Looking for opinions

Joe50

So Ive heard a lot about the technicpack having or not having permission for the mods they use and many good (and bad) threads on different forums, some with legitimate proof that the mod authors did or did not give permission to use their mods. So I wanted to get your opinions on this, Ill probably post similar threads on other forums too. I will not take any side until I am certain that you do, or do not have permission. Please dont just say "they do" or "they dont" support your opinion.

All the mod creators have to do is ask, and the Technic Team will remove the mod. The reason the mods are what they are is because they allow the Technic Team to use them. The mod makers seem to like that donation section on the site since they make more money off that than they ever will with Adfly. Only the admins can give you physical proof, since they have more knowledge of this 'permissions' stuff than I do. Well, anyway, I am going to go cry in a corner as I eat ice-cream while watching Twilight.

Well, anyway, I am going to go cry in a corner as I eat ice-cream while watching Twilight.

The question is, do you cry because you're watching Twilight, or you started to watch Twilight to give a reason to your already present crying?

On topic, pretty much what Pulse said.

Forestry is a bad example of how it's done, but indeed, all the mod creator's has to do is ask to have his mod removed.

All the mod creators have to do is ask, and the Technic Team will remove the mod. The reason the mods are what they are is because they allow the Technic Team to use them. The mod makers seem to like that donation section on the site since they make more money off that than they ever will with Adfly. Only the admins can give you physical proof, since they have more knowledge of this 'permissions' stuff than I do. Well, anyway, I am going to go cry in a corner as I eat ice-cream while watching Twilight.
Multiple authors have asked for their mods to be removed, I only know of sengir and covertjaguar right now but Im sure I could quickly google a few more, forestry was not removed when he asked so sengir added some code to prevent it from being able to be run in technicpack. Railcraft still hasnt been removed and a technic admin said the same thing about donations, a mod author said "Still waiting for the outpouring donations too. All I've gotten so far is clueless Technic users looking for support." and actually the admins have given written proof that they do not have permission, a technic admin said "We don't ask permission, we still don't. The permission has been given to us through various means, usually after people find out that we aren't assholes and that we truly and honestly love the mods and appreciate the creators. The reason we don't bother saying anything about it (usually) is because we don't want to cause drama between the modders themselves if we can help it. " Starting to think of scrapping this post and putting it in a less biased environment

Multiple authors have asked for their mods to be removed, I only know of sengir and covertjaguar right now but Im sure I could quickly google a few more, forestry was not removed when he asked so sengir added some code to prevent it from being able to be run in technicpack. Railcraft still hasnt been removed and a technic admin said the same thing about donations, a mod author said "Still waiting for the outpouring donations too. All I've gotten so far is clueless Technic users looking for support." and actually the admins have given written proof that they do not have permission, a technic admin said "We don't ask permission, we still don't. The permission has been given to us through various means, usually after people find out that we aren't assholes and that we truly and honestly love the mods and appreciate the creators. The reason we don't bother saying anything about it (usually) is because we don't want to cause drama between the modders themselves if we can help it. " Starting to think of scrapping this post and putting it in a less biased environment

I am sorry, but I personally find that the most biased here is you.

Sengir didn't make so Forestry didn't work with Technic, he literally made so that the mod would automatically grief the user's worlds with explosive bees, without any warning sign. He attacked the end user on an issue that didn't concern them which is absolutely unacceptable. Plus, he didn't ask it to be removed before, he went and added the malicious code without warning. Plus, I heard the malicious code touched people who weren't using the pack, but simply playing with a similar configuration of mods. Also, notice that he didn't remove the code from the mod, he simply commented or disabled it, so he could re-activate it anytime. Also, I wouldn't recommend you to remove this thread, because here is the only place you're going to find anything like an unbiased opinion on this matter. That is, if admins decide to leave it, since we've already had a few threads on this very subject.

So Ive heard a lot about the technicpack having or not having permission for the mods they use and many good (and bad) threads on different forums, some with legitimate proof that the mod authors did or did not give permission to use their mods. So I wanted to get your opinions on this, Ill probably post similar threads on other forums too. I will not take any side until I am certain that you do, or do not have permission. Please dont just say "they do" or "they dont" support your opinion.

Sorry, what? There are no 'sides.'

We have permissions for most (If not all) mods now - our administration is working on relationships with the modders and it has improved so drastically some modders are now considering unique support for the Technic Pack - other modders got into it because of the Technic Pack.

And even if there were 'sides,' I'm sorry, but anyone who looks at it that way to begin with is unanimously an asshat who 'takes the other side' immediately. If you want to know the real truth, we have an archived thread somewhere where we all had a civil sitdown with a modder or two and slowpoke. That's my evidence for everything I've said here, and I can't be bothered to cite it becuase 1) You're a big boy/girl, you can find it yourself and B) I'm fucking tired, grouchy, and lazy.

Other than that, I'd like to tell you as much as I know: We have what permissions we have right now. The Technic devs are working with modders to improve things and get a strong camaraderie going. Things are supposedly going very well, although I really haven't bothered to keep up-to-date simply because I don't care.

Here's the bottom line: TechnicPack exists, not for the benefit of KakerMix and Cheapshot but for the benefit of the players and the mod authors. Hosting 2 TB worth of data pull a day (2 TB bandwidth/day!) out of their own pockets, allowing those so-called "dumb users" (which is a 1990's programmer's notion) to do a 1-click wonder of installing their favorite mods, allowing users to add mods they otherwise wouldn't be aware of and discovering them, and putting mod authors' donating links on the front page and on the technic pack launcher main page.

Believe me, you aren't the first person to come in here asking your questions. And you certainly are just as biased coming in here as your predecessors, although far less vulgar. The bottom line is this: What are the mod authors losing out on by the Technic Pack existing? Personal fame & glory? That's a personal issue getting in the way of fun. Nothing should get in the way of the user's fun, ever. Not me, not mod authors injecting malicious code, nothing.

EDIT: The bottom line is this, permission for many of the mods has been given. Those quotes you sling around like a heavyweight champ are old news. KakerMix and Cheapshot don't feel the need to publicly tout these permissions because Minecraft and Modding has never been about glorifying Java programmers, nor creating a rift between them for giving vs not giving perms (because sadly, some people have that much capacity for hatred). It's about modifying and adding rich content to a game and allowing users to extend their fun. Always.

Seriously this AGAIN!?!? OP: I don't care what "side" you take. Honestly I'm not going to dignify this thread with a response.

indeed. I believe SimpleGuy has pretty much said all that needs to be said on the subject now. as such, I'm locking this because honestly it is pointless.