Custom Zip Question? Multiple Zip Support

Tim Miller

1. I have not made a server, yet. My intention is for servers to say in their thread, "we use this module, this module, and this module." Then, players install which modules they need, possibly in a unique technic pack instance, or through MultiMC, which is what I am currently recommending.

1. I have not made a server, yet. My intention is for servers to say in their thread, "we use this module, this module, and this module." Then, players install which modules they need, possibly in a unique technic pack instance, or through MultiMC, which is what I am currently recommending.

This is pretty stupid. Custom zips were intended so friends could easily play together and server ops could just give out the custom zip link so people could connect to the server. Just layer them all over each other manually into one end product.

so, you're wanting to be a host for multiple servers?

Ok, well, if you think it seems stupid, that's fine. Still, I hope they add multiple zip support. In the meantime, I will be trying to get it to work with the FTB launcher

I don't intend to host any servers.

but you said above your plan was to offer servers the ability in their thread to provide their zip/module for the players wanting to play on that server. what other idea should one draw from your post?

Ok, there are four modules so far. Core, which is the base. It consists of APIs and a few visual enhancements. Then you have Science&Industry, which requires core. It adds machines and automation, and was inspired by the technic pack and FTB. That kind of thing. Then there is Rails&Transportation, which is the smallest module. It requires Science&Industry and core. It contains methods of movement, using advanced rail and cart systems, as well as a few other ideas that are yet to be implemented. Lastly, there is Fantasy&Adventure, which adds opportunities for exploration, as well as magic. It is mainly inspired by the now deprecated yogbox, and requires core. I liked using both, and often wished that there was some overlap. However, the reason why I have divided it up is because some people I know do not like the automation, while others do not like the magic and exploration. Also, having all of the modules can be a bit stressful for some peoples computers.

Here's an idea:

Assemble a bunch of different packages, each containing a different combination of modules.

Example: Pack 1 - Modules 1,3.

Pack 2 - Modules 1,2,4.

Pack 3 - Modules 2,3,4. And so on.

And then just stick all the links to the zips onto the site with descriptions or whatever.

again though, a player CANNOT connect to a single server without ALL the mods that server uses. The ONLY way multiple zip support would be supported in that case is INDIVIDUAL server(S). Hence my original question of are you planning to be a multi-server host.

As for the client end, one can configure the other 3 custom dropdown choices to be for specfic servers that uses different custom zips.

I will never be a server host. When I release a server version, other people will be able to host servers. I think I will just make a zip with all of the modules compatible for the technic launcher, and, if there never is the multiple zip support, it will just stay that way.

I will never be a server host. When I release a server version, other people will be able to host servers. I think I will just make a zip with all of the modules compatible for the technic launcher, and, if there never is the multiple zip support, it will just stay that way.

I still don't understand what you want. If you're going to do "modules" like that, then you could just set up a bunch of custom zips containing all the possible combinations. Or have users manually install it.

Each module is installed over the others. Core is installed first, followed by the others. I would like to be able to layer the zips on top of one another, having them extract over each other. That's all. I am only using this system so that people with weaker machines don't have a ton of crap in their game that they have no interest in using