[Auto] Magmatic Crucibles - Suggestions/problems

Robin^

So I've got a Magmatic Crucible connected to a bunch of Magmatic Engines,

producing power which is stored in a Redstone Energy Cell..

The engines get enough lava from the crucible,

and output plenty power into the energy cell which routes some of it back to the crucible..

Only thing I ever need to input is netherrack for the crucible.

Now to the problem at hand:

How do I automatically feed the crucible netherrack? (I don't want to use overflowing pipes)

I know I could connect a hopper to the crucible to auto-feed 4-5 stack depending on which hopper I use,

but I'll still want something to feed the hopper when needed, and without overflow..

I haven't played around with automated item management yet,

so I wanna know if there's a rather simple method I've missed/overlooked?

How can I optimize & automate the crucible feeding process?

and/or

How can I best feed a magma crucible without overflowing pipes?

What, those things come with automated inventory retrieval mechanisms. Just stick a chest next to it and adjust the configuration for it.

Unless it's broken in the latest version (of the mod, not the pack, tested on a custom) then no it doesn't, it has automated Output but not automated Input, you still need something to feed it in which a hopper can do

What, those things come with automated inventory retrieval mechanisms. Just stick a chest next to it and adjust the configuration for it.

Thanks!

That appeared to do the trick, now I'll go setup the Magma Crucible with some netherrack feeding!

Hadn't played around with hoppers, so I didn't know that..

But that solved my problem. (Regular "gray" hoppers work this way, the white ones doesn't seem to work the same way though)

Experiment

I've put a Diamond chest on the ground, 2 hoppers just for the sake of testing on top of the chest, and then put another diamond chest on top with loads of items in it.

So the illustration would look like this:

Layer 3 (Top) - Chest (Input)

Layer 2 - Hopper

Layer 1 - Hopper

Layer 0 (Bottom) - Chest (Output)

Can you provide a photographic illustration so I can visually see your setup, I've notice that the white hopper is able to deposit the netherrack into the magma crucible, however placing a chest on top of it is not working as an input storage?

Can you provide a photographic illustration so I can visually see your setup, I've notice that the white hopper is able to deposit the netherrack into the magma crucible, however placing a chest on top of it is not working as an input storage?

The white hoppers are meant to be used as an internal storage extension for machines while the dark one (vanilla hopper) is meant as a means of transportation.

The white hoppers are going to be renamed to chute when tekkit update to the 1.5.2 version of BuildCraft.

I dont use the Magma Crucible for lava. I use a pump, 4 redstone engines, ender tank, and world anchor and pump nether lava to the Overworld. Then in Overworld, the lava comes out of the ender chest and feeds my power core of 20 magma engines and powers my redstone cells, then which feeds to my power tesseract. That way I can used power from anyplace in the world as long as i dial in to the frequency. Magma Engines are 4 MJ/tick and Combustion Engines are 4MJ/tick, but steam and magma engine don't exploded, they freeze-up instead, just hit them with the crescent hammer and they start back up. Redstone conduit doesnt melt or have a power lost, unlike redstone golden pipes.

The hopper outputs items as gravity would allow, meaning it'll need to be on top of the machine or chest that's going to be fed items, it can input from an adjacent chest.

This is how I've got it installed, have a look: (Vanilla MC Hopper)

2z6ryg4.png

The magma crucible outputs it's lava on it's right, which feeds the engines in the back.

1 Magma Crucible can keep 14 Magma Engines properly stocked with lava as long as you input some netherrack into the diamond chest.

The lever is connecting to both the engines and the crucible to make for easy usage.

For this setup (and larger ones too naturally) it's best to use Redstone Energy Conduits and Liquiducts.

To not limit oneself (conductive pipes cannot handle large amounts of power, or so I've heard),

and to avoid creating unnecessary serverstrain, which regular BS Pipes tend to create.