The Science of Tekkit

Zegaroth

Now, many times while playing Tekkit and using the things you normally cannot use in real life (Alchemy bags, Nano-suit armor) I like to think of theories and such of how these would work.

The most recent one on my mind in that Nano-Suit armor is made of buckminsterfullerene, a form of carbon harder then diamond. Here is a video about its discovery: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVZRGcg-BXI

I have had many other theories and ideas, not that they are on my mind now, but I plan on posting them from time to time. As for alchemy bags, I can think of nothing but collapsing space (Without collapsing the mass) which would require ridiculous amounts of energy.

I also think energy collectors could be made in real life, though not very effectively. In our very own sun, matter is converted into energy in the form of light and heat(hydrogen and helium smush into each other from the intense gravity, and then explode), so why can't we reverse engineer this? Well, the main problem is that small amounts of matter produce huge amounts of energy, which means we are going to need gigantic amounts of energy if we plain on making anything useful. Therefor, it doesn't make much sense to use the faint light of the world around you to make matter, which is what an energy collector does.

Until I remember my other cool ideas, that's it. I'll update every once and a while.

Now, many times while playing Tekkit and using the things you normally cannot use in real life (Alchemy bags, Nano-suit armor) I like to think of theories and such of how these would work.

The most recent one on my mind in that Nano-Suit armor is made of buckminsterfullerene, a form of carbon harder then diamond. Here is a video about its discovery: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVZRGcg-BXI

I have had many other theories and ideas, not that they are on my mind now, but I plan on posting them from time to time. As for alchemy bags, I can think of nothing but collapsing space (Without collapsing the mass) which would require ridiculous amounts of energy.

I also think energy collectors could be made in real life, though not very effectively. In our very own sun, matter is converted into energy in the form of light and heat(hydrogen and helium smush into each other from the intense gravity, and then explode), so why can't we reverse engineer this? Well, the main problem is that small amounts of matter produce huge amounts of energy, which means we are going to need gigantic amounts of energy if we plain on making anything useful. Therefor, it doesn't make much sense to use the faint light of the world around you to make matter, which is what an energy collector does.

Until I remember my other cool ideas, that's it. I'll update every once and a while.

That's not how the sun works. What happens is that the strongs bonds linking together molecules (and atoms, in the case of fusion/fission) are broken, unleashing the energy contained in those bonds. Nothing appears, nothing disappears, everything transforms. The matter in those atoms/molecules are still there, be they in the form of alpha waves (helium nucleus) or simple ionized atoms lying around in the sun. It's simply that the energy contained in them had been released. You can't create matter out of energy, at least with the present level of our understanding of physics. The same can be said of UU-matter.

(Hopefully, this is the moment where SimpleGuy uses his awesome nuclear engineer knowledge to explain it IS indeed possible to make matter out of energy, but that would sure surprise me).

• Moderators

Here is the thing, energy is turned into matter all the time. The fundamental step that all complex life requires is photosynthesis.... which is the process of turning sunlight, water, and C02 into Glucose. This energy stored in matter form is the basis for life :)

Here is the thing, energy is turned into matter all the time. The fundamental step that all complex life requires is photosynthesis.... which is the process of turning sunlight, water, and C02 into Glucose and delicious O2 as well :D. This energy stored in matter form is the basis for life :)

Not quite. The energy is used to put the H2O and CO2 together and form glucose and O2, and is stored in the bonds linking those molecules, but no new matter is created in the process. That's the basis of stoichiometry, there's as much matter on one side or another of the equation, and it's true for energy too. Except that the energy that was under the form of photons is now stored in the bonds keeping the glucose together. That's why when our cells burn this glucose, energy is produced, it's this same energy that's released. However, if you suggest that energy collectors might absorb CO2 and H2O from the atmosphere and use the sunlight as the energy of the equation, yes it does make sense.

TL;DR Energy isn't stored in matter form, it's literally stored in matter.

Re-reading this, it might be I'm only fumbling around with syntax, as maybe that's exactly what you meant by matter form; But, eh, I'll post it anyway.

Here is the thing, energy is turned into matter all the time. The fundamental step that all complex life requires is photosynthesis.... which is the process of turning sunlight, water, and C02 into Glucose. This energy stored in matter form is the basis for life :)

Yes, but you're stilling using the water and CO2. The sunlight is like a fuel or power source used to rearrange already existing matter into a different- Never mind, Xylord explained it.

That's not how the sun works. What happens is that the strongs bonds linking together molecules (and atoms, in the case of fusion/fission) are broken, unleashing the energy contained in those bonds. Nothing appears, nothing disappears, everything transforms. The matter in those atoms/molecules are still there, be they in the form of alpha waves (helium nucleus) or simple ionized atoms lying around in the sun. It's simply that the energy contained in them had been released. You can't create matter out of energy, at least with the present level of our understanding of physics. The same can be said of UU-matter.

(Hopefully, this is the moment where SimpleGuy uses his awesome nuclear engineer knowledge to explain it IS indeed possible to make matter out of energy, but that would sure surprise me).

I'm pretty sure you can turn matter into energy, it might not happen in the sun but I read that if anti-matter touches matter they will completely obliterate each other, creating massive amounts of energy (1 ounce of anti-matter=43 megatons of TNT, about that of the Tsar Bomb). Therefore I would expect energy (Though huge amounts would be required) could be turned into matter. And maybe you can't do that, you could be right.

I'm pretty sure you can turn matter into energy, it might not happen in the sun but I read that if anti-matter touches matter they will completely obliterate each other, creating massive amounts of energy (1 ounce of anti-matter=43 megatons of TNT, about that of the Tsar Bomb). Therefore I would expect energy (Though huge amounts would be required) could be turned into matter. And maybe you can't do that, you could be right.

Anti-matter is still an awesomely unexplored field of science, so it might indeed have such properties. C:

Anti-matter is still an awesomely unexplored field of science, so it might indeed have such properties. C:

Woohoo, yay for anti-matter! Anyways, now that we brought that subject up, I had some ideas on how to use it for energy/fuel. It takes more energy to create it then when it explodes, so we would need to find some that already exists. I remember reading somewhere that anti-matter galaxies could exist and we don't even know, because light reacts to anti-matter just like normal matter. This means, if we had a container that could keep it suspended and also we could travel such long distances, we could snag some. NASA is already working on a faster-then-light drive, though it doesn't actually go faster then light. Instead, it makes the space itself that's in front of it shrink down. This way, you can travel 127 light years in only 6 years. As for the container, we can't use magnets because magnets use electrons to work, while anti-matter has positrons (Would anti-electricity be positricity?) that would explode when it comes in contact with electrons. If we can find a way to make a really strong anti-gravity field inside the container, we could keep it in the center and therefore not worry about the 43 megaton of TNT explosion.

Woohoo, yay for anti-matter! Anyways, now that we brought that subject up, I had some ideas on how to use it for energy/fuel. It takes more energy to create it then when it explodes, so we would need to find some that already exists. I remember reading somewhere that anti-matter galaxies could exist and we don't even know, because light reacts to anti-matter just like normal matter. This means, if we had a container that could keep it suspended and also we could travel such long distances, we could snag some. NASA is already working on a faster-then-light drive, though it doesn't actually go faster then light. Instead, it makes the space itself that's in front of it shrink down. This way, you can travel 127 light years in only 6 years. As for the container, we can't use magnets because magnets use electrons to work, while anti-matter has positrons (Would anti-electricity be positricity?) that would explode when it comes in contact with electrons. If we can find a way to make a really strong anti-gravity field inside the container, we could keep it in the center and therefore not worry about the 43 megaton of TNT explosion.

I would be surprised the NASA can physically do anything as awesome as that, with the shitty budget it has right now. And now, talking about gravity, how could we do that? Is there any way we can create a device controlling gravity without relying on other forces? I can hardly imagine it. Maybe using mini black holes related tech?

I would be surprised the NASA can physically do anything as awesome as that, with the shitty budget it has right now. And now, talking about gravity, how could we do that? Is there any way we can create a device controlling gravity without relying on other forces? I can hardly imagine it. Maybe using mini black holes related tech?

Well, science (Or at least Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graviton ) tells us that gravitons are a mass-less particle with an atomic spin of 2. If we can find a way to manipulate these particles, we can create gravity fields.

Well, that's still just pseudoscience. But reading this thread, I want to clear up two things:

1) The sun fuses together 2 particles into one, producing a "new" element, energy and usually a neutron or two. You can calculate the amount of energy released by using E=mc^2, putting m as the difference in weight between the first particles and the new one.

2) The awesome guys at the LHC have already created a fair amount of particles from energy, which means you CAN turn kinetic energy into particles. You just need a lot of it.

Well, that's still just pseudoscience. But reading this thread, I want to clear up two things:

1) The sun fuses together 2 particles into one, producing a "new" element, energy and usually a neutron or two. You can calculate the amount of energy released by using E=mc^2, putting m as the difference in weight between the first particles and the new one.

2) The awesome guys at the LHC have already created a fair amount of particles from energy, which means you CAN turn kinetic energy into particles. You just need a lot of it.

Woohoo, I guess?

1) Yeah, that's the principle of fusion.

2) Sounds very interesting, but I don't plan on believing it without any proof. What is your source?

1) Yeah, that's the principle of fusion.

2) Sounds very interesting, but I don't plan on believing it without any proof. What is your source?

http://cdsweb.cern.ch/record/1165534/files/CERN-Brochure-2009-003-Eng.pdf

http://atlas.ch/what_is_atlas.html#3

They are basically recreating the big bang in there.

-snippety snip-

They are appreciating the hell out of it at CERN, as well as other stations studying small particles.

Whenever a nucleus of any element is formed/changed/broken the nuclear binding energy and nucleonic mass changes due to differing mass defects of different elements. It's just not on a scale humans can really appreciate.

Set up Jenga. Take things away. The structure changes, the stability changes.

Energy removes the matter, the matter remaining is now different.

Really crude and basic representation of that concept.