Nether Spawn Over Lava?

ShoeLace1291

So today I realized that I needed to go to the nether to get Glowstone. I built my portal and went through... somehow, the portal spawned in the Nether right over a gigantic lake of lava... it built a one block platform around the portal, so luckily I didn't fall off. I tried destroying a block of my portal in the overworld to see if that would change the spawn in the nether, but that didn't work.

Is there any way to change the spawn of the nether portal? Or to recreate the whole nether world itself?

PS: Wasn't sure if I should put this in Tekkit board or in the Vanilla board, but I'm playing Tekkit, so yeah.

I'm not aware of any way to get a new Nether. You'll either have to make due with a shitty situation (aka. bring obsidian and build a nice little indestructible platform/fort) or you'll have to move a fairly significant distance away from your current portal and try again; the way that nether portals work is well documented in the MC Wiki.

I guess a third way would be to delete your Dim-1 folder (obviously not while you're in the nether) and create a second nether portal in the overworld at a different location than the first. It wouldn't have to be far from the first, just enough to move your portal spawn to a safer location (remember the 8:1 correlation between the two dimensions). I'm fairly certain that the Nether takes the seed from the overworld, so simply deleting the folder won't give you a different Nether.

Yeah bum deal, but it happens. Nether seed is the same as the overworld seed, so you're stuck with it unless you want to break your overworld too. Best bet is to bring loads of cobble and try to find the nearest land.

That sort of thing would warrant an admin switching to creative and building a safe walkway, in my opinion. Depending on how big that lava lake is, might take a while of holding shift and slowly building a bridge to safety. Better to fly in creative and slap down a quick escape.

Suggestion: Bring a bucket of oil, pour it against the side of the portal, and make yourself a nice safe spot in the middle of the lava ocean. (Oil affects lava like water, but isn't nullified by the nether.)