A Statement About Offline Mode And Piracy

Cheap Shot

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give it a shot, but I have a feeling it's just a cosmetic change rather than the idea of a different user on the server.

Actually now that it's day time and I've had coffee, I'm curious if it would be possible for the launcher itself to have the ability to change usernames.

If you were to do it in a way where it still required a real Minecraft username and password and it simply just uses a different username when the game loads...

...that would completely solve my issue and still satisfy the requirements for a legal way to update the clients.

Given it's niche uses though, I don't imagine it would be a priority at all, but it probably would make a lot of people out there pretty happy, including myself.

But, I did take a look at the license agreement and I didn't see any mention of username in general. Maybe I'm taking liberties with the wording or the intentions behind the document, but I don't see any reason why it would be wrong in Mojang's eyes to own a license of the game and use a different username on a no-auth server (beyond griefers abusing it to get around username bans).

I say I may be taking liberties with the intention of the document, because the document itself is pretty vague.

Notch doesn't seem to be the kind of guy who would mind this sort of thing, but I'm not going to put words in his mouth. As far as I can tell, he doesn't seem to have ever addressed the issue unless it involved piracy.

I found the mod Cheap Shot was referring to and this looks absolutely what I need.

The question is, how I do get this in Tekkit?

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1046300-11-ingame-user-changer-v1/

It says drop this in your Minecraft jar, but I'm sure not how to locate this with the Techniclauncher

I've located my .techniclauncher folder, so I guess if it's in here, I just need to know the file location relative to that folder.

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out.

The location of the .jar you need to modify is located in

.techniclauncher/tekkit/bin/minecraft.jar

Thanks a lot, Cheap Shot. Really appreciate the help.

There's a mod that lets you rename yourself in game. Have you checked out if that mod works for SMP?

I do believe there is, because the one server I used to play on had some screwy mods on it. (It was Criken's server, for those of you who know or care.) One day I logged into it and found that some of the people had dick put into their name. There was one guy named Newguy and his was changed to Newdick or something like that. One of the mods actually changed her name. So I assume that there is a name changing mod out there, I just don't know where they got it from, and the users themselves couldn't change their name.

Announcements

• Anything claiming to be official Technic servers are not allowed here, for obvious reasons