What kind of server do you use?

pieiscool32

What kind of server do you use to run your minecraft server, as well as specs on the server. an example would be as follows, and this is for my server:

Brand: Dell

Product Name/Model #: PowerEdge T410

RAM: 48 gigs (only 10-14 for MC)

HDD Space: 6T's

Processor: Intel Xeon Quad Core 3.0 GHz

Any Thing Else: I just got it and am planing to use it for my MC server and file server. (MC server is not public (yet)(Whitelisted server PM me for more info))

Why am i asking this? Well i just wanted to see what kind of server(s) other people have, and to see wether i made a good choice with my server. Also the Dell brand is just a personal preference, Don't make comments saying "He is stupid for getting a dell not a Fujlenvma Server" that is not liked and you might get reported. So, what Server DO you use?

My PC I built almost 3 years ago for $500. AMD quad core 2.8ghz with 4gig ram and a 750gig HD.

I run the client on the same machine.

Works pretty good for the 3-4 lan/hamachi connected friends we usually have.

Though I'm sorely tempted to build a cluster of raspberry pi's when production ramps up, and see if I can make a server out of 10 or so.

I run two servers on my personal machine. One is a Tekkit server and the other is vanilla Minecraft.

RAM: 8 gigs

HDD Space: 3TB

Processor: AMD Phenom X4 980 3.7GHz

I used to use Hamachi for letting people connect to it but then I found a service that let me have a subdomain for free. Now I can just give people the URL and port number. Much easier than using Hamachi.

Current Specs:

Old intel dual core 1.8ghz

2gb RAM

500gb harddrive

(it's a 2006 mac mini)

Specs of machine im getting in about a week hopefully:

Intel i5 2400 3.2 ghz

8gb RAM

HD4850

320GB HDD

OS: Gonna start with linux, will probably dual-boot windows as well.

So yeah. Big upgrade :)

Current Specs:

Old intel dual core 1.8ghz

2gb RAM

500gb harddrive

(it's a 2006 mac mini)

Specs of machine im getting in about a week hopefully:

Intel i5 2400 3.2 ghz

8gb RAM

HD4850

320GB HDD

OS: Gonna start with linux, will probably dual-boot windows as well.

So yeah. Big upgrade :)

The hdd size is a BIG _Downgrade_

On the topic of HDDs: If you're looking for a good cheap boost for your server, check out solid state drives. My work laptop sports a 128gig SSD and holycrap that thing tripled in speed when I stuck it in. Use the SSD for your OS and critical apps, HDD for bulk storage. For data safety either get 2 and mirror or just backup to your HDD array weekly with incrementals nightly.

Newegg has a couple good and cheap drives in the 60-ish gig range for under $100. They occasionally show up as shell shockers/daily deals too (my little brother recently grabbed one for $50).

Amazon is another good place to look, though check the reviews on newegg for the same model (if they have it). Amazon can be cheaper but I've never trusted their rating system.

They show up on Woot too, mainly on sellout.woot. Make sure it's not refurbished.

I specifically said SSD for OS and critical progs, HDD for bulk storage.

I know compared to normal platter drives, SSDs are a lot more expensive per gig. But $90 is really cheap for what it does for your machine. My laptop for work will cold boot to desktop in 18 seconds, and that includes login to our AD server.

And you want expensive? Try speccing out 50TB of HDD space with tape backup...

I specifically said SSD for OS and critical progs

How much is on it? How much is it?

My laptop for work will cold boot to desktop in 18 seconds, and that includes login to our AD server.

My mac can do it in like 25, and it has a flat out HDD, what is the difference? I truly don't care how fast my computer can boot, it's not like i can't go brew a cup of coffee and be back in time to log in, as long as it can do that, then I'm happy.

And you want expensive? Try speccing out 50TB of HDD space with tape backup...

Try re-using the tape act backup, hint-hint... (tape is cool, i like it(except for the fact that it's like a dollar fifty a gig))

How much is on it? How much is it?

I don't know any OS install that's more than 25 gigs, and I'm dealing with ghost images of user desktops. A 60gig SSD for $90 normally is easily enough for that, a swap file (not best practice, but good enough), and spare.

My mac can do it in like 25, and it has a flat out HDD, what is the difference? I truly don't care how fast my computer can boot, it's not like i can't go brew a cup of coffee and be back in time to log in, as long as it can do that, then I'm happy.

If my computer is starting up, it's generally because it's monday morning. And monday morning is "Help me my password doesn't work!" time. The sooner I can shut up the whining the better...

Original boot time before the SSD was around 2 minutes.

Try re-using the tape act backup, hint-hint... (tape is cool, i like it(except for the fact that it's like a dollar fifty a gig))

Our self host quote came out ~$80k/year cheaper than the consolidated datacenter the CIO is trying to push us into, I think we did pretty good.

I know doublepost is bad, and I hate advertising for anyone, but: http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=ShellShocker-_-863043-_-03202012_1

Dunno what the price is going to be yet, I'm guessing no more than $150.

Edit: $128, not bad.

There's also a 128gig for $110 with $10 mail in rebate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227776&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL032012&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL032012-_-EMC-032012-Index-_-SSD-_-20227776-L09C

I use my personal rig, handles a 4-man Tekkit server like a champ. Been thinking about making another cheap rig to host the server and be my personal network server.

i5-2500k 3.3GHz, sometimes OC'd

8GB 1600MHz RAM

60GB SSD

500GB HDD

Gigabyte GTX 560Ti

Proposed:

i7-2600 or i5-2400

60GB SSD

16GB RAM

You should be able to run a ~20 man server on your current rig, maybe push it to ~30 if you're not doing other gaming...

Yeah, I just don't have that many friends to play with, and I miss my logistics pipes sometimes. :( Also, chunk loading is a bitch.

• 5 weeks later...

i client and host at the same time on an already weak laptop, but i end up being the only one who lags.

anyway, here are my system specs:

Brand: Acer

model: Aspire 4730z

RAM: 2 GB DDR2, with approximately 20 gigs of swap file (slow as fuck, but helps on intensive programs)

video card: intel onboard chipset. nuff said.

Processor: intel celeron 575

hard drive: i think it is 220 gig, can't remember.