A curious thought I've had with regards to PVP/griefing servers

Lothos

Is there not a mod or plugin that allows the server OP to turn off displaying the players name above their head unless they have LoS? I mean, this alone would have saved me alot of headaches personally. But it really would make the PVP more challenging I think if you could actually hide/hunt/stalk.

i used to play on a public server that, as part of a donations package or something, would give you access to a "/sneak" command, this would put the player in crouch mode but still move normally. The nameplate wasn't taken away completely but it was faded enough so you couldn't see it though walls anymore. I don't know what it was called but apparently it exists. It's probably worth mentioning that this was way back in beta 1.3 though.

It was a Bukkit plugin called HeroSneak, it basically made the server send packets to other players "Okay Player 1 sneaking" while Player 1 wasn't. This basically causes Player 1 to appear crouched and able to fall off ledges and walk at normal speed 24/7 until he typed in /sneak again to disable.

Ah, the times when Bukkit plugins were still simple. Vanish started out simple, too. But now there's a lot of useless and buggy BS like lightning strikes and silent joining which doesn't work when all you really wanted was invisibility.

It was a Bukkit plugin called HeroSneak, it basically made the server send packets to other players "Okay Player 1 sneaking" while Player 1 wasn't. This basically causes Player 1 to appear crouched and able to fall off ledges and walk at normal speed 24/7 until he typed in /sneak again to disable.

Ah, the times when Bukkit plugins were still simple. Vanish started out simple, too. But now there's a lot of useless and buggy BS like lightning strikes and silent joining which doesn't work when all you really wanted was invisibility.

Vanish still works great, it's just a bit more complicated to configure than just giving vanish.* now.