Best way to prevent Combustion Engine overheating? (Added a possible solution)

Hey guys I have always used the basic system of just pumping from an infinite water source directly into a combustion engine to keep it cooled down.

I've had alot of exploding engines on the latest build. They seem to be caused by water not respawning properly.

I've had the same problem in SSP, but there I could use logistics pipes to sense the overheating and shut down the engine..

Is there a similar system I can implement in Tekkit? All my usual tricks don't seem to be available in SMP..

Re: Best way to prevent Combustion Engine overheating?

Buildcraft 3.x is still SP only, this is posted in General Tekkit SMP so I am going to assume he asked for a way to do this in Buildcraft 2.x

Exactly. I said in my post I used gates on my SSP build. I can't use these in SSP.

The timer idea sounds nice, but you get so much less work out of your fuel that way.

I designed a hopefully not too ridiculous system to combat water pools breaking on me.

[img width=800]

Basically 3 deployers spinning full buckets into rotation and refilling them from 3 source pools that are not attached to the pump and therefor safe from suddenly disappearing. Placing water sources into those 3 spots will refill a 3x3 pool. The Retrievers only pull full buckets from the source-sides and only pull empties from the pool-sides, so there should always be a full bucket (or almost always.) I have 3 buckets in each 'carousel'

I know it's not very elegant, and it may not even solve my problem (I need to test it, and it's pretty much random when a pool will suddenly get emptied by a pump.. something to do with chunk loading, I am sure.)

Occasionally the deployers on the pool-side won't have a full bucket to empty, but they always do the next cycle after. I am going to hook the wireless transmitter to a 15 second time (I want the pool to be refilled every 30 seconds, so the 15 should take into account the occasional blank shot from the deployers.

Basic testing with a pump suggests the deployers will not bother the pool. I'm gonna let it keep running and if necessary report back to this thread.

PS: I know I am brute forcing the problem but I cannot figure out any more elegant solution. I also know I am REALLY overspending on red power electricity. I assume a charged system would only need one battery box and a single panel would be enough to keep the 6 retrievers supplied.. but I wanted to run the system ASAP and the splitting up of the power sources kept down the amount of Blue Allow Wire I had to run... I find the wire SO FINICKY so I hate working with it.

That just means there's a lot more time between "water runs out" and "engine explodes," though. If you still have to manually check on it, that's an issue.

The way I handled it was using a waterproof redstone pipe as part of the line feeding water into the engines. I set the lever up elsewhere and set up an AND gate. One end of the AND gate was listening to the lever, and the other end was listening to a wire I ran from the redstone pipe (you can use wireless redstone to make this less of a pain in the ass to set up). If both were true, then it output a signal to the engines. This way, if there's no water flowing through the pipes, the engines won't run.

That just means there's a lot more time between "water runs out" and "engine explodes," though. If you still have to manually check on it, that's an issue.

The way I handled it was using a waterproof redstone pipe as part of the line feeding water into the engines. I set the lever up elsewhere and set up an AND gate. One end of the AND gate was listening to the lever, and the other end was listening to a wire I ran from the redstone pipe (you can use wireless redstone to make this less of a pain in the ass to set up). If both were true, then it output a signal to the engines. This way, if there's no water flowing through the pipes, the engines won't run.

Heh, it seems so simple. I forgot about the redstone pipes.

Best idea.