appleschloss

Server Running Crash Course

Hey everyone. I've been interested in making a server for my custom modpack, but I know next to nothing about what to do, in every aspect. I've been trying to reach out to people via social media for advice, but I haven't gotten much response, so I wanted to reach out here.

I *have* looked at the Technic Tutorial for running a server, but as someone who knows minimal about PCs (but can learn) and has an expensive PC that I don't want vulnerable for attacks, I would like some more information just about running servers in general. Like what is a speed for it to be at? Should I go thru a hosting site or not? If so which one? (I'm willing to pay). What do the numbers all even mean? Some of these expect me to know how to upkeep a server but I don't know any coding at all. I can do BBCode okay, but HTML is still a struggle for me. I do understand what RAM is and some basic things, but a lot of it I just want to be sure on and I'm not.

What advice/steps would you give to someone who's never run a sever before but is interested in learning?

Edited by appleschloss

29 minutes ago, AetherPirate said:

In order to make a server for Modpack without a ServerPack, please read this tutorial from the Technic Help Site: https://technicpack.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203799459-How-to-create-a-server-for-your-Platform-modpack

See I was looking over/following that tutorial but this warning at the top

WARNING: Please note that running server software on your computer without a clear understanding of what you are doing may seriously harm your system and lead to vulnerabilities.

Left me very wary and I want to try and learn more about server software and what it does and good tips on RAM, websites to use for hosting, etc, so I don't leave my PC vulnerable, or just heck it up completely.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Nyrab
      I recently created a modpack, but i can't connect to my friends via Hamachi, so i tried to make a server but it gaves an error that i don't understand
      But in this topic i prefer start of the beggining, i need help to make a server or just a way that i can play with my friends via Hamachi

PS:I want a free way to make it, i tried Aternos but i didn't find some mods that was in my modpack
    • By LonkaGaming
      Your world is save in %appdata% .technic>modpacks<select your modpack<saves
    • By Aztu
      Name is self-explanatory. 
      Modpack name: TMA pack 
      Here's the crash log:
       [18:17:17] [Client thread/INFO] [STDOUT]: [net.minecraft.client.Minecraft:func_71377_b:349]: ---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
      [B#407]  // Sorry
      [B#407]  
      [B#407]  Time: 12.06.19 18:17
      [B#407]  Description: There was a severe problem during mod loading that has caused the game to fail
      [B#407]  
      [B#407]  cpw.mods.fml.common.LoaderException: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/bobmowzie/mowziesmobs/client/model/entity/FoliaathBabyModel
      [B#407]      at cpw.mods.fml.common.LoadController.transition(LoadController.java:163)
      [B#407]      at cpw.mods.fml.common.Loader.loadMods(Loader.java:544)
      [B#407]      at cpw.mods.fml.client.FMLClientHandler.beginMinecraftLoading(FMLClientHandler.java:208)
      [B#407]      at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71384_a(Minecraft.java:480)
      [B#407]      at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_99999_d(Minecraft.java:878)
      [B#407]      at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:148)
      [B#407]      at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
      [B#407]      at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
      [B#407]      at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
      [B#407]      at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
      [B#407]      at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:135)
      [B#407]      at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28)
      [B#407]  Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/bobmowzie/mowziesmobs/client/model/entity/FoliaathBabyModel
      [B#407]      at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
      [B#407]      at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)
      [B#407]      at cpw.mods.fml.common.ProxyInjector.inject(ProxyInjector.java:59)
      [B#407]      at cpw.mods.fml.common.FMLModContainer.constructMod(FMLModContainer.java:512)
      [B#407]      at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor4.invoke(Unknown Source)
      [B#407]      at com.google.common.eventbus.EventSubscriber.handleEvent(EventSubscriber.java:74)
      [B#407]      at com.google.common.eventbus.SynchronizedEventSubscriber.handleEvent(SynchronizedEventSubscriber.java:47)
      [B#407]      at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.dispatch(EventBus.java:322)
      [B#407]      at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.dispatchQueuedEvents(EventBus.java:304)
      [B#407]      at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.post(EventBus.java:275)
      [B#407]      at cpw.mods.fml.common.LoadController.sendEventToModContainer(LoadController.java:212)
      [B#407]      at cpw.mods.fml.common.LoadController.propogateStateMessage(LoadController.java:190)
      [B#407]      at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
      [B#407]      at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
      [B#407]      at com.google.common.eventbus.EventSubscriber.handleEvent(EventSubscriber.java:74)
      [B#407]      at com.google.common.eventbus.SynchronizedEventSubscriber.handleEvent(SynchronizedEventSubscriber.java:47)
      [B#407]      at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.dispatch(EventBus.java:322)
      [B#407]      at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.dispatchQueuedEvents(EventBus.java:304)
      [B#407]      at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.post(EventBus.java:275)
      [B#407]      at cpw.mods.fml.common.LoadController.distributeStateMessage(LoadController.java:119)
      [B#407]      at cpw.mods.fml.common.Loader.loadMods(Loader.java:513)
      [B#407]      ... 10 more
      [B#407]  Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.bobmowzie.mowziesmobs.client.model.entity.FoliaathBabyModel
      [B#407]      at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.LaunchClassLoader.findClass(LaunchClassLoader.java:191)
      [B#407]      at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
      [B#407]      ... 35 more
      [B#407]  Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: net.ilexiconn.llibrary.client.model.tools.AdvancedModelBase
      [B#407]      at com.google.common.base.Throwables.propagate(Throwables.java:160)
      [B#407]      at cofh.asm.CoFHAccessTransformer.transform(CoFHAccessTransformer.java:94)
      [B#407]      at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.LaunchClassLoader.runTransformers(LaunchClassLoader.java:279)
      [B#407]      at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.LaunchClassLoader.findClass(LaunchClassLoader.java:176)
      [B#407]      ... 37 more
      [B#407]  Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: net.ilexiconn.llibrary.client.model.tools.AdvancedModelBase
      [B#407]      at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.LaunchClassLoader.findClass(LaunchClassLoader.java:101)
      [B#407]      at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
      [B#407]      at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)
      [B#407]      at cofh.asm.CoFHAccessTransformer.transform(CoFHAccessTransformer.java:90)
      [B#407]      ... 39 more
    • By Tea15
      I keep trying to search for modpacks but but it says find more on the Technic Platform and it sends me to this page and I click on the modpack i want and i gives me the directions to do the same thing BUT I CANT!! I keep trying what do i do???? Please Help!
    • By 2003Alex2011
      I recently started a Tekkit Legends world and decided to manually add Galacticraft back into the modpack. I've been playing for around 50 hours. After returning to Earth from my space station, I noticed an insane dip in TPS. The /TPS command reveals a TPS of 0.3. I have no idea what caused this, but if anyone has any insight into whatever's going on, it would be much appreciated.
      Information:
      World Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/3mk2wq3u5kesuyq/Tekkit.rar/file
      RAM: Java using 3.4GB of allocated 3.5GB
      If any more information is needed, I will add it here.