffed the blasters placing land mines for wolf herding. I farmed CoT portals. I was also there for the creation of the "kill skuls" meme which later became a badge. being a player on justice, I was also around for the amazing "jerk hackers dupin rares" thread, which is probably still stickied in the justice server subforum right now. what I'm trying to say is that it was a game I really liked and will always remember fondly.

the people that I still sit around on ventrillo with to this day are people I met in my CoH supergroup. we've known eachother for like 8 years now give or take and I've even had the pleasure of meeting one of them in person, which I never thought I would do. he'll be attending my wedding next year as well, which is even more weird. the game didn't have the most amazing mechanics, or the least grindy gameplay or anything. what it did have though was a fantastic community of really great people. no other MMO since has managed to create a player base nearly as friendly, enjoyable, and mature.

Said a whole bunch of stuff

That sounds really awesome. I had a similar experience with Underlight, and briefly with it's fan run, post server shutdown version, Shards of truth.

Maybe with some luck CoH will have a decent post-shutdown community as well.

I keep meaning to go back and revisit it to see how everything is...

oh, I almost forgot to mention the one thing I did regarding CoH that might ring bells for people. I made a video where I took a short clip of the CoV trailer, and put the "alright chums I'm back, let's do this. leeeeeeroooyyy jeeennnkkiiiinnnsss" clip over it. in fact, here's a link to the copy I still have hosted. one of my first forays into video editing.

edit: and if anyone wonders why I'm not just linking a youtube clip, youtube wasn't a thing at the time. I'll upload it if anyone really cares THAT much. though I'm sure someone else has already done so, based on the continued traffic the file has gotten over the years

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had a great time with it for the few months I played. Was just too repetitive to survive. Never really felt like a hero. You never really saved anyone unique or important or cared about defending anything. Just beat up hoards of identical idiots in the same locations over and over. All I cared about was SUPER JUMP maxed as much as possible. That's what made me keep crawling back.

Had a great time with it for the few months I played. Was just too repetitive to survive. Never really felt like a hero. You never really saved anyone unique or important or cared about defending anything. Just beat up hoards of identical idiots in the same locations over and over. All I cared about was SUPER JUMP maxed as much as possible. That's what made me keep crawling back.

honestly, they took a lot of the stuff out of the game that made you feel "heroic". you used to be able to herd up ridiculous groups of mobs, tank them, and kill them all. you felt like a badass doing that.

they sorta added that back in way later with their version of end game raids called incarnate trials and the powers you could gain from doing those trials. however, at lower levels you really don't do too much that is super awesome and makes you feel like a real important hero. some of the story arcs are cool, but I don't think anyone even did those once the newspaper/police scanner came out.