Ip address.

Kyle2Boss

Hello! Me and my bro are trying to set up our own tekkit server. Except, i can't get him to join. I've tried all the ip's in the "CMD" commands. usually because were on the same network, i don't have to portforward. we always just use the IPV4 adress or just the default gateway. is there anything else i would have to do?

A couple clarifications, but no real solution i believe: "localhost" is a literal local, it must be running on the same machine. Even inside your own network, you have to port forward, especially if he is trying to use your global address. Also: is your brother using the "ip:port" format or just "ip", try the opposite and see if that helps.

Yes, We are literally inside the same room. I'll try the ping thing in a sec, Johnathen, we used to be able just to use the ip and connect, but now i don't know, i'll also check my firewall.

*EDIT*

I tried doing the cmd ping, but i really didn't understand the jibberish it was saying, it was saying somthing about <IPV4 Only>

Yes, We are literally inside the same room. I'll try the ping thing in a sec, Johnathen, we used to be able just to use the ip and connect, but now i don't know, i'll also check my firewall.

*EDIT*

I tried doing the cmd ping, but i really didn't understand the jibberish it was saying, it was saying somthing about <IPV4 Only>

if you don't understand it, it may be worthwhile to copy it here for us to see. generally: there's a lot of worthless junk in the output. the IPV4 only probably just means your computer doesn't support anything above v4, this should be fine.

Why do i find my port?

if you mean how do you find your port, it should be in the server configuration file. The default is 25565. If you truely mean why: it's to tell the connecting person where to talk to the computer at. for instance: source engine games like to use 25525, and lower-level things like to use port 8 or something. it just makes sure you don't connect to the wrong program/computer