IndustrialCraft 2 Wind Turbines

Cisco78

So, I've yet to try the IC2 wind turbines. I kind of don't need them, but recently settled into a massive volcano in the middle of an ocean. I thought it would be neat to add a few wind turbine farms. Seems to fit the whole ocean thing.

If nothing is near the wind turbines, do they still need to be very high for max output? And can glass fiber cable be run under water?

So, I've yet to try the IC2 wind turbines. I kind of don't need them, but recently settled into a massive volcano in the middle of an ocean. I thought it would be neat to add a few wind turbine farms. Seems to fit the whole ocean thing.

If nothing is near the wind turbines, do they still need to be very high for max output? And can glass fiber cable be run under water?

Yes and yes. If you're under level 80, they aren't going to produce any realistically usable amounts of energy

Windturbine at 72 level with practicly hugging a wall produces ~1EU/t.. Ofcourse occasionally they won't produce anything, but they seem to work just fine <80 level.

(And since the map seems to think we are in England its raining every effing day thus said windturbine produces 1.7~1.9EU/t)

Here, let me show what my windfarm powering the factory looks like - with average EU/t per tower. That's 6 blocks between them in height and 8 blocks horizontal between the glass cables (= 6 blocks between turbines where they are next to each others)

By average all together they produce ~230~250EU/t

Windturbine at 72 level with practicly hugging a wall produces ~1EU/t.. Ofcourse occasionally they won't produce anything, but they seem to work just fine <80 level.

(And since the map seems to think we are in England its raining every effing day thus said windturbine produces 1.7~1.9EU/t)

Here, let me show what my windfarm powering the factory looks like - with average EU/t per tower. That's 6 blocks between them in height and 8 blocks horizontal between the glass cables (= 6 blocks between turbines where they are next to each others)

Pretty cool. That's a good amountnf power. I was thinking something similar out in the middle of the ocean would be fun.

I like it! I'd pretty much written off wind turbines because of their unpredictability. This is worth it for the cool factor alone! I've been sticking mostly to solars. At least for my practical energy production. And the compact solars have made the space requirements a bit more reasonable at least from a lag perspective. And anyone that complains that the compact solars ruin balance hasn't made many. They take a long time to produce in quantity!

I like it! I'd pretty much written off wind turbines because of their unpredictability. This is worth it for the cool factor alone! I've been sticking mostly to solars. At least for my practical energy production. And the compact solars have made the space requirements a bit more reasonable at least from a lag perspective. And anyone that complains that the compact solars ruin balance hasn't made many. They take a long time to produce in quantity!

Not if you set up a buildcraft machine to make them. Then you just dump the resources in a box and let the magic happen for you.

Not if you set up a buildcraft machine to make them. Then you just dump the resources in a box and let the magic happen for you.

I've been working mostly with Industrial Craft while my friend has been playing with equivalent exchange. My plan for this weekend was to start hitting Buildcraft and Forestry so I can really begin to automate. I like to ease into things and try new things as I bore. I've found that if I go straight for things like automation the game gets really boring to me. Baby steps...

Compact solors are considered OP by their creator. And in a way they are. The reduced space requirements makes setting up 500+ of them trivial, with less cabling issues and such.

The main reason they exist is to deal with lag.

Though if you want crazy good power generation, it has to be watermills with redpower 2 stuff, or (if it's enabled) Geothermal with EE Lava bracelet gem thingy.