What will happen to Tekkit?

So, Tekkit was created as a multiplayer version of tekkie, right? Well, with the 1.3 update, all mods are forced to be multiplayer. So, Technic will also be multiplayer, which eliminates the need for Tekkit. So, after Technic is all multiplayer, what will happen to Tekkit?

No, this is incorrect. There will not be a single programming API for multi and single player together until at least 1.5 (it has been confirmed by Jeb that it won't be 1.4, and nothing else after that has been specifically announced).

And even then, knowing Mojang, it will probably start out rather poorly done at first, and few people will actually use it right away (Nothing is actually FORCING people to use any API over any other, including Mojang's future one).

So... You're looking at probably, oh, I'd say 6-9 months at least until the API comes out, and then 3-6 months before it become not sucky, and people actually want to use it, and then 3-4 months until a solid core of mods actually all convert and update to it.

My estimate: Somewhere between a year to a year and a half until everybody is running fully on Mojang API. And even THEN, there is value in modpacks like Tekkit: having a standardized set of mods is valuable, and lets people know what to expect and allows them to better appreciate others' work, and to help each other with standard problems, share servers and players, etc.

Tekkit will keep going because Technic in 1.3+ would only support LAN. So, Tekkit will still be around.

...You clearly don't understand the implications of 1.3

In 1.3 the code is being merged and SMP/SSP will be the same thing. Any mods that work in SMP will work in SSP. Being in LAN mode has no effect.

The pack is not going away. There is no reason to have 2 packs. So there will be one merged pack.

And actually it will be for 1.4, but that's beside the point.

Honestly, the only important thing I see here is whether they will call it tekkit or technic.

And that isn't very important at all ;P

Actually, it won't. I saw somewhere that on 1.4 we won't need bukkit ports.

Again, as I stated above, jeb has confirmed that the Mojang API will not be out until at least 1.5, or possibly later, even.

So bukkit would definitely still exist after 1.4, and probably even after 1.5 or maybe 1.6. Even after Mojang API comes out, they won't just immediately remove bukkit, because it will take time to get the API to a high quality standard, and time for people to transfer mods over, etc.

It's not like when they invented lightbulbs, candles were suddenly outlawed... Time is needed to transition to new things.

Again, as I stated above, jeb has confirmed that the Mojang API will not be out until at least 1.5, or possibly later, even.

So bukkit would definitely still exist after 1.4, and probably even after 1.5 or maybe 1.6. Even after Mojang API comes out, they won't just immediately remove bukkit, because it will take time to get the API to a high quality standard, and time for people to transfer mods over, etc.

It's not like when they invented lightbulbs, candles were suddenly outlawed... Time is needed to transition to new things.

Read Watchful's post. It has nothing to do with the API.

Gav, you finally slipped up. Watchful said that we won't need bukkit ports, which is true, not that we won't need bukkit. WHat he meant was that mods will no longer need to port to bukkit, as craftbukkit will allow you to use mods and plugins, instea of having to make each mod a bukkit plugin.

sorry, missed the post. But how could it possibly not be necessary to make bukkit ports? Are forge and bukkit folks working together to make the two natively agree?

This is true, cpw is completely redoing craftbukkit so that mods no longer need porting.

Unfortunately, this will take a lot of time. Who knows when it will be ready.

cpw is working to make the two work together.