/Lag, RAM and TPS

smithy285

Ok so my server is going pretty good, it can run max players (which I set as 35) with no lag. But sometimes it just decides to lag for no apparent reason, I have been round peoples bases and there is no massive factory's the size of NASA and there is not general reason to as why it should be lagging. I have dedicated 10 Gig of RAM to my server and judging by other hosting sites that should be a bit of a overkill.

Processor (Leads onto next part)

Intel i5 2500 2nd generation processor (Sandy Bridge),4 cores, 3.3Ghz

So I took a couple of screenshots of the results of /lag, they are below

TPS.png

I understand Maximum memory but I don't really understand Allocated and Free, E.g what is the difference between Maximum and Allocated?

Also can anyone see how I could improve my lag issues?

Thanks!

Maximum Memory is the maximum amount of memory or RAM you have allocated yourself for the system to allocate to the minecraft server process,

Allocated Memory Is the amount of memory the process has been allocated by the system to the minecraft server process,

Free Memory is the amount of free or unused memory that has been allocated by the system to the minecraft server process.

Basically it works like this:

You set an upper limit for what you want the process to be able to use, the process can then request memory from the system up to that limit, anything it has requested but hasn't used yet or has fallen into disuse is free memory.

And yes, 10G of RAM is extremely overkill and unless you are running a 64bit server it won't even be able to use more than 3 - 4G. Make sure you have downloaded and installed Java x64

I currently run a 24/7 Tekkit server on 1.6G with up to 20 players and no world border.

Maximum Memory is the maximum amount of memory or RAM you have allocated yourself for the system to allocate to the minecraft server process,

Allocated Memory Is the amount of memory the process has been allocated by the system to the minecraft server process,

Free Memory is the amount of free or unused memory that has been allocated by the system to the minecraft server process.

Basically it works like this:

You set an upper limit for what you want the process to be able to use, the process can then request memory from the system up to that limit, anything it has requested but hasn't used yet or has fallen into disuse is free memory.

And yes, 10G of RAM is extremely overkill and unless you are running a 64bit server it won't even be able to use more than 3 - 4G. Make sure you have downloaded and installed Java x64

I currently run a 24/7 Tekkit server on 1.6G with up to 20 players and no world border.

Do I need to allocate more memory? Not to maximum obviously but to 'Allocated Memory' ?

No, the system should automatically allocate more RAM up to the maximum as it's needed. (Provided it isn't being actively used by another application or otherwise doesn't actually exisit)

Out of interest exactly how much physical ram do you actually have?

No, the system should automatically allocate more RAM up to the maximum as it's needed. (Provided it isn't being actively used by another application or otherwise doesn't actually exisit)

Out of interest exactly how much physical ram do you actually have?

Ok thanks, I also have 16Gig and I dedicated 10Gig to the server, there is nothing else running in the background. Is there anyway I can test to see if it is my network that is causing the issues?

You might have an item spill somewhere maybe a teleport pipe bouncing back items? (that's what is causing the tick rate to drop to 5)

Teleport pipes are banned, we have CLAG which clears all the dropped entities so no this is not the problem.

Sorry for the double post, I did not know how to add a quote while editing a post D:

• 2 weeks later...

We recently solved this problem on my own server by migrating to a new world...

(I ran both worlds together for a week or so to allow people to move all their stuff over to the new one.)

*MIGHT* be worth you booting up a fresh world, and seeing if the issue persists.

@smithy285

First, I would suggest using CB++ instead of CB http://forums.technicpack.net/threads/cb-upgrading-tekkit-3-1-2.19176/

Second, If you are using CB plugins then check which takes heavy load https://clientarea.minecraftlayer.com/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=33 do /timings merged and /timings merged. Paste log from timings folder to http://pastie.org/ and upload it here.

Also try playing with java parameters http://forums.technicpack.net/threads/new-server-questions-need-a-little-advice-and-ideas.19458/#post-153648

If you are advanced user, you can check with VisualVM which part of Tekkit mod/plugins takes most resources on server thread.

VisualVM.PNG

On current image you can see that server has low TPS because of high amount of Wireless Redstone usage in server thread.

O Thanks Mercury, some neat stuff there.

Yes, I highly support the CB++ point... and I will myself be making a few alterations based on the java parameters post.

(Just to point out how good CB++ is... when running Tekkit we ran Lagg Clear every 3 mins and each time it would delete between 5000 and 6000 entities, with CB++ it now deletes 300-500 every 5mins. And this is only taking 1 of the advantages into account.)

@Djinnii

I think deleting items is not an ideal solution. On CB++ each stack on ground is equal to one item. You can set limit to 1000 or even higher and it still should be fine.

Check latest (ClearLag v1.4) CLAG http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/clearlagg/ - It cleans on demand. Whenever items hit limit, it will remove them.

The only downside of CB++ I see is weather. Afforess made custom weather changes which can't be tweaked in #75 build. Now I have stormy and rainy weather pretty much.

@Mercury

For sure it's not... but this is tekkit... There are a billion things that could "go wrong" in any given second... (leaky pipes can very quickly lagg out a server) And your explanation is kinda what I was referring to...

As for the Latest CLAG... are you sure that works with Tekkit?

And for the weather.. sure we seem to see alot more rain and thunderstorms etc.. but it's not excessive (for the most part though on my server though mods and admins tend to turn off weather pretty quick...)

Plugin-profiling is pretty self explainable. Which part do you not understand?

For launch.bat/launch.sh you can try:

here. Colleague of mine did some science and found out something interesting. Wireless Redstone Addons takes 20% (or even more, up to 46%) of server thread (See image). By disabling this mod (WR-CBE Addons-Bukkit 1.2.2.3.zip) you can have less load on your server . Basicly Wireless Redstone Addons are not important game changers and can be removed without any hassle. You can read more about theme from here. 17% of server thread is used by tickEntity() which are used by mobs and animals. You can play around with bukkit.yml and lower settings like:

java -d64 -server -showversion -Xmn2G -Xms8G -Xmx8G -XX:+UseBiasedLocking -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:+UseG1GC -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=30 -jar Tekkit.jar nogui

Parameters and what they do you can find 
monsters-per-chunk: 35

land-creatures-per-chunk: 7

water-creatures-per-chunk: 2

spawn-limits:

monsters: 35

animals: 7

water-animals: 2

ticks-per:

animal-spawns: 800

monster-spawns: 2

Also check if any players use Enderchests in (somewhat big) factories, with heavy use of them can really take your TPS down.

Plugin-profiling is pretty self explainable. Which part do you not understand?

For launch.bat/launch.sh you can try:

here. Colleague of mine did some science and found out something interesting. Wireless Redstone Addons takes 20% (or even more, up to 46%) of server thread (See image). By disabling this mod (WR-CBE Addons-Bukkit 1.2.2.3.zip) you can have less load on your server . Basicly Wireless Redstone Addons are not important game changers and can be removed without any hassle. You can read more about theme from here. 17% of server thread is used by tickEntity() which are used by mobs and animals. You can play around with bukkit.yml and lower settings like:

java -d64 -server -showversion -Xmn2G -Xms8G -Xmx8G -XX:+UseBiasedLocking -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:+UseG1GC -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=30 -jar Tekkit.jar nogui

Parameters and what they do you can find 
monsters-per-chunk: 35

land-creatures-per-chunk: 7

water-creatures-per-chunk: 2

spawn-limits:

monsters: 35

animals: 7

water-animals: 2

ticks-per:

animal-spawns: 800

monster-spawns: 2

Also check if any players use Enderchests in (somewhat big) factories, with heavy use of them can really take your TPS down.

I use McMyAdmin do I do not know how to launch a jar with that code.

I will probably will disabled WR.

I have disabled EnderChests because they crash my server