Covalence Dust Removed from EE3?

Dr. Zuko

Hello everybody, I am new to the forums here and so this is my first ever post!

So I just started Tekkit Lite and within about 10 minutes of mining I found myself some sapphires! oh what a joyous moment, I made some tools right away. Later on I had acquired redstone and iron, also I noticed my pick was low on durability so I thought "no problemo :), I'll just craft some covalence dust and be good to go!" ....to no avail did I succeed in making it so I looked in the NEI menu and found that there is no covalence dust at all! Tis made me a sad panda :(

Now, my question after that story is whether you guys think covalence dust (at least medium) will/should be brought back in EE3? To be honest I saw it as being quite handy, especially if you have crafted a set of tools from your favorite gem!

Well, keep in mind, EE3 is in very early development. That being said, yes. Covalence dusts will form a large part of the mod. No, you'll not be repairing tools with them, most likely. Gem tools and covalence dust, (yes I know, they were my favourites too) are both slightly OP, which is fine. But mix them together, and you get something very OP. So, my guess is that covalence dusts are not going to repair your tools.

Why would you want to use covalence dust anyways? If you are using the vanilla or redpower tools/ weapons instead of the mining drill, it's probably because you have a good enchantment on them. Using covalence dust strips off that enchantment. I find the anvil mechanic in vanilla to be very balanced and fun to use (as long as you have an xp grinder or breeding farm set up). The only thing they could really alter is to make the max level cap higher.

Using covalence dust strips off that enchantment.

Whuh - really? Because repair talisman certainly doesn't. Didn't, anyway.

While anvils are fun as you say, as long as you have an xp grinder or breeding farm set up

If you don't, no. IC furnaces don't reward XP from smelting at the moment, making the XP economy is a little meh. Covalence dust, I'm not sure is less balanced than XP farms. For me, I have tons of resources from mining, but little XP, EE gives me a chance to convert, in a sense. And I'd be OK with it being more expensive (or slow, in the case of repair talisman+alchemy bag), if that's what it took to make it fair.

Fun thing is, some googling reveals there's new dusts coming up, just that no one knows what they do yet (except Pahimar), and from what he originally said about EE3 was he'd remove condensers, redmatter and energy collectors - to which I am guessing the rest is coming back in some way or form. There's clearly things missing right now, such as alchemy bags with no way to craft them etc. To answer OP's question, I think the repair dust will come back, and I welcome it!

Whuh - really? Because repair talisman certainly doesn't. Didn't, anyway.

While anvils are fun as you say, as long as you have an xp grinder or breeding farm set up

If you don't, no. IC furnaces don't reward XP from smelting at the moment, making the XP economy is a little meh. Covalence dust, I'm not sure is less balanced than XP farms. For me, I have tons of resources from mining, but little XP, EE gives me a chance to convert, in a sense. And I'd be OK with it being more expensive (or slow, in the case of repair talisman+alchemy bag), if that's what it took to make it fair.

Fun thing is, some googling reveals there's new dusts coming up, just that no one knows what they do yet (except Pahimar), and from what he originally said about EE3 was he'd remove condensers, redmatter and energy collectors - to which I am guessing the rest is coming back in some way or form. There's clearly things missing right now, such as alchemy bags with no way to craft them etc. To answer OP's question, I think the repair dust will come back, and I welcome it!

Induction Furnaces have always given XP for me. Electric Furnaces too. Even Tin and Copper. The only thing which never gave me any XP was Bronze.

Get an anvil.

Does the anvil work for gems? Even if it does then you still need to craft a whole 'nother gem pick to repair it; seem's a bit too lengthy and primative of a process for a mod focused on high-tech gadgetry.

Well, keep in mind, EE3 is in very early development. That being said, yes. Covalence dusts will form a large part of the mod. No, you'll not be repairing tools with them, most likely. Gem tools and covalence dust, (yes I know, they were my favorites too) are both slightly OP, which is fine. But mix them together, and you get something very OP. So, my guess is that covalence dusts are not going to repair your tools.

Yeah I can see how those two things can be pretty OP put together now that you mention it; hmm, what if they changed the process that goes into fixing the tools with dusts? or maybe downgrade the amount of dust you receive when creating them?

Why would you want to use covalence dust anyways? If you are using the vanilla or redpower tools/ weapons instead of the mining drill, it's probably because you have a good enchantment on them. Using covalence dust strips off that enchantment. I find the anvil mechanic in vanilla to be very balanced and fun to use (as long as you have an xp grinder or breeding farm set up). The only thing they could really alter is to make the max level cap higher.

Believe it or not but I would be one of those people that sticks to the old school mining tools even after I would create some advanced ones like drills, etc... also, and call me crazy, but I do not focus on enchantments at all haha I could have 30+ XP and not even pay any attention :P

Oooh, that is exciting news! Yeah I would say the condensers and collectors were extremely OP, hax to da max kinda haha. I would only use them for certain building items such as marble and basalt to be honest. Anyways, I sure hope it does with maybe some tweaks on using it to repair tools and how much you acquire of it; I will for sure welcome it as well!

You're missing out. Enchantments got a huge boost in 1.3+, and with enchantable books now you can get some incredible items (respiration 3 makes you auqa man). Thaumcraft, SoulShars, and Redpower add their own enchantments too.

Really!? Awh man that sounds pretty cool actually, I will definitely check it out then. Very neat and interesting that Thaumcraft, SoulShars, and Redpower added their own enchantments as well, makes it more interesting now! :D

Seconded. My wrist hates me for mining without Efficiency, too. The extra modded echantments are so-so - your mileage may vary. Vorpal = lots of mod heads to hang on the wall ;)

Induction Furnaces have always given XP for me. Electric Furnaces too. Even Tin and Copper. The only thing which never gave me any XP was Bronze.

Oh, I see, but not if you macerate first. So the true problem is macerators not awarding XP from ores.

It looks like I can make an automatic enchanting table though, to run on EU, so that is a thing I can try. I wonder if Factorization will make a similar machine to repair things in.

Seconded. My wrist hates me for mining without Efficiency, too. The extra modded echantments are so-so - your mileage may vary. Vorpal = lots of mod heads to hang on the wall ;)

Oh, I see, but not if you macerate first. So the true problem is macerators not awarding XP from ores.

It looks like I can make an automatic enchanting table though, to run on EU, so that is a thing I can try. I wonder if Factorization will make a similar machine to repair things in.

I always get XP if I smelt iron dust. The only thing which never gave me XP was the Induction Smelter from Thermal Expansion. And that's only fair, since it can provide Rich Slag/Regular Slag.

• 4 months later...